IGNORED

The Best for the Least

3 hours ago, Confused said:

I think the LS50's would be a fine choice in a cost-effective system, you can double the price of the KEFs and still struggle to find anything significantly better.  This makes me think about the 'wireless' / active LS50.  $2200 for a fully active system?  Depending on what you are looking for, this might be very hard to better for the price.

I think the wireless LS50's are a fine choice for a "once and done" system (non audiophiles). Doesn't work though if your planned mode of operation is to upgrade 1 system component annually.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, esldude said:

I agree the LS50's are quite good, but I found I couldn't fully enjoy them without a subwoofer.  The sub didn't need to be extraordinarily expensive.  I thought them lean and lacking below 100 hz without that help.  Those speakers and a good sub are a good value for the performance you get to enjoy.  

hmm... they do better than my Magnepan 1.7s for low bass in a 12x12 room, just not as flat in response for the range above 50hz. The main limitation/plus I see for the LS50's are that they are small room speakers... put them in a large room and their limitations will be exacerbated.  A bigger listening room though drives a more expensive system for watts and speaker dispersion integrity over distance.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system