IGNORED

Hunt for RFI offenders

The noise picked up by the radio is energy that's escaped the Faraday cages, so fat lot of good that does, and the 'best of intentions' as far as EMC Class B emissions for conducted noise. The reason for the 'best of intentions' statement, for testing EMC from equipment statements is dubious to non existent in the real world. Ever noticed the first part of an IT device packaging that has printed material is not the user manual, but the obligatory EMC statement, that the device complies with FCC et al. Throw this in the recycle bin amid all the other packaging materials. 

If that energy is picked up by the radio, how much of that energy is capacitively coupled to the ground plane at the source, where the energy is lot more intense. 

Some may argue that RF frequencies don't matter for audio bands, however, audio relies on very small voltages to extract minute details of recordings, and if coupled RF/common mode noise/differential mode noise is added to signals, then RF emissions do matter. SMPS are a classic noise generator, they have no place near audio systems. Sure, some SMPS are just as quiet as a linear (like one in a million designs), the piece of paper shipped with it says so, hahahahaha! Pull the other one.

Another classic example is to use a laptop -> (any) USB cable -> DAC and listen. Add in a (ISO)Regen/Intona/Micro 3.0/sOTMxxx to the chain and listen again. There's a reason why USB fixers still sell. Ethernet is not off the hook either.

The Jim Brown site is quite a good reference, it will take some time to digest. Hams are very keen to remove RF as it impacts on transmissions, however 'small' these usually IT devices are, they create a lot of havoc. I doubt an SMPS is in the same radio shack as the rest of the gear they use.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

3 hours ago, Spacehound said:

Sorry, my post above  screwed up and I can no longer edit it.

Well yes, if you are talking about noise generated inside  each box then a Faraday cage won't stop it interfering with itself.

And as has been pointed out, RFI is so far outside the audio band, and the usual frequency response of amplifiers etc. that it simply won't have any effect.

Regarding 'minute details' the only 'minute detail' involved is the output from a moving coil cartridge, which I have already covered.

Here's a table taken from a you tube video from Hans Beekhuyzen "Audio Hygiene 3 Interconnects".

This table, very simply stated is a dynamic range table and the bits required to create that range. We only have 2V nominal to work with as a line out, so here's the able to the bare minimum of 20bits, of course most hires audio files are 24bit PCM.

image.thumb.png.46da6f8dff4c2066d4b195b6c6e29232.png

Fine details are specs of 'dust', and the audible ones, often discussed here at which level perception starts is another issue. At -72db these are mV and -96db in the microvolt ranges. For a DAC to produce these levels, it would infer that these values are clear of noise to be reproduced by the DAC correctly. When RF is free to propagate at will, what guarantee do you have that these voltages are out of the audio band and won't cause playback issues in a DAC?  A DAC of course is where D meets A.

2 hours ago, Spacehound said:

While I agree about it being analogue, it's a representation, as you say. It's not somethin that you have to amplify or whatever accurately.

Silberman is only a snake oil cable  manufacturer so I take no notice of him. As for  the others, Rankin talks  pure bollox at times. Swenson  is better but I think he is mistaken on some things.

Anyway, "appeals to authority", of which you seem so fond, are a logical fallacy because they  prove nothing either way.

So are these references worthless?

Footnote 1
For those who are truly interested in diving in deeper...

High Speed Digital Design: A Handbook of Black Magic
Howard Johnson, Martin Graham, 1993

High Speed Signal Propagation: Advanced Black Magic
Howard Johnson, 2003

Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering
Henry W. Ott, 2009

EMC for Product Designers, Fourth Edition
Tim Williams, 2007

Grounding and Shielding: Circuits and Interference
Ralph Morrison, 2007

Digital Circuit Boards: Mach 1 GHz
Ralph Morrison, 2012

Solving Interference Problems in Electronics
Ralph Morrison, 1995

Noise and Other Interfering Signals
Ralph Morrison, 1991

Read more at https://www.audiostream.com/content/theres-no-such-thing-digital-conversation-charles-hansen-gordon-rankin-and-steve-silberman-p#RSUrc61YKh1Tmc9z.99

16 hours ago, motberg said:

FWIW.. I have a TriField meter.. from memory, worst offenders in my room are the LPS´s, I wrap these with a few layers of Mumetal if they are close to anything I think may be sensitive. However iirc 18 CM distance = 2 layers of 1.5mm Mumetal. Also 1 large sheet Mumetal =$25 USD .. so....

I have a strange situation on the analog side... I think it is related to tube gear only.. if I have a tube preamp connected with non-shielded XLR or RCA cables, I get an intermittent audible whistle at 7.5kz (similar sound to what I think I hear sometimes from a computer monitor). If I use balanced shielded cables, then this whistle seems to be reduced to near inaudibility or eliminated. I am not sure if it is the tube preamps, but seems to not happen with SS preamps... I have tried trouble shooting the exact source with no success. I think I had the same problem with 4 different tube preamps, though again, not sure if that is the source due to the intermittent nature of the whistle makes it difficult to positively identify (not only that, is that I think during troubleshooting I start to hear the whistle and I am not sure if it is really present.. the frequency seems similar to what is described as tinnitus..).

I was thinking it should be pretty easy to test RFI effects by introducing the offensive stuff into the system and record silence into a DAW equipped battery laptop, but haven't yet sketched out the test procedures or checked the noise floor of a typical laptop mic input (could always use a home studio USB ADC I guess). That way, no need rely on hearing sensitivity, transducer accuracy or eliminating masking during music playback.

This is an interesting problem you have and out of this thread but related. Could you copy the contents and start a new thread? You would obtain better focus and outcome. 

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Was this an AC powered radio?

You mention the circuit the LJet was on being a different one, so RFI might be supplemented by line transmission (?)

The radio was battery powered.

The Laserjet is on a different circuit in the house away from IT equipment which is fed by a 230V/110V 2kVA transformer. Once the printer was off, the 230V cable was pretty quiet.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Garry

In my case , I need to have an indoor DTV antenna with a low noise MHA not far from my W10/64 PC.

The USB leads to the mouse and keyboard especially , cause quite a bit of interference to DTV reception, with clip on ferrites not much help.

Alex

Several turns through the ferrite would help?