IGNORED

SOtM SMS 100 Mini Server

Hi 

My first post here I'm a bit of a newbie as I have only just discovered this forum very recently whilst researching a streamer to go with my Chord 2Qute usb dac. I have just purchased the above unit to play around with I realise it is an older unit and now unsupported by it's own manufacturer but hoped as it ran your own software I may get some help here.

I previously owned a Naim ND5XS and bought the Chord Dac to use with that but decided to trade it in to buy a new amp as I was only using it as a renderer, since then I have tried Raspberry Pi which was great for the money but integrating it with my Apple MacBook wasn't for me and since then I have used my MacBook directly into the dac.

I mainly stream from Tidal and internet Radio and have very few music files as my main source has always been vinyl and so my questions are what is the best platform to stream both Tidal and iRadio with the SOtM 1OO?  From reading online it seems the best option will be Squeezelite but I'm not sure and this runs on to my other question is there anyway the SOtM 100 can be used as a Roon endpoint? 

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.

You can't use it as a Roon endpoint unless you are really geeky and manage to find  a hack to install the Linux version of Roon Bridge on it. Roon Bridge turns devices into a Roon Endpoint. It's a free download from Roon. 

You  are probably right that Sqeezebox is your best bet. 

The Squeezebox platform has a Tidal app tthat you can install thru My Squeezebox.

https://antipodesaudio.com/downloads/tidal.pdf

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Roon can stream directly to the sMS-100. In Roon you have to enable Squeeze Box Devices in Settings. On the sMS-100 you use SqueezeLite output mode. When the DAC is connected Roon should see it.

This is correct. But users should know that the version in Roon is a SB emulation. It will work, but you won't be able to use many features and plugins for SB.

If the poster only wants use of Roon, and doesn't care about other SB features, that is what he should do.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

• 1 month later...

forgive me as Im a bit of a newbie. I have an SOtM sms-100 Networkplayer connected to a Chord 2Qute and I'm trying to play music files I have stored on a USB Hard drive.  Can I connect the USB Drive into the back of the SOtM and play these files using  an iPhone App? I'm using iPeng to play iRadio and Tidal but cant seem to configure the USB Drive.

Thank you in advance 

Tara

• 1 year later...
43 minutes ago, JoeyGS said:

I still have the SMS-100 and its gathering dust .... can i use it to stream from Spotify or Amazon Music Prime?

There's a Spotify plugin for LMS that will work. I believe you need to have a paid (not free) Spotify account for it to work. 

• 5 months later...
On 2/19/2020 at 6:44 PM, firedog said:

There's a Spotify plugin for LMS that will work. I believe you need to have a paid (not free) Spotify account for it to work. 

Thanks firedog!

I am now using Daphile in my music server (computer) and Daphile has a plug-in to inter-phase with LMS ..... No I have to fire up my sms-100 and use it as a streamer for my headphone set-up