IGNORED

The Best for the Least

New I could see a system with ELAC Debut B5 speakers for $230 and a NAD D 3020 for $350. But a pair of smaller Advents and an original NAD 3020 will beat the new system for sound quality even with a Schitt Modi. 

I've set up both systems for one of my staff back in DC and one for a client of my former CPA firm. I could live with either in my office happily but I prefer what is in it now. Only the Schitt BiFrost  DAC could be considered "stock" however.

3 hours ago, Norton said:

Resonessence Mirus Pro (via SD Card) +

Low power SS power amp (say 30 watt Pass Labs)+

Pair Klipsch Cornwalls, Fortes, or Crites  Cornscalas 

c $17 k all in new, or $10k used.

Pretty much what I have.

If you noticed I made a contribution already. You just have to have topics I'm interested in. I'll even post some details about my office system because it fits the topic. And I expect some criticism for the SACD/CD player I used  a Sony Playstation but that's OK.

1 hour ago, firedog said:
1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

And I expect some criticism for the SACD/CD player I used  a Sony Playstation but that's OK.

No, it is known to be a good player. AFAIR, John Devore used one at an audio show to demonstrate his expensive speakers with some pretty good tube amps. 

This is a small matter of Need for Speed, Grand Theft Auto  and a Nissan Sentra Spec V.

Trying to get this thread back on track, the computer I use for music in the office is a HP Compaq 6910p mil-spec laptop. It has the following upgrades: solid state hard drive, 8GB Ram and T9300 CPU. Music software is JRiver Media Center. The basic testing I’ve done tells me the computer is quiet enough and may not have some of the issues discussed earlier with the Schitt BiFrost, because I’ve had a BiFrost in my office since 2011 and not encountered them. The BiFrost has all the upgrades. At every upgrade stage the DAC has played my nine reference albums and three reference recordings of harmonicas, banjos and Cajun saw fiddling in a manner I find pleasing and without fatigue.

3 hours ago, bigbob said:

Advent Large Loudspeakers purchased new 1975 for $112/pair.

New foam rings in 1990 for less than $50...but maybe the Nordost Valhalla Reference speaker ribbons and the XOT (NOT Carbon) Crossover transducers are to claim all the credit. I know Henry Kloss is rocking in his grave that his 1970's invention is still garnering such acclaim that a refurbished pair will still get almost twice the new price...used.

Don't forget stacked Advents. 

5 minutes ago, bigbob said:

The Harry Pearson Stacked Advents:

"

10. Advent

Not very long ago, a long-time audio buddy gave me a chance to hear his Double Advent setup (and in his garage!). The experience in a sense, just about took my breath away: The speakers, even in that primitive setting, were magnificent! They remained as uncolored and neutral as ever, exceeding too many of today’s so-called “super” systems. I had, if the truth be told, forgotten (audibly) just how very special this doubling up [stacking a pair atop another pair] of Henry Kloss’ last great speaker was and remains. Wished I had had the sense to hold on to the pair I bought (back when, actually in 1972, just before I started Issue One of this rag). The Advents weren’t then entirely trouble-free thanks to mechanical problems with the original tweeters. Seen in today’s light, aside from an airy top end, the only thing missing was its ability to recreate a wide and dimensional soundstage. If you can grab a pair in good condition, and they are out there, be smarter than me. Harry Pearson

Stacked advents predated the first issue of The Absolute Sound. 

14 minutes ago, bigbob said:

" Wished I had had the sense to hold on to the pair I bought (back when, actually in 1972, just before I started Issue One of this rag)."

I am sure that Harry Pearson was well aware of that, hence his quotation.

https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/171advent/index.html

J. Gordon Holt  |  Jan 1, 1971

Predates both they were stacked almost immediately after their introduction. I first heard them in 1970.

12 minutes ago, bigbob said:

Cool, were you impressed when the first versions were released? 

I understand the initial offering had problems with the tweeters, which Advent corrected by replacing with orange "fried-egg" tweeters.

Yes especially stacked and still am. I'd of reliability problems with the tweeter but never encountered it personally.