IGNORED

Physical CD's

Just now, jtwrace said:

I'm in a position that I'm sure most are in or will be at some point.  I have thousands of CD's that are in boxes and have been for nearly 9 yrs.  I don't use them and use TIDAL.  I keep hanging onto them but realize it's silly as I keep trying to minimize my stuff and I'm down to bare bones now but have a hard time parting with 30 yrs of CD's.  I've looked at the Binders that hold 400 but that would then require so many of them and quite frankly I'm not sure that keeping them is really needed anymore.  

I'm so close to just donating them all and being done.  

What do you guys do?  

I'm in the same position, and with DVDs / Blu-Rays as well :/  Just commenting because I expect a lively discussion.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Do you have a cite for a requirement to keep the original CD in your possession?

What if you have proof of purchase - a receipt? 

Or suppose your house flooded and the CD was swept away but you were able to save your portable HDD which had copies of the ripped CD and your purchase receipt...?

This is just a logical corollary to the oft-made statement you must delete any digital copies you have upon sale of the physical media; i.e., if you're asked to prove ownership of a digital file, you must be able to produce the physical CD you ripped it from.

That said, I've not heard that any court in the US has officially ruled on the legality of even ripping files for your own use - everyone just assumes it "should be" OK.  As do I.  But I keep all my physical CDs (yes, taking up LOTS of room) and all my email "receipts" for downloaded tracks.  Better safe than sorry.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system