IGNORED

Sanity Check

I'm looking forward to hearing your results.

If you do hear much of a difference, then some blinded tests would be useful.

And, I am not kidding when I say stress can be measured - there are several techniques (one is new as of today), tho I don't think any audiophile would do the tests.  

You could have just said "it's possible there is some stress in blinded listening tests" or "any critical listening might cause stress"

5 hours ago, Spacehound said:

It's nice to be agreed with :P

I think I've got the hang of writing a post, changing my mind, and not posting it  now.

Good!

I thought I was bad b/c my Maggies won't do much below 40 Hz; but a 100 Hz cutoff is....

not good

On 1/31/2018 at 10:59 AM, Indydan said:

They misspelled the word "conclusion" twice in the last paragraph:

"Well, we think that each can reach to its own conclussion..."

Were they as sloppy with their research methods?

Was the research conducted by the University of jackoffs?

"Don't believe everything you read" sounds appropriate right now...

Maybe they did a mind-meld between concussion & conclusion...

11 hours ago, firedog said:

Lots of these speakers demand very high amounts of skilled labor on the cabinetry, for instance. High end wood finished and complex cabinetry don't come cheap. Neither does a full day milling an aluminum block on a CNC machine. 

That could add $1,000 to the price at the very high end for either - nowhere near the excess $$ in the pricing

and if you are chopping away at a billet for a long time it is time to do pressure casting 

3 hours ago, GUTB said:

A quick google search shows that "aircraft-grade aluminum" refers to a 6061 aluminum alloy, a high quality alloy developed in the 30s. I guess "aircraft-grade" is a cooler way of saying "high-quality".

BTW, go ahead search youtube for high end speaker factory tours and see how likely a DIY’er can replicate it.

Yes.  I'd bet that aircraft-grade was a term used in the 1950s when a lot of cheaper Al alloys came out.  T6-6061 is very common now.

BTW, a computer vision system can easily match wood grains - and provide book matching/cutting controls...

ultra-$$$ woodworking means you are paying for an art piece made by an artist

- or an artiste

I look forward to something like the Kii3 with subs or some Homeboypod technology trickling upwards...

2 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Mostly you put up with a clumsy and lumbering road performance for an off-road performance you rarely, if ever, use.

I borrowed one. It's like sailing a galleon.

Very true - but off-road or "two-track"capability is important for some people, and most don't want to trailer a purpose built vehicle to get part-way

worse, wheeled vehicles are not nearly as capable as tracked vehicles, which in turn are not as capable as vehicles with 4 or 6 legs...