IGNORED

The Best for the Least

On 2/3/2018 at 5:16 PM, plissken said:

The have at least two other products that have shown less then optimal noise rejection both up the food chain.

Exactly at what point does their stack get competent?

Why does a $79 Behringer UMC204HD do better, significantly?

You do not realize this but all this testing is being done by a relative  incompetent.  There is no real correlation to sound quality. But keep measuring if it makes you boys happy. As far as the Schiit product bashing goes it not based in reality, but just a creation by an unhappy few.

34 minutes ago, plissken said:

How many Technical Emmy's do you have on your C.V?

The CV is one of a manager, not technical and it shows when he struggles with relativity simple technical tasks. You can worship him as much as you want but when you carry his mostly clueless junk to the real world you will be challenged. His recent foolishness of claiming the  Emotiva DC-1 is dangerous because of the unused ground tap on the AC socket was pretty stupid when the unit is normally a UN-grounded 2 wire unit. Pure amateur assumption  to think just because the AC input has a unused tab the manufacture must be incompetent. He has a issue with business success, due to his lack of success. 

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

No, he's claiming it's foolish because the PCB assembly is directly pressed up against an AC line and he rightly points out they could have tooled out the production to move the board by an inch. 

I took the cover off of mine and certainly agree with his assessment. 

Here is is quote: 

"Immediately though, there is a major source of concern. Check out the IEC plug:
We have a 3-prong, grounded IEC socket but the ground lug doesn't go anywhere! It must be connected to the case as this is metal and an electrical short can energize it. Only a double insulated piece of equipment can be run on two wires. Which this is not.
This is a major safety flaw! I can't recommend purchasing this equipment on this basis!"

The red herring comment regarding the insulated wire touching the circuit board comes later.

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Anyone think to ask the manufacturer?

Hi Chris,

Someone checked a picture of another DAC same model and it only had a 2 wire socket. Maybe they had stock of 3 wire IECs or punched panel prior to finalizing the design. Or who knows exactly why... But to assume that the manufacture is just being negligent is pretty clueless IMO.

7 minutes ago, plissken said:

Hi directly states he doesn't see it as double insulated. It's posited in thread that there may be another mechanism. I would too prefer that the question is asked of any vendor prior to posting the tear down as to have a definitive answer before jumping to conclusions. 

"Some appliances, such as vacuum cleaners and electric drills, do not have an earth wire. This is because they have plastic casings, or they have been designed so that the live wire can not touch the casing. As a result, the casing cannot give an electric shock, even if the wires inside become loose."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/edexcel_pre_2011/electricityworld/mainselectricityrev4.shtml

The key word is designed.

SMH

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Does it really matter whether you use a 2 pin socket or a 3pin IEC socket provided that the earth of the 3 pin socket is not connected ?

A 3 pin IEC plug and socket is far more robust, and less likely to have the plug fall out, although it is possible that this is not permissible ?  You also have a further advantage that some IEC 3 pin sockets also have an inbuilt safety type fuse holder.

Hi,

It does not matter to you or I, or probable anyone else with a functional brain, but the great tester in chief called the fire department and had them hose down the DAC!

9 minutes ago, plissken said:

Because, according to the subjectivists "everything matters". And data like this matters to me. 

So you are not actually interests in listening to music, but just looking at audio measurements. lol

Oh and btw the computer noise comment is total BS. Someone tried to explain it on the clown board and he was abused, which is par for the course over there.

15 minutes ago, plissken said:

I trusting Mike Moffets own words when they blind tested:

But this guy kept going. And going. And going and going and going (Note to other sites: this is what moderation is for.)

Finally, Dave says, “Well, we can fix the glitch. It’s just a ROM change.”

Mike, who by now is weary of reading about his “incompetence,” says, “Yeah, **** it, go ahead, let’s compare the two ROMs again and see if there’s any difference.”

So he did. And we compared. There was no sonic difference, just as there hadn’t been any difference during development. No big shock.

They sell DACs on the premise  audibility characteristics.  But all of a sudden they could not hear changes to the distortion profiles of the DAC? If something that is clearly measured isn't audible, how about the rest of the differences?

More written distortion. How about an honest original thought please? Oscilloscope OCD!  Something new for the the ICD-10.

17 minutes ago, plissken said:

Sure:

Amp: Yamaha P2500S

DAC: Emotiva DC-1 balanced outputs used

Computer: Custom Built QC5000 mainboard with a linear regulated PSU (because it basically cost the same as a SMPSU and is fanless)

Adata 240GB SSD. Netgear USB 802.11ac WiFi on USB 3 bus , DAC on USB 2.0 bus.

Headphones: ATH-50's, AKG 701's

Speakers: Statements

HT:

Denon 4308ci

Zaph ZDT 3.5's L/C/R

Dayton Audio two way in walls for surround

Sub amp: Fan and heatsink modified Behringer iNuke 3000 DSP

Subs: My own design of two Infinity Kappa 12w.2 based dual opposed.

How can you stand listening to such high distortion Tang band and Dayton drivers? Does it keep you up at night?

I will give you a bit of my feeling. In listening to the Schiit multi-bit vs delta-sigma I hear superb information retrieval accompanied by a more natural presentation. Sounds real, something missing imo from most D-S dacs I have owned. You know trying it won't kill you. Ultimately you can disagree, but at least you can form a fully valid opinion. Unless you really don't care and just enjoy being annoying. 

12 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

i tried and liked native dsd via enet tons better than schiit pcm usb

I do not like it better, but I also up-sample to higher rate  DSD with the D-S dac I own. Doing this brings other system considerations into play though, cpu power, electrical noise etc.

Just now, beerandmusic said:

i still don't understand your comment..maybe i misunderstood what you were saying...

if you don't like it better to upsample to high rate dsd, then why do it?

Sorry if I was not clear enough. I have multiple systems, different rooms, setups, etc. The systems with the delta-sigma dacs sounds better imo than pcm when up-sampled to dsd 128 or 256, I cannot do 512.

3 hours ago, bigbob said:

You have hit the biggest nail right on the head, with such force as to seat its head on the surface of the board.

I could not agree with you more and were are in the process of testing that very set-up (albeit with a RasPi outputting to the Multibit via USB-- although I am considering the SPDIF digital connection in our second round of testing)

@BobSherman, I would appreciate your further input with regards to digital coaxial vs. USB, as I am not that familiar with the differences--and what impact that would have.

It is my opinion that USB connections are more accessible to more devices in the entry-level. But, for the Audiophile listener, it may well be a better arrangement.

The pi shares the bus between USB and Ethernet, far from an ideal situation. The Hats connect via I2s from the Pi so you solve the shared bus problem. The DigiOne  also re clocks and send a very clean super low jitter SPDIF signal to the DAC.  Further improvement can be had by using a linear power supply.