IGNORED

The Best for the Least

14 hours ago, bigbob said:

It is a HAT that couples directly on the 40-pin PIO. Software will be Volumio, with the control in my Smartphone. It cost 99 cents for the app. The Raspberry has Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

can the allo boss be used with other software besides volumeiio?

e.g. can it be used as a dlna enet appliance via jriver like sonore or sotm? 

Volumio is just a distro of Linux, as I understand it. It replaced the "Audiophile Linux". RaspPi uses a Linux distro called Rasperian which is a lightweight OS in the Debian tradition, and although I am not familiar with everything yet, I am going to say that if it will run on a Linux OS then it should run on a RasPi. Volumio is a 'headless' DMP, meaning you don't need a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to operate it, only a smartphone or tablet. Since I also want to watch movies on my 32-inch flat screen, I am investigating VLC media player also...but, in all honesty, I am very new to the RasPi world, so I am not your best resource.

4 minutes ago, bigbob said:

Volumio is just a distro of Linux, as I understand it. It replaced the "Audiophile Linux". RaspPi uses a Linux distro called Rasperian which is a lightweight OS in the Debian tradition, and although I am not familiar with everything yet, I am going to say that if it will run on a Linux OS then it should run on a RasPi. Volumio is a 'headless' DMP, meaning you don't need a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to operate it, only a smartphone or tablet. Since I also want to watch movies on my 32-inch flat screen, I am investigating VLC media player also...but, in all honesty, I am very new to the RasPi world, so I am not your best resource.

a quick research shows that the allo boss can be used as dlna client, but it's dsd support is limited....probably still great bang for buck though!

17 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

the human ear can almost detect Brownian motion of air molecules

Brownian movement? You mean - "The erratic random movement of microscopic particles in a fluid, as a result of continuous bombardment from molecules of the surrounding medium." The key is, IN A FLUID. Air cannot be described as a fluid, unless liquefied. Air itself, is not dense enough to have Brownian movement.

OK the biochemist in me got the best of me. Sorry - Back OT.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

10 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Brownian movement? You mean - "The erratic random movement of microscopic particles in a fluid, as a result of continuous bombardment from molecules of the surrounding medium." The key is, IN A FLUID. Air cannot be described as a fluid, unless liquefied.

A fluid can be gas or liquid.  Air in gaseous form is a fluid.   The random movement of air molecules is what causes Brownian motion of eardrums. 

32 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

a quick research shows that the allo boss can be used as dlna client, but it's dsd support is limited....probably still great bang for buck though!

I have quit worrying about DSD.

I am content with PCM 24/192.

I am testing the Schiit Modi Multibit that Jason sent me...and although I have never heard a DSD, I have heard SACD, and I really would have a hard time spending $25/album to upgrade.

Subscription downloads are not an economical option either.

So, unless DSD really takes over recorded music, I am pleased with Schiit based on what I am hearing. This "Mimby" now has me thinking about getting the S/PDIF card for the RasPi and using the Multibit external DAC...a better use for $249 than 10 DSD albums, in my opinion.

It is getting harder to be 'on the Cheap.'

When you combine a Mimby with RasPi and Digi output card, you are starting to get close to the lower end of the Music Servers, cost wise.

10 minutes ago, bigbob said:

I am testing the Schiit Modi Multibit that Jason sent me...and although I have never heard a DSD, I have heard SACD, and I really would have a hard time spending $25/album to upgrade.

So, unless DSD really takes over recorded music, I am pleased with Schiit based on what I am hearing. This "Mimby" now has me thinking about getting the S/PDIF card for the RasPi and using the Multibit external DAC...a better use for $249 than 10 DSD albums, in my opinion.

When you combine a Mimby with RasPi and Digi output card, you are starting to get close to the lower end of the Music Servers, cost wise.

I understand your thinking...i just always have a hard time associating "best of anything" to "pcm only", unless the title was "best pcm only solution"....

I am sure since "jason provided you a dac", that there will always be some bias there (wink).

My experience will always be different, as in my book, native dsd will always be a part of my solution.

1 minute ago, bigbob said:

Well, I have a mini-PC that I bought from Craigslist for 20 USD (a dual core Pentium-D low power model). It runs Daphile currently, but could run Volumio probably pretty well.

I am in your neck of the woods as far as price, as well.

My system so far is:

Audio Research SP-16 Preamp - 1000 USD

Kenwood L-07M monoblocks - 250 USD

TEAC UD-501 DAC - 499 USD (NOS)

ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 speakers - 350 USD

Sanus speaker stands - 100 USD

Cable - various - 100 USD

So my total - 2319 USD for the system. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

Have you tried any room correction software (e.g., Dirac) on your system?  One of the reasons people stay away from DSD is because it's not straightforward to apply room correction DSP.  Room correction DSP can have a huge impact in the quality of sound.   Don't be surprised if DSP'd PCM surpasses native DSD in your system.  

19 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I understand your thinking...i just always have a hard time associating "best of anything" to "pcm only", unless the title was "best pcm only solution"....

I am sure since "jason provided you a dac", that there will always be some bias there (wink).

My experience will always be different, as in my book, native dsd will always be a part of my solution.

Not a bias, I have a contact at iFi also and tested two of their entry level nano units. If I could get a loaner from other manufacturers, I would test them and return after. Full disclosure, I own Schiit Modi 2 and a AQ Dragonfly v1.2. I lean toward Schiit because I have found the music to be less 'technical' and more 'musical' which is say that it just sounds better. The DSD and Bluetooth of the iFi unit is not a deal maker for me.

In my CAOTC, I want to make recommendation based on best for the least. 

I really don't care if someone wants and can afford a DSD solution, and they want a portable headphone amp, then iFi is the way to go. I just don't think MQA or DSD is in my future because of my tight budget.

25 minutes ago, patagent said:

Have you tried any room correction software (e.g., Dirac) on your system?  One of the reasons people stay away from DSD is because it's not straightforward to apply room correction DSP.  Room correction DSP can have a huge impact in the quality of sound.   Don't be surprised if DSP'd PCM surpasses native DSD in your system.  

have done extensive listening to both, and have always preferred DSD over PCM with or without room correction.

3 minutes ago, bigbob said:

Not a bias, I have a contact at iFi also and tested two of their entry level nano units. If I could get a loaner from other manufacturers, I would test them and return after. Full disclosure, I own Schiit Modi 2 and a AQ Dragonfly v1.2. I lean toward Schiit because I have found the music to be less 'technical' and more 'musical' which is say that it just sounds better. The DSD and Bluetooth of the iFi unit is not a deal maker for me.

In my CAOTC, I want to make recommendation based on best for the least. 

I really don't care if someone wants and can afford a DSD solution, and they want a portable headphone amp, then iFi is the way to go. I just don't think MQA or DSD is in my future because of my tight budget.

Let me know how the allo products fare....i have heard good things.

15 minutes ago, patagent said:

I would have said that room treatments in my listening room in my tiny apartment would probably not work-- until my friend brought over a Synergistic Research device that I could hear a noticable "opening up" of soundstage. And I missed it after he unplugged it and went home.

2 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Let me know how the allo products fare....i have heard good things.

Thanks. I have a feeling that the Boss DAC will at least be as good as the Modi 2, for $34 less...and I try to be objective. Having a friend who's system is over $300k is also a good second opinion. I can be objective when I can hear a difference. Had been able to play DSD, and heard a different sound, I might be able to share your enthusiasm. Before the Dragonfly, I thought 16/44 must be the best available (or why would SBE made that the Redbook standard?) We live and learn, we desire and aquire-- isn't it part of the hobby?

8 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

so you know, you can do dsd via dlna via a used $50 sony bluray player, so you can do dsd cheap, but i understand if you don't have a large DSD library, where dsd doesn't matter...but you can do dsd as cheap or cheaper than pcm with excellent results.

I down loaded a sample DSD file for the iFi test, and never heard it, because the software to play it required 64 bit computer...so I gave up. I am open to it and if the I get DSD to work for me with the RasPi then we will revise my thinking. Just right now DSD isn't on my plate.

30 minutes ago, bigbob said:

The. Auralic Aries Mini @ $499 looks good at entry level price. Any experience with that as a streamer with DSD?

I know it has a popular following but have no experience with it.   For it's price range, but for about the same price, i would opt for a used NT503.

Imho, of all the hardware i have researched, i think the best bang for buck would be the auralic altair.  One just sold for 1100 on ebay, and there is another one on ebay currnetly at about 600-700, will likely close about the same price but who knows?

I would buy it myself if i didnt already buy the ND8006 (which i love for its alexa support, and i would also recommend it for sq in this budget of only $1k).

$500= used nt503

$1K= used auralic altair or new ND8006

the altair supports DSD, has LPS, and ultra low noise femto clocks, and good reviews, even Chris of this site gave it favorable review...i didn't see his review before i gave it great consideration...but it was nice to see his endorsement.

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

I know it has a popular following but have no experience with it.   For it's price range, but for about the same price, i would opt for a used NT503.

To be honest, I was looking through a catalog and I recognized the name I have seen posts about.

That would seem to be the entry-level if I can't get the RasPi server working. (Which was a bad board, replacement on the way)

But I have heard much more about the Teac, and a used one would be a good choice, thanks.

37 minutes ago, bigbob said:

To be honest, I was looking through a catalog and I recognized the name I have seen posts about.

That would seem to be the entry-level if I can't get the RasPi server working. (Which was a bad board, replacement on the way)

But I have heard much more about the Teac, and a used one would be a good choice, thanks.

If you don't see any NT503s on the used market currently, the NT505 should be hitting the streets soon, and you will likely see more NT503's on the used market after it does.

1 hour ago, bigbob said:

the nt503 has an enet port so you could just use any pc you have laying around as storage along with free minimserver , without any need for another box.

http://minimserver.com/upnpav.html

5 hours ago, botrytis said:

Brownian movement? You mean - "The erratic random movement of microscopic particles in a fluid, as a result of continuous bombardment from molecules of the surrounding medium." The key is, IN A FLUID. Air cannot be described as a fluid, unless liquefied. Air itself, is not dense enough to have Brownian movement.

slight mis-stmt on my part - particles are not moving as Browni found from bombardment; the ear drum is tho

except air is a fluid

Are you in the wine industry?  Good botrytis (Sauternes), or bad?

34 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

slight mis-stmt on my part - particles are not moving as Browni found from bombardment; the ear drum is tho

except air is a fluid

Are you in the wine industry?  Good botrytis (Sauternes), or bad?

Did my doctorate on Botrytis biochemistry :D

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

11 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

can the allo boss be used with other software besides volumeiio?

e.g. can it be used as a dlna enet appliance via jriver like sonore or sotm? 

HQPlayer NAA

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)