IGNORED

Sanity Check

17 minutes ago, plissken said:

Sure do. I start by dismissing what ever you think is a good idea. 

Of course I don’t have anything to do with better audio or your interest in it.

If you’re interested in better audio why did you deny better audio exists?

36 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

That depends upon your definition of "significantly different". One person might say that the difference between two components might be night and day with one being audio nirvana while the other is pure excrement. Another listener might find those same differences inconsequential.

That, an important insight.  However, often folks around here use descriptions which seem exaggerated.  Things like the sound was "congested" or the sound stage "collapsed".  The only time I hear big changes is when I switch from one recording which doesn't sound so great, to one which is great. 

I’ve owned and auditioned in-home 7 stereo amps, and around 10 headphone amps. They all sounded different. They all have different strengths and weaknesses. Of those, three were class D, three were A/B, and one was A (DHT). The class Ds all sucked in terms of soundstage, but differed greatly in other ways — for example, the Crown XLS (Drivecore 2) is very unresolving while the D-Sonic (Pascal) is the most resolving amp I’ve had in my system. 

There is no possibility that I could not tell the difference between my Linnenberg Allegros and the Teac AI-301 (ICEPower). In amp terms they are like day and night. With a good track selection I would find it hard to believe anyone could fail a blind test between them, let alone prefer the Teac.

2 hours ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

I must be toxic, because the only time I ever heard a significant difference was when an aging unit which was undoubtedly in need of major work was replaced with something new.  As for the stress argument, it is the one raised the most often by those opposed to blind testing. I have never seen so much as a quantum of proof that is going on.

It's possible to screw up a blind test with bad source material.  

I am a firm believer the differences in speakers overwhelm the differences in everything else put together in a digital playback chain.  Life is different in vinyl land.  Bad recordings sound bad no matter what and probably sound better on $5 earbuds while riding mass transit.

Vinyl cartridges are transducers, just like speakers, and affect the reproduction just as much.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

35 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Of course I don’t have anything to do with better audio or your interest in it.

If you’re interested in better audio why did you deny better audio exists?

With due respect, I think the issue is the lens of covetousness that you use to determine desirability of gear that might be the issue.

In other words, if someone doesn't drink the, "sure, I'd love to have a dCS stack" kool-aid, they're not what you would call an audiophile.

I'm looking forward to hearing your results.

If you do hear much of a difference, then some blinded tests would be useful.

And, I am not kidding when I say stress can be measured - there are several techniques (one is new as of today), tho I don't think any audiophile would do the tests.  

You could have just said "it's possible there is some stress in blinded listening tests" or "any critical listening might cause stress"

This should be obvious but modern hi-fi doesn’t actually have much to do with high fidelity. First of all, speakers are totally incapable of it...well, recording equipment is also incapable of it. What we’re doing is chasing a form of sonic art. A Norman Rockwell painting doesn’t look like anything like real life. But you can appreciate the mastery of the art and derive pleasure from it.

The-Runaway-1958-Norman-Rockwell.jpg

34 minutes ago, plissken said:

Not sure where people miss the Fidelity part of hi-fi. 

I am curious what you have in mind by fidelity.

Faithful to the original performance? Faithful to the recording? Sounds good/real/convincing?

How would one know? Seems pretty subjective even if you had been sitting at the original performance.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

That assumes everyone is working towards the exact same thing, which I sincerely doubt.

There is only one perfection. It has nothing to do with our personal preferences or the manufacturers emphasis of some aspects more than the others, which are  merely his  preferences.

High fidelity means 'accuracy' by definition. And as we don't have the artists performing live  in our room the recording is our only  'reference' source.

Personally I go for a measured flat frequency response  and a measured constant phase shift (there will always be  a phase shift but if it is as constant as possible  throughout the frequency range what it actually is won't matter). For example, always set the DAC to 'linear phase' - anything else will mess up the source's intended stereo imaging..

That will then mean we are as close as currently possible to  not 'interfering' with the source even though we don't know what the source is supposed to sound like. Also we are not imposing our system's 'character' on every recording because as far  as possible our system won't have a 'character'.

Then, if I don't like what I am hearing I just buy (or stream)  a different recording or mastering of the same music. 

Having done all that you are then free to change things as much as you want but you at least have a reference 'as accurate as possible'  point you can easily return to. Personally having purchased the most accurate (by measurement) stuff that I can find I leave it as is because within my price range I know it is 'high fidelity' which is presumably what we are paying for. You tend to end up with a dCS DAC and the latest Quad Electrostatics :) 

9 minutes ago, mourip said:

I am curious what you have in mind by fidelity.

Faithful to the original performance? Faithful to the recording? Sounds good/real/convincing?

How would one know? Seems pretty subjective even if you had been sitting at the original performance.

That the signal that is encoded on the source is messed with in the least damaging way possible. 

So I would like a chain that I can go from source to the output of the amp, at the very least, capture that and compare back to the source with as little deviation as possible. 

10 minutes ago, plissken said:

That the signal that is encoded on the source is messed with in the least damaging way possible. 

So I would like a chain that I can go from source to the output of the amp, at the very least, capture that and compare back to the source with as little deviation as possible. 

An ideal record/playback chain would allow placing a microphone in front of the speaker and looping a signal through it arbitrarily many times without degradation. If we remove the transducers, we can achieve audible transparency for a dozen or more iterations at a modest cost. The main remaining problem is the speaker.