IGNORED

What music player software do you use the most?

What software do you use on the system you listen to MOST  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

JRiver.

It's fine on audio, format conversion, ripping, as a server, DSP, etc, I can't think of anything better for that, and the library handing is excellent, so is the  'zone' feature. But video is a bit of a mess and internet radio is even worse, though I have thought up a neat  workaround for that. But why should I have to? 

And the documentation is   hopeless. In some ways it would be better if it  didn't have any at all  as you wouldn't  waste your time looking for stuff you never find.

The official Wiki is fine on 'getting started' but other than that it is very incomplete. The 'Interact ' forum is full of mostly unanswered questions, and why should people answer? It's not as if they are getting paid.

It would be nice if they stopped introducing more  'features' for a while, fix the documentation,  and got some of the faulty features to work properly before dreaming up new ones.

But overall its fine for what I do (mostly audio downloads and ripped CDs) but I would like to have a 'player central' which it certainly isn't.

14 hours ago, davide256 said:

Ahh the naivete of numbers. Lets look at this in market terms... older products generally have an "entrenched base", users generally have to encounter pain before they switch.

JRiver company founded in 1981. Per Wikipedia initial product  was Media Center Jukebox, this became JRiver media center in May 2003... so 15 years to get to its current market share, enhanced in recent years by supporting Windows and Mac (dual platform)

Audirvarna, per their website " Founded in 2011, Audirvana is a French company created by Damien Plisson " so 7 years to get to its current market share, still Mac only

Roon is so new it doesn't have a Wikipedia entry, launched in May 2015 per Audiostream article. Dual platform support.

A good followup survey  would be a "switch" survey; if you switched in the last year, what did you switch from and go to? Who is winning and losing for retention of their base in the churn war?

Audirvana and JRiver market share comparisions are like comparing apples(!) and oranges.

Windows has over 90% of the world 'home computer' market. Apple  has 4%.

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, davide256 said:

Also there is no program difference between Roon subscription and Roon Lifetime.. thats a payment plan detail

The subscription  is too expensive compared to the price of most other things  and they will go bust long before you die.

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:31 PM, davide256 said:

Doesn't matter anymore, tablets and phones rule. Given the market dominance of iPhone, I'm betting that a good majority of those Windows PC's

use iTunes as their primary media player :)

Possibly but only for people who use music on a Windows machine. I  don't know anyone who listens to music on any sort of computer, Windows or Mac.  In fact I don't know anyone who owns a Mac, though we've all got computers.

The  iTunes interface is awful, worse than WMP which  is pre-installed. I only use it to transfer stuff to a iPad, not that I've ever listened to music on a  'mobile' other than to test that the transfer  worked.

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:32 PM, Ralf11 said:

The number of votes (>100) is not an issue, nor is the # that could fall into each cell randomly.

All survey data has issues, e.g. what popn. is really being surveyed (not the full CA viewership or all signed in, just a subset who looked at the this poll) as well as the ones who cared enough to post, and etc.

Whether any issues are important depends on what one conclusions one wishes to derive from the poll.

I expect the number of iTunes users is under-represented on CA for example as vs. the world or US popn. ...

I only voted because I can't resist 'quizzes' and similar.

But in general people don't vote on anything  if they don't have strong views.

And as for Apple, they only have 4% of the world 'home' computer market. Windows machines apparently have 90% plus.

The Apple enthusiasts know this so are more likely to vote. Windows  users don't have anything to 'prove'.