IGNORED

Separate Pre Amp Vs Built in Pre Amp

Seperates are better. That's because integrating a real preamp circuit into the same box as power amplifier is expensive and difficult to do without compromising the preamp component. In the case of a volume control in a DAC, it's usually digital attenuation (junk) or maybe some kind of simplistic analog or hybrid type attenuation. In the case of the Stellar, it uses some form of analog volume control, but I'm not sure if its just an attenuator or some kind of active gain circuit. Regardless, a real preamp like the P5 will probably out-perform the Stellar.

5 minutes ago, Jamesroy said:

Thank you so if I do use the Parasound Pre amp there's the issue of how to use both volume controls. Do I max out the Stellar and control volume with Parasound Pre amp?

If the Stellar does attenuation then yes you would max it out. If it uses an active gain type circuit you'll have to find out where the -0 dB point is -- but in that case you can also adjust to taste.

There is a lot of misinformation on here about preamps. In the end of the day you're going to try both setups and you'll like the P5 acting as the preamp over the DAC. 

The reason? Look at the inside of the P5 and then look at the little blue box in the Stellar. Active preamp circuits are highly sophisticated and very carefully designed pieces of gear. They have a large impact on the sound. 

Underinformed posters will look at an Allnic or an Audio Note and say with a straight face that they sound worse than the digital attenuation in some Sabre DAC. The reason is that they've never listened to high end audio.

Here is the P5:

parasound-halo-p-5-preamplifier-fig6-lg.

Here is a Freya:

freya-PCB-1920.jpg

Here is a BAT:

1105bat.3.jpg

Here is an Audio Note:

22509444580_5d0fedf7ca_c.jpg

Here is a VAC:

STATEphonetopWhBG.jpg

And here is a Gain Cell:

PSAudio_GainCellDAC_Photo_GainCell.jpg

What I'm illustrating here is that preamps are highly sophisticated pieces of gear. I'm sure the little blue box is great, but it won't and can't compete with a real preamp. The preamps primary benifit to a system is NOT volume control, but rather sound quality.

2 hours ago, Jamesroy said:

Yes there is a setting on the Stellar to bypass the internal preamp. But one test I failed to do is connect the XLR's to the Stellar and to the power amp. Now I have to disconnect the Parasound and do that test. The only issues is my RCA's are Transparent directional cables medium priced, years ago and the XLR's are really not expensive ones that were given to me free from a friend.

I recommend Audio Sensibility Statement SE interconnects if you're looking for a reasonable priced good upgrade. Japan-sourced OCC 7N copper conductors, Teflon, well-shielded, dampened and Furutech connectors. I haven't once got a dud performer from them. The only problem is that they're heavy and stiff.

If your budget is very limited, also check out Amplifier Surgery on eBay -- he makes twisted silver-plated copper cables which have served my phono connections very well, much better than the stock cables that came with my turntable. In fact I ordered a 20 foot XLR set from him a little while ago and am waiting on delivery to see if it can beat the Belden no-names I currently have.