IGNORED

Forbidding smartphones at concerts

joelha

I was at a UB40 concert recently, and there were quite a few phones being waved about. Someone near me even seemed to be on a video call with a friend for a considerable time. All a bit silly, but I wasn't bothered by anyone's phone. I don't really care what people do as long as it doesn't detract from my experience.

The article talks about creating a "human experience,' but I suspect the real motives are somewhat different. By insisting that people only reshare official photos, he drives traffic to his pages, and this can be monetised. Always follow the money.

11 minutes ago, esldude said:

You mean like the country music artist back 15 years ago that came out for a live concert inebriated on drugs and alcohol.  Stumbled horribly thru half a song.  Fell off the stage.  Then cursed the audience for the boos before retreating to the dressing room without performing anymore.  That sort of thing instead of being reported on the news would be everywhere as video within minutes.  Come to think of it those videos on a phone do have some positives then.  

See also: wardrobe malfunction. Whether accidental or deliberate, artists obviously want to carefully manage how these events are depicted.