IGNORED

VersaLogic Mini PCIe Ethernet Over Fiber Module

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone has any experience trying one of these modules in their music server build and what your thoughts are of it?

I stumbled across it doing a search for fiber card options recently and it piqued my interested. There are a few potential issues I see with it, like price ($337), and mounting location on the motherboard. From my research it appears that most motherboards that offer Mini PCIe slots do so at the midpoint of the board. This card appears a bit smaller then your typical storage device..etc commonly found occupying such a slot. I've also not found a chassis that offers an exit hole in the location where this module would reside so that means you would need to run a cable out the side somehow.

The manufacturer of this card makes their own Single Board Computers which better accommodate this card but they are VERY expensive ($2-3K). Anyway, I thought it was a pretty cool little module that is said to work with Windows/Linux and uses standard ETH drivers

https://www.versalogic.com/products/DS.asp?ProductID=289

MPEe-E4-XL.jpg

Description

The VL-MPEe-E4 is an extremely small and rugged module for connecting Gigabit Ethernet Over Fiber optic cables. This industry-standard Mini PCIe module provides an easy and economical way to add a fiber-based Ethernet interface to embedded computer systems.

Ethernet over fiber offers an extremely dependable, highly secure Ethernet connection that operates over a much longer distance than copper. Where security matters, a fiber optic connection excels. Fiber optic cables have no electromagnetic signature, making them very difficult to tap compared to wired connections.

This module supports one bi-directional Ethernet channel using industry standard fiber optic cables with LC connectors. It is designed to be rugged and robust for use in industrial and military applications. The module features a wide operating temperature range (-40° to +85°C) and a metal housing around the transceiver to guard against electro-magnetic interference.

The E4 board is compatible with a variety of popular operating systems including Windows, Windows Embedded, and Linux.

As with all VersaLogic products, the VL-MPEe-E4 is designed to support OEM applications where high reliability and long-term availability are required. From application design-in support, to its 5+ year production life guarantee, the VL-MPEe-E4 provides a durable I/O expansion with an excellent cost of ownership.

VersaLogic products are designed for use by OEMs working in a variety of market applications: Aerospace, Defense, Energy, Industrial, Security, Medical, Military, Robotics, and Transportation. Anywhere that the need for superb quality and high-performance embedded computing exists, applications include: automation, avionics, gateway, in-vehicle, monitoring, simulation, and vision.

VersaLogic delivers extremely reliable standard and customized embedded computers backed with unsurpassed service and the highest availability in the market. VersaLogic exists to exceed customers' product, service, support and delivery needs - whenever and wherever the need arises.

I tried a StarTech.com PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Multimode SC Fiber Network Card Adapter (PEX1000MMSC2)(~$135 )for a while to connect my music server to my Focusrite ethernet to AES converter. It connected to an FMC. My idea was that logically it should improve isolation.

I eventually went back to a good ethernet cable as the optical connection did not seem to help the sound quality. I still use FMCs for the second server connection to my LAN.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System