IGNORED

Hunt for RFI offenders

8 hours ago, marce said:

hearing things can be cured now with help, my voices I use to hear have diminished with the help of professionals, making the world a safer place....:D

Marc

If we all listened to the collective "wisdom" of people like yourself, mansr, spacehound and several others, nobody would ever even bother trying  things like replacing a +5V to +3.3V voltage regulator with a lower noise type such as the .8uV noise LT3045 in the Input PCB of a DIY DAC which supplies the DIR9001 etc. and would accept their assurances that it doesn't matter, and is a waste of time and money., especially as in this case the +5V is already from a very low noise supply .

I did this yesterday in my DIY DAC, and voices sound noticeably more natural sounding on the local Soapies and even the TV news. Even my grandson who is 15 appreciated the improvement. Although he suffers from ADD, he is able to hear clear  differences between Toslink from the TV into the DAC, and Coax SPDIF into the DAC from a Teac STB.

When he comes into my room to watch some TV with me he turns on the amplifier and DAC and switches the DAC input to the STB because it sounds better to him . 

It's a shame that so many of you are " armchair experts" who try to turn your undoubted experience into general rules based on your experience in other areas of electronics.

Get up off your arses and try some of these things that are reported by so many other members in different areas of the forum , before you write them all off as BS !

Alex

LT3045 LM78XX pinout .jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

11 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

none of the list above has anything to do with the other posts

Try to stay on topic

As you always do Mr. Pseudo Scientist  ?

I am quite entitled to reply to posts that were clearly directed at me, as I see fit.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

I am quite entitled to reply to posts that were clearly directed at me, as I see fit.

You are the Pseudo; not me.

You are quite entitled to post gibberish without understanding digital sound, but it does make people avoid your advice.  But that is a good thing in terms of SQ.

Now, get back in your rocking chair and try to calm down.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Unfortunately for you Mr. Pseudo Scientist, quite a few members in other areas of the forum do appreciate my suggestions, especially in the PSU and USB areas, and do frequently report back improvements after trying them.

So back on IGNORE you go again, unless in the highly  unlikely event of you actually contributing something positive towards improving Computer Audio.

All you ever contribute is NEGATIVITY and SARCASM , and do silly things like posting your real name and address for the whole world to see !!!

Unlike you, I have nothing to hide though.

BYE !

Sandy - Please don’t get personal. Calling a real scientist a pseudo scientist is a personal attack. 

Sit back, relax, play some tunes and ignore those who’d surely like you to ignore them. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Sandy - Please don’t get personal. Calling a real scientist a pseudo scientist is a personal attack. 

Chris

This particular member has a history of attacking almost everything I say, and has several times called me a liar in open forum about the contents of PMs that I sent him originally in good faith.  

Scientists are expected to have integrity.

I would have expected that being labelled as a Liar in open forum several times, is far worse than calling someone a Pseudo Scientist ? 

I would have been quite happy at the time for you to check the PMs that were sent to him, and made that clear at the time.

Alex

Garry

In my case , I need to have an indoor DTV antenna with a low noise MHA not far from my W10/64 PC.

The USB leads to the mouse and keyboard especially , cause quite a bit of interference to DTV reception, with clip on ferrites not much help.

Alex

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

They aren't and you don't.

You appear to  'trawl' the topics to see if there is an opportunity to ride your hobbyhorse, regardless of whether  your hobbyhorse is relevant to the topic or not. 

And as from what your posts say you seem to totally lack any understanding whatsoever  of how 'digital' actually works you find a lot (or those that can be bothered)  of the people that do understand disagreeing with you.

Lacking any coherent  arguments and finding we are not impressed by your tiny number of 'valued experts'   you throw insults that would have got anyone else kicked off years ago. Probably because you have a high entertainment value. That you frequency flounce off the stage with a "Bye!" and promptly come back five minutes later is also amusing.

(I'm quiet old too, though not fully retired, As you get older it is harder and harder to encompass ideas that leave any 'expertise' you might have a long way behind. You don't even try.

If we were 'wrong' there wouldn't be any computers, we wouldn't have got to the moon, there wouldn't be any space probes, and you wouldn't have a bank card or a mobile phone.)

42 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

If we were 'wrong' there wouldn't be any computers, we wouldn't have got to the moon, there wouldn't be any space probes, and you wouldn't have a bank card or a mobile phone.)

Here we go again, The God complex that some of you E.E.s  suffer from.

One thing we can't accuse you of being, is MODEST !

E.E.s are no more infallible than any other human being, and they also become redundant like any other underperforming employee, and they also make quite a few mistakes on the way too, even  the great Intel, as was shown recently  !

59 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Neither would the world be the closest to the brink of total destruction as it has been since the Cuban crisis, or would global warming be such a problem. The list goes on and on, and on.

Big Brother is intruding into every aspect of our lives, and guess who helped to facilitate it ?

You don't want me to keep posting in a thread ? Then stop trying to drag me back into it again by directing further replies to me.

Simples !

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Was this an AC powered radio?

You mention the circuit the LJet was on being a different one, so RFI might be supplemented by line transmission (?)

The radio was battery powered.

The Laserjet is on a different circuit in the house away from IT equipment which is fed by a 230V/110V 2kVA transformer. Once the printer was off, the 230V cable was pretty quiet.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Garry

In my case , I need to have an indoor DTV antenna with a low noise MHA not far from my W10/64 PC.

The USB leads to the mouse and keyboard especially , cause quite a bit of interference to DTV reception, with clip on ferrites not much help.

Alex

Several turns through the ferrite would help?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

1 minute ago, One and a half said:

Several turns through the ferrite would help?

The clip on ferrites I obtained are too small to do this.

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Here we go again, The God complex that some of you E.E.s  suffer from.

One thing we can't accuse you of being, is MODEST !

E.E.s are no more infallible than any other human being, and they also become redundant like any other underperforming employee, and they also make quite a few mistakes on the way too, even  the great Intel, as was shown recently  !

3 hours ago, One and a half said:

The final reveal, like the reality renovation shows...

Here's the list

1. HP Z800 tower style workstation
  2. Lenovo mini computer i7
  3. HP Laserjet M252 network printer
  4. Topaz 1000VA transformer
  5. TPlink 24 way network switch
  6. Generic 12V 2A SMPS
  7. Dell 24in monitor
  8. Mac mini 2010 vintage
  9. QNAP 419P NAS
  10. Asus wireless repeater
  11. Mutec MC-1.2 USB to S/PDIF converter
  12. Accuphase E-450 integrated amplifier
  13. iPhone 8 plus 

Without a signal strength meter on the radio, all I had was a this is noisier than thou and compared directly. The bad items are red, tolerable in yellow, made no noise are green.

Green Devices

Accuphase E-450 integrated amplifier

iPhone 8 plus 

Mac mini 2010 vintage

Topaz 1000VA transformer

TPlink 24 way network switch

Yellow Devices

Asus wireless repeater - Beyond 600mm distance it was dead quiet

HP Z800 tower style workstation - Only noisy if the radio was right up against the computer

Red Devices

Lenovo mini computer i7

HP Laserjet M252 network printer

Generic 12V 2A SMPS

Dell 24in monitor

QNAP 419P NAS

Mutec MC-1.2 USB to S/PDIF converter

Finally when the QNAP NAS was shutdown and off, there was still noise coming from the SMPS. Once the SMPS was disconnected from the AC,  and allowed time to discharge, did the noise finally vanished. This is now disconnected.

The LaserJet would be the loudest noise and several frequencies. It's on a different circuit in the house.

The Lenovo mini PC was let down by its SMPS 20V 5A, not used anyway.

The Mutec was very bad, very similar to the Generic SMPS, lots of frequencies and the strongest noise from the left of the device where the Meanwell SMPS is fitted. The MC-1.2 can work off USB power and this is how I left it. 

After this test was completed, I had to head off away from home, so couldn't check the before and after on the main system.

Much as I would expect, with a few anomalies.

1) Apple computers  are always made as cheaply as possible. The good performance of the Mac mini is probably due to its metal case., which is only there to 'justify' its price.

2) Maybe the good performance of the HP workstation is a leftover from when they were the finest instrumentation manufacturer in the world.  I would have expected it to be bad.

3) Your 24 way (far more ways than most) network  switch must be a particularly good one. 

iPhone. It will likely  be much higher when it is responds to a 'poll' from the tower to find out if it still in the area of the tower's coverage. That  will  be true when you are making a call or receiving one too of course, but you won't notice it  or measure it then.  May be worth leaving it on top of your AM radio for a while and listening to what happens, these 'polls' don't happen unless the tower 'thinks' it might have vanished as it has neither made a call nor received one for some time  and makes a check, as obviously those two actions 'alert' the tower.

Be interesting to see what these very expensive Microsoft 'Book' PCs are like, but I'm not going to buy one to find out..

50 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Neither would the world be the closest to the brink of total destruction as it has been since the Cuban crisis, or would global warming be such a problem. The list goes on and on, and on.

Big Brother is intruding into every aspect of our lives, and guess who helped to facilitate it ?

You don't want me to keep posting in a thread ? Then stop trying to drag me back into it again by directing further replies to me.

Simples !

It doesn't start by anyone 'directing' anything to you, neither one and a half nor anyone else was asking for your 'improvements'. You just look for things  that  give you a chance to ride your hobbyhorse .

One and a half was just measuring stuff as it is now.

As for your 'moral' judgements, I take  it you don't have a PC or Mac?

You do know who 'kicked off' the home computer scene don't you? They did it only  to  increase  the 'man in the street's awareness of computers,  rather than leaving it to a small community of nerds,   so if he becomes an 'important  businessman'  he makes his company buy some big ones.

They never intended to stay in the home computer trade once  that was achieved, they just flogged the whole operation to Lenovo who of course pay Chinese wage rates.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@sandyk and @Spacehound - Nobody wants to read your arguments. Take it to PM if it’s really about the substance and not about beating your chest in public. 

Fine. But I am not the only one that commented.

And I have  drawn sandyk's attention to its 'off topicness' no less than three times. but he continues to 'publicly'  berate/insult  us even when not replied to.