IGNORED

Forbidding smartphones at concerts

joelha

I generally get it and support this.  It's distracting at any concert to have an arm up in front of you or a cell phone capturing what you are watching.  It's no different than a cell phone in a movie theater being a distraction.  We don't tolerate that so why this?  

One venue here has a service where you can check in your cell phone like a coat, gets locked in a container that you have the key to.  I totally get it.

For the upcoming Jack White show in NZ, people with phones will have them locked in shield bags. If they want to use the phone during the show they will need to take them out to a foyer area where security will unlock the bags.

The last time I went to the theatre to see a play, a few minutes before curtain a cell phone started ringing. It kept ringing, and people started to look around. After a minute it was joined by a second one and then another and another, until there was a cacophony of ringtones. Then they cut off and there was an announcement asking people to switch off their phones. Very effective.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

I'm betting that lots of people will leave their phones in their car instead of dealing with the bags.  That should make all the parking garage thieves happy.  

If I was on stage I would ask everyone to post videos to social media.  It's free advertising.  

On 1/25/2018 at 5:06 PM, Don Hills said:

The alternative is worse... if they can't wave their smartphones, people will have to go back to encore matches. An unacceptable risk, in my opinion.

Hey Don, they stopped using matches back in the late 60's, early 70's  its now BIC lighters LOL :D  if they want real fire that is. .

The Truth Is Out There