IGNORED

The Best for the Least

11 hours ago, mansr said:

There is no she here. Imagine how my place looks.

She's very tolerant as she's the only one in her 'circle' that owns a genuine nerd. On the evening I first met her later on we were in her house, hands and knees on the floor, with a big sheet of paper and me explaining 'entity-relation' databases.

5 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

So  much unhappiness, discontent and disagreement in response to what should be a simple question.  Other than Ralf11's suggestion of a $10k system is anyone else here very happy with their system at a price point less than that? (I ask about "their system" because anyone can put together a theoretically great sounding system on paper, I much prefer a system someone has personally chosen to live with long term and is willing to stand up for its excellence.)

$6k Maggie 3.7i speakers

$2.4k Schiit Yggy DAC

$0.7k Schiit Vidar amp

- 0 -  your existing computer onto which you rip your existing CDs

$0.1k cables

--------------

call it $10k for a really fine system; 

I'm quite happy with mine that also includes a bunch of very attractively priced Maggies, but except for the manufacturer discount, it doesn't qualify as "Least Cost." 

Yeah, I suggested a system around 5000 UK pounds (approx. 6000 dollars) and all readily available on the UK 'high street.

I also suggested an alternative amplifier that could replace the somewhat 'over the top' (but fully able to support later, upgraded' systems) first suggestion  and halve the overall cost to £2500 but still give excellent sound. with the rest of the equipment.

I only own  two pieces of the equipment I recommend but have heard all of it. To me that's much better than GUTB's 'theorising'.

And of course if you really want a 'budget' system there is stuff like Sony music systems, with Sony  speakers in the price, at various prices and 'grades'  pleasing hundreds of thousands of people all over the  world.

Buying used will save you up to 50%. Note that not all warranties are transferable. Note also that ordering from overseas can make a warranty nearly worthless.

or

I suggest:

Omega Audio speakers

Schitt Audio stack: Gungir Multibit(Yggy will be better but at a cost) and Vidar amp (note: you will need volume control in there somewhere and consider remote control if you change tracks and disks a lot))

Blue Jeans cables or DIY with Duelund wire

Your own computer running JRMC

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

3 hours ago, Confused said:

I think the LS50's would be a fine choice in a cost-effective system, you can double the price of the KEFs and still struggle to find anything significantly better.  This makes me think about the 'wireless' / active LS50.  $2200 for a fully active system?  Depending on what you are looking for, this might be very hard to better for the price.

I think the wireless LS50's are a fine choice for a "once and done" system (non audiophiles). Doesn't work though if your planned mode of operation is to upgrade 1 system component annually.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

12 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I think the wireless LS50's are a fine choice for a "once and done" system (non audiophiles). Doesn't work though if your planned mode of operation is to upgrade 1 system component annually.

I agree the LS50's are quite good, but I found I couldn't fully enjoy them without a subwoofer.  The sub didn't need to be extraordinarily expensive.  I thought them lean and lacking below 100 hz without that help.  Those speakers and a good sub are a good value for the performance you get to enjoy.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Looking at my system:

Custom linear power PC: $1.5k

Holo Cyan DSD: $1k

Schiit Freya + tubes: $1k

Linnenberg Allegros: $5.5k

Fritz Carbon VII SEs: $2.5k

Cables: $2k

Add power stuff and software and we’re around $14k. If I add the turntable gear I’m up to $16k. Room treatments are definitely over $1k....

So what could I do to bring this down to the bare minimum I could live with?

Source: Gigabyte/MSI motherboard with clean USB custom PC - $0.5k

DAC: Chinese dual transformer 9038 / 4497 DIY - $0.3k

Amp / Pre: NAD 316 - $0.3k (used)

Speakers: Fritz Carbon VII SEs - $2.5k (I haven’t anything less that I could live with).

Cables: Amplifer Surgery silver plated interconnects and Audio Sensability speaker cables - $0.5k

So a little over $4k. The main problem is finding speakers I won’t hate for less than $2.5k.

Source: Intel NUC with the J3455. No fan noise that I've ever heard out of these. $130

4GB RAM: $32

1TB SSD: $249

FLAC: Free

Linux: Free

Jriver: $49

JRemote (run it headless)

DAC: Presonus 2 | 6 $199

Speakers: JBL LSR 308's (active/powered) $500

Sub: Two SVS NSD-12's $800

For under $2000 I don't see it being easily bested. 

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Only if the choice of the LS50W for 'once and done' includes not minding about poor connectivity/dropout issues and lack of gapless playback support!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

10 minutes ago, plissken said:

Source: Intel NUC with the J3455. No fan noise that I've ever heard out of these. $130

4GB RAM: $32

1TB SSD: $249

FLAC: Free

Linux: Free

Jriver: $49

JRemote (run it headless)

DAC: Presonus 2 | 6 $199

Speakers: JBL LSR 308's (active/powered) $500

Sub: Two SVS NSD-12's $800

For under $2000 I don't see it being easily bested. 

Interesting that you are paying more for transducing sub-bass than the rest of the range.

I wonder if there aren't any equally good but cheaper subs around?

Or better wider range speakers for $1300?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

13 minutes ago, adamdea said:

Any old nas. Rpi as server. Rpi as renderer (probably with digi board). Dsp antimode as dac and drc. Active speakers aux choix.

if on a tight budget don’t bother with the antimode and just get a hat dac. 

I wouldn't even bother with a NAS - the RPi as the server & external drive will do.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

7 minutes ago, semente said:

Interesting that you are paying more for transducing sub-bass than the rest of the range.

You need to get ears on the 308's. I think you would be hard pressed to do better for $1300. 

You could maybe go to the BIC H100 II X2 for $500 bringing the total to $1000 for the speaker stack. I consider $400 for a Sub pretty low price to begin with. 

23 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

I wouldn't even bother with a NAS - the RPi as the server & external drive will do.

I was sort of taking it as read that everyone had one knocking around. But yes- USB drive into pi, or just into router, if your router will do that. 

You are not a sound quality measurement device

5 hours ago, Melvin said:

In the $1500 & under category:

$500 - Bluesound Node 2

$190 - APPJ PA0901A integrated amp

$40 - Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7

$40 - Mullard EL84 (matched pair)

$700 - Omega Super 3i Monitors

Add cables, NAS and/or streaming service and you're good to go.

It sounds a whole lot better than it ought to at this price point. Obviously it sucks according to some here at CA.

Looks like a great little system to me!

59 minutes ago, semente said:

Well the Dayton Audio subs are surprisingly good for not much money.  Not as good as SVS or Rhythmik.  They are able to provide bass and not muck up the rest of the sound.  Their main shortcoming is playing bass with extreme loudness.  In the role of taking the load off of smaller speakers and providing a commensurate level of bass to go with it they work pretty well. 

$149 for a powered 12 inch, and $198 for a 15 inch. 

If one has the room, where they can utilized in a distributed sub assembly, one can manage room modes and such with several subs in several locations.  So in some cases a set of 4 subs spread around correctly vs one good sub in one location might be a valid alternative for the same money.  Of course if money weren't a factor I would go with 4 Rhythmiks.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

13 hours ago, GUTB said:

This juxtaposition of experience and knowledge vs belief is striking. What do you base your belief of small class D monitors with plastic baffles performance on besides they are mentioned a lot on the Internet?

Boy, and you would never do anything like that....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, Norton said:

Resonessence Mirus Pro (via SD Card) +

Low power SS power amp (say 30 watt Pass Labs)+

Pair Klipsch Cornwalls, Fortes, or Crites  Cornscalas 

c $17 k all in new, or $10k used.

Pretty much what I have.

If you noticed I made a contribution already. You just have to have topics I'm interested in. I'll even post some details about my office system because it fits the topic. And I expect some criticism for the SACD/CD player I used  a Sony Playstation but that's OK.

13 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

And I expect some criticism for the SACD/CD player I used  a Sony Playstation but that's OK.

No, it is known to be a good player. AFAIR, John Devore used one at an audio show to demonstrate his expensive speakers with some pretty good tube amps. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, esldude said:

I agree the LS50's are quite good, but I found I couldn't fully enjoy them without a subwoofer.  The sub didn't need to be extraordinarily expensive.  I thought them lean and lacking below 100 hz without that help.  Those speakers and a good sub are a good value for the performance you get to enjoy.  

hmm... they do better than my Magnepan 1.7s for low bass in a 12x12 room, just not as flat in response for the range above 50hz. The main limitation/plus I see for the LS50's are that they are small room speakers... put them in a large room and their limitations will be exacerbated.  A bigger listening room though drives a more expensive system for watts and speaker dispersion integrity over distance.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system