IGNORED

The Best for the Least

12 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I think the wireless LS50's are a fine choice for a "once and done" system (non audiophiles). Doesn't work though if your planned mode of operation is to upgrade 1 system component annually.

I agree the LS50's are quite good, but I found I couldn't fully enjoy them without a subwoofer.  The sub didn't need to be extraordinarily expensive.  I thought them lean and lacking below 100 hz without that help.  Those speakers and a good sub are a good value for the performance you get to enjoy.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

59 minutes ago, semente said:

Interesting that you are paying more for transducing sub-bass than the rest of the range.

I wonder if there aren't any equally good but cheaper subs around?

Or better wider range speakers for $1300?

Well the Dayton Audio subs are surprisingly good for not much money.  Not as good as SVS or Rhythmik.  They are able to provide bass and not muck up the rest of the sound.  Their main shortcoming is playing bass with extreme loudness.  In the role of taking the load off of smaller speakers and providing a commensurate level of bass to go with it they work pretty well. 

$149 for a powered 12 inch, and $198 for a 15 inch. 

If one has the room, where they can utilized in a distributed sub assembly, one can manage room modes and such with several subs in several locations.  So in some cases a set of 4 subs spread around correctly vs one good sub in one location might be a valid alternative for the same money.  Of course if money weren't a factor I would go with 4 Rhythmiks.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Just now, sandyk said:

Hmmm.

Is that the first time ever,  that you have conceded that a USB Regen MAY improve USB Audio ?

What makes you so sure that it won't also offer some further improvement in a higher quality system, or after this one-off comment are you going back to quoting the rubbish spouted in another forum by  highly vocal measurement type persons (including Plissken) who believe that USB Regens are a Con Job ?

It is the only instance I know where a Regen helped unequivocally.  The same people tried measuring the Regen to find a benefit with other DACs.  I seemed to recall there was a case where it made a tiny, likely inaudible difference, and was a mixed bag.  Somethings a touch better some worse.  Mostly for all the DACs tested no one could find it did anything except sometimes  cause 60 hz harmonics to show up slightly higher.  

11 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Yet 1,000s of C.A. members love their Regens, including ISO Regens.

You still haven't tried using one with your DAC have you ?:P

Perhaps if the Meanwell SMPS used to power the Regens originally had their  0 volts rails earthed, the measurements may have been markedly better ?

Actually, I obtain a higher order of performance when powering a Regen via a 12V 15,000mAH Lin Ion battery etc.

USB hates any additional capacitance to Mains Earth via the power supply used !

It would appear a different power supply may have kept the 60 hz components from showing up.  Anything more I don't have an expectation for happening.  

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

It certainly indicates misplaced priorities, whether or not that qualifies as incompetence. They keep banging on about things like "true multibit" with no actual relevance while making repeated slip-ups such as those you mention. Such behaviour does not inspire trust.

Yes, and whether they knew it and thought it no concern (in the Yiggy and the amp they knew) or in some cases didn't know, you only learned about the issues when third parties made it known.  So there is indeed that matter of trust.  

Oh and they upgraded USB inputs they were doing for months without telling anyone such was going on.  I know they didn't want every DAC to get returned all at once.  Still, maybe an ordered announcement and a program of orderly upgrades would have made customers feel better. 

Then there are the Schiit Multi-bit Bifrost measurements. 

Hmmm, not too impressive either. 

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/#post-63533

8 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Next to the Vivaldi 'stack', which I couldn't afford,  it's the best measuring DAC that exists. 

And I like it's shape :D,  and that most of their business is in studio stuff and military communications, so I know they have a clue.  

Military grade hifi..........................not sure that has the right ring to it for a slogan.  

37 minutes ago, schiit said:

Hey guys,

No clue what they're measuring, since their measurements don't correlate with our own (on Stanford SR1/SR1+ and Avermetrics Averlab). Nor do they correlate with other measurements posted by another audio engineer, AtomicBob on Head-Fi and SBAF. He actually measured two Bifrost Multibits:

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-bifrost-mb-technical-measurements.235/

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-bifrost-mb-loaner-program-unit-technical-measurements.610/

Bob's conclusion was different than ASR:

Excellent channel matching, even in the distortion measurements
Jitter is close, though not quite as excellent, as Gungnir MB
Listening evaluation to note multibit magic of dimension and depth present
Incedible performance for a 16 bit resolution DAC

Also, he measured some of our other DACs:

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-modi-mb-technical-measurements.2603/

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-gungnir-mb-measurements.414/

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-yggdrasil-measurements.413/

Hopefully this helps a bit. Beyond that, DAC questions should be addressed to Mike Moffat, as I'm the analog guy.

All the best,

Jason

The spiky noise floor is different. Atomic Bob's low level linearity and other measures look much the same. I'm sure your response on the other forum would be welcome.

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

snip...... 

Sure I can say something at -200dB doesn't matter on the face of it, but I'd need someone who actually knows what he is talking about to back me up. I don't pretend to know how something -200dB could or couldn't have an effect on something else. <- Just an example.

A few ways to parse this for yourself.  Your speaker cones would move far less than the brownian motion of air molecules at -200 db.  Our hearing threshold is just not far above this motion.  So pretty safe to say you won't hear it or hear effects of it. 

If you system is set up so max loudness is 120 dbSPL and that matches 0 dbFS, then at our most sensitive frequencies room noise might be as low as 10 dbSPL.  So we aren't going to hear something 90 db quieter than that.  

That is without talking about electronics noise levels which are very hard to get as low as -120 db.  80 db lower than that is swamped by noise.  

If somebody says things at -200 db matters, its on them to explain why and how.  The claim is a stupendous one that one has no reason to take at face value without something to back it up. 

1 hour ago, patagent said:

Not sure how Brownian motion is related to audible sound.  Brownian motions is the mechanism for diffusion and has little to do with sound.  When you speak of Brownian motion, you typically look at the random walk of a particle in a sea of other particles (e.g., dust in air).  

Our hearing is just barely above the point where impact of such moving air molecules would be heard.  Any air movement from sound that was smaller than that will effectively be lost in the noise of random molecular air movement.

200 dB down world be far below such a level.

2 hours ago, patagent said:

The movement of air molecules is not Brownian motion.  It causes Brownian motion.  

A distinction without a difference in this context.

Yes the random movement of air molecules against the eardrum is greater than the movement caused by sound at -200 dB relative to a 120 dB spl. So electronic artefact that far down will not be heard.  Our hearing threshold in some ranges is only some 15 or 20 dB above this random movement of air molecules.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 4:09 PM, jabbr said:

Haha so "best for least" => rob a high end audio shop?

Well, there were these Quad ESL63's in a police auction of recovered theft items.  No one knew what they were.  My friend purchased the pair for $150.  Worked perfectly.  Did need new grill clothes from being in property lockup.  Has to be among the best for least.  Just not a recipe one can replicate.   So maybe this is worth the bucks not to be the guy they arrested for having robbed a high end shop.