IGNORED

Apple HomePod Supports FLAC

Yes, I wonder what this means. If you stream something over AirPlay, it is covered to Apple Lossless. So does this mean there's another way to get files to the HomePod? It has no storage; it only works streaming Apple Music or locally pushed music via AirPlay. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

On 1/24/2018 at 6:32 PM, wgscott said:

It suggests future versions of iTunes might then support FLAC, and perhaps Airplay might some day have an option not to resample to 44.1kHz.

I still don't want to have to pay to have an electronic eavesdropping device in my home.

Apple does not collect the data and this is a major selling point for the HomePod and other Apple devices.

Anything connected to a network can be hacked. If the target is valuable enough, it will be hacked. The question is, are our home conversations valuable enough for people. The answer depends on how devious one can think. 

A more likely consequence is the pod being turned into a ddos bot like many other devices.  

In other news, Samsung TVs have been listening to people for years. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 hours ago, wgscott said:

Don't forget the obligatory "why should I worry about this unless I have something to hide?".

Also, even if Apple is 100% non-evil, it is still a very convenient target for hackers.

9 hours ago, DarwinOSX said:

Your first comment is not relevant.  

For your second point look at how Apple protects data.  They don't know what it is themselves which makes it a very difficult target for hackers.

His first point is very relevant. Perhaps in countries outside the US it is less important. 

Apple’s data is different from Apple devices. Both are hackable. Some have been hacked already. Others will be sooner or later. It’s hard to stop state sponsored hacking groups with the endless resources of tax money and computing power. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, DarwinOSX said:

People are speculating without knowing the subject.  Shocking on an Internet forum I know...

Read up on how Apple protects data and users of the Homepod. They have thought of the scenarios you describe.

They forgot to set the password of the root account until a few weeks ago. Stuff happens. Things slip by QC checks. 

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Please explain. 

I am very familiar with the subject of security yet you have not taken the trouble to look into how Apple secured HomePod.  Anyone can repeat  linkbait. headlines they don’t understand.

Since the debut of the secure enclaves. nobody has been able to hack iOS devices. That should get you started. 

4 minutes ago, DarwinOSX said:

I am very familiar with the subject of security yet you have not taken the trouble to look into how Apple secured HomePod.  Anyone can repeat  linkbait. headlines they don’t understand.

Since the debut of the secure enclaves. nobody has been able to hack iOS devices. That should get you started. 

As the police how they got into the iOS devices of the shooters from San Bernardino. It’s only a matter of time before all things are hacked. If man created it, man can hack it. 

I’m surprised to read your suggestion that I haven’t researched the HomePod when I can guarantee you that you’re 100% incorrect. Facts matter. 

Apple leaving the root password blank isn’t link bait and isn’t something I don’t understand. Facts matter. 

On 1/25/2018 at 11:48 PM, kirkmc said:

Yes, I wonder what this means. If you stream something over AirPlay, it is covered to Apple Lossless. So does this mean there's another way to get files to the HomePod? It has no storage; it only works streaming Apple Music or locally pushed music via AirPlay. 

I just saw an Ars article that adds a bit of clarification:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/apple-clarifies-which-audio-sources-are-supported-on-homepod-speakers/

(Not sure if there is anything newsworthy there.)

These are the supported sources:

• Apple Music (subscription required)
  • iTunes Music purchases
  • iCloud Music Library with an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription
  • Beats 1 Live Radio
  • Podcasts
  • Content via AirPlay to HomePod from iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, and Mac

Siri will only work with music purchased from or otherwise provided by Apple.

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

As the police how they got into the iOS devices of the shooters from San Bernardino. It’s only a matter of time before all things are hacked. If man created it, man can hack it. 

Yes, but with physical access, all bets are off. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 1:30 AM, kirkmc said:

Nope, it will also work with your music that you've added to iCloud Music Library or iTunes Match. 

On 2/2/2018 at 6:17 AM, wgscott said:

That's what I meant by "otherwise provided by Apple".

Perhaps I should have written "otherwise provided via Apple".

Huh?  Since music played by an Apple loudspeaker is provided "via Apple", how is it more "via Apple" if transmitted to the loudspeaker from the iTunes app acting as a music library and server?

In any event, interposing iTunes is no obstacle if iTunes can import music acquired from non-Apple sources, including FLAC.  Fingers crossed for iTunes library support of FLAC!

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7