IGNORED

Reasons for AirPlay 2?

There are lot of advantages to Airplay 2.

Multi-device streaming but that was already possible through iTunes or something like Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil.

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

I've done multi-room streaming using this for several years at least in a 5200 sq ft house to many devices and never had a hiccup.  

So;

1.  Airplay 2 streams to multiple devices and you can control it from a Mac or an iOS app.

2.  The cache is much larger and Airplay 2 streams faster than real time to eliminate buffering.  Of course it plays in real time even though it streams faster than that.

3.  The source device can pull directly from the source like Spotify Connect does.  A lot of people don't know this about Airplay 2.

4.  Airplay 2 is software only which is why many existing devices can do an update and use Airplay 2.

1 hour ago, LCC0256 said:

Kirk

I can turn on and off both of my Airport Express's, all 4 of my Apple TV's, and my iMac speaker system  while also being able to adjust volume individually on each one when my iTunes remote (on either my iPhone, iPad or my iPod Touch) is linked with my master iTunes library on my iMac.

Those Apple TV's and Airport Express's are connected via ethernet to my home network and are subsequently connected to individual AVR's via either HDMI or optical (TOSlink)  all in different rooms.  

The respective AVR's have to be powered on of course but it activates the Apple TV's and Airport Express's. To my way of thinking that is being able to control multiple devices in multiple rooms with Airplay. Now the master library iMac has to be on but that is true no matter if we are discussing Airplay or Airplay2.

As for the cache being larger for Airplay 2 and eliminating buffering - I play 8 systems in one home with no latency or buffering issues so I would say that is a non issue for me.

I am not sure I fully understand what is meant by source device being able to pull from the source. I would like to better understand that feature of Airplay 2. 

Airplay 2 is in fact software so I understand it can play on other devices. For now and the near term I have no need to leave the Apple architecture. It works on all my apple devices and that is sufficient for me. 

Since I switched to Apple 10 years ago for my business computer needs - it has been a huge blessing. (Compared to the prior 14 years using the other brand )

1 iMac and 1 MacBook Pro have lasted the entire ten years (with updated SSD's and memory)  My children got through high school and college with one MacBook Pro a piece (Again with updated SSD's and maxed out memory) . We have iPads and iPhones and they too have given LONG trouble free service. They currently have iPhones 7's while I am still on 5s. Apple put new batteries in all 3 for $29 each.  This is why I probably won't wander off the Apple reservation for a while to come. 

I'm not Kirk but you seem to be responding to some things I said.

I could not agree more about the stability of Airplay 1.  As I said earlier I have used it for years in a 5200 sq ft two story house with many devices at once using Airfoil.  Endpoints were Apple TV, Yamaha receivers with built in Airplay, and standalone speakers with an Apple TV or Airport Express connected by optical.  Never had any issues.  If you are having issues with Airplay 1 it's your network or your endpoint.  Some endpoints use Airplay chips that aren't very good but that will be eliminated by Airplay 2 as it is software only.

By source device pulling from the source I mean it works or can work like Spotify Connect.  If Spotify Connect is built in to a device like a receiver or speaker that device will pull Spotify music from your device over your network to Spotify over the internet.  So it will play from Spotify directly and your phone is just a remote not the source of the music.

The reason it's good that Airplay 2 has a bigger cache and transmits faster than real time is more people than before will airplay to multiple devices at once and this will give a higher chance of success for people with poor wifi or physical networks.

I replaced all my Alexa based light bulbs etc. this weekend with Homekit and when i get my HomePod next Friday will sell my stereo paired Sonos Ones.  They are ok for the price but bass is muddy and boomy and overall detail is poor. I use them as bedroom speakers.

My main speakers are Kef LS50W's which are pretty amazing but they are $2200.  I think the HomePod will an improvement on the Sonos Ones plus I also want the privacy you get with Siri and Homekit.  Stereo pairing can't come soon enough for me with the HomePod but it sounds like it is not far away.

5 minutes ago, kirkmc said:

What is there to configure in a wi-fi network? 

Are you expecting me to go into detail about choosing a quality and updated cable modem and WiFi router and endpoints to ensure solid and consistent performance?  Or how your WiFi router should be configured? Because that what is required for good performance of any sort of streaming nothing specific the Airplay. 

If you have a specific endpoint like an AV receiver with Airplay built in its the receiver airplay chip or software and you should make sure it’s up to date.