IGNORED

which rate do people buy?

I have a DAC that can do DSD 512.  I also have HQPlayer.

Native DSD has a recording of The Rite of Spring that I'd like to buy.  It is offered at:

DXD, 64fs, 128fs, and 256fs.

It was digitized at DXD.  Is this one to go for?

What buying strategy do people use in these circumstances?

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

47 minutes ago, mansr said:

My general rules:

• Never buy an upconversion, PCM or DSD
  • Never buy a PCM to DSD conversion
  • Avoid DSD to DSD conversions unless price difference is insane
  • Never pay extra for PCM above 96 kHz
  • Pay no more than 15% extra for 96 kHz over 44/48 kHz

Very much the same here.  

If there is a recording I simply must have, I will spring for the original (in this case, DXD multichannel) rather than one of the downsampled options . . . but for most recordings, 48k is plenty,  or 96k if that's how it's offered.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

53 minutes ago, mansr said:

Avoid DSD to DSD conversions unless price difference is insane

Additionally, if a DSD original is too expensive, prefer a PCM conversion over a lower rate DSD. The latter will have gone through a PCM stage anyway. Buy DSD conversions only if PCM isn't available.

1 hour ago, richard kimber said:

I have a DAC that can do DSD 512.  I also have HQPlayer.

Native DSD has a recording of The Rite of Spring that I'd like to buy.  It is offered at:

DXD, 64fs, 128fs, and 256fs.

It was digitized at DXD.  Is this one to go for?

Buy the 16/44. 24/96 or 88 if you must and it's not much more expensive. 

I have a subscription to the B & W Society of Sound which give access to one LSO recording and one other per month at 24/96 or 16/44. After years of downloading the 24/96 I don't even bother anymore and go for the 16/44. Ditto for the Suzuki complete bach cantatas. I actually paid for the higher resolution files, in case I ever want the surround mixes but I only bothered to download the 16/44 for now. IMHO the only reason to buy higher rez two channel is if you don't trust the downconversion. But really there's no excuse for anyone botching it when audacity and dbpoweramp perform it as accurately as saracon.  

Of the other options DXD, 64fs, 128fs, and 256fs. Well clearly if it's digitised at DXD then the other can't offer anything, so I guess just you could buy that if you don't mind storing 100Khz+ of exquisitely recorded modulator noise. 64fs offers no advantage over 16/44. 

You are not a sound quality measurement device

3 minutes ago, adamdea said:

I have a subscription to the B & W Society of Sound which give access to one LSO recording and one other per month at 24/96 or 16/44. After years of downloading the 24/96 I don't even bother anymore and go for the 16/44.

Since there is no price difference here, I pick the high-res version, just in case. Disk space isn't a problem.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Since there is no price difference here, I pick the high-res version, just in case. Disk space isn't a problem.

I know. Makes sense. I just got a bit impatient with the downloads, my nas is filling up and quite a few of the recordings are ones I wouldn't rush out to buy. So I started to think, why bother? 

You are not a sound quality measurement device

Always buy the original master sample rate. For most that's 96 kHz. For native DSD recordings (Channel Classics, Merging, etc) always buy the master DSD rate. If an MQA version of a PCM album is available, and you are confident in its heritage (review the album notes, release date, studio, etc) AND you have a native MQA DAC, get the MQA version. 

Analog source albums are best on reputable mastering studios and vinyl pressings (MoFi, Analouge Productions, etc), and second best on DSD / SACD if your DAC can do native DSD decoding.

4 hours ago, richard kimber said:

As rule, sample rate is player/operation system driver/DAC matter. There are not general recommendation by sample rate value.

I'd recommend check different sample rates for your audio system.

Read details here https://samplerateconverter.com/content/how-improve-sound-quality

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

On 2/1/2018 at 12:06 PM, audiventory said:

As rule, sample rate is player/operation system driver/DAC matter. There are not general recommendation by sample rate value.

I'd recommend check different sample rates for your audio system.

The issue is what format/resolution to buy and, since system hardware can change, it would be a mistake to base a purchase on this moving target.  Buying the original recording format/resolution obtains the closest to the "original" (mastering aside) and still allows the user to play it as-is or resample to suit him to suit his hardware, even as it changes.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

5 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Buying based on the original recording format/resolution obtains the closest to the "original" (mastering aside) and still allows the user to play it as-is or resample to suit him to suit his hardware, even as it changes.

Kal: I fully agree with this approach, but it also raises two questions, if you buy something other than the "original" then presumably the seller has used some up or down conversion software to arrive at the other choices.  1. Are sellers using Audiventory or is there some other preferred solution for vendors? 2. Are those solutions better than using HQ Player on the fly, particularly when HQ Player allows us to make output/filter choices that work best with our individual hardware?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

5 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

1. Are sellers using Audiventory or is there some other preferred solution for vendors?

Who knows but, imho, what do you do when you change your DAC?  Buy it again?

5 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

2. Are those solutions better than using HQ Player on the fly, particularly when HQ Player allows us to make output/filter choices that work best with our individual hardware?

I do not know.  As I suggested, I get downloads, if possible, in the same resolution as was recorded.  Typically, I resample to 24/192 PCM in order to use REQ.  When I choose not to use REQ, I rarely resample.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile