IGNORED

USB interface Surprises

rikhav

Hi All

I started using a DAC in my setup few years ago. Until that time i only used a Cd player as my source.

Like everyone for computer based audio all this while I have experimented using different playback softwares, using different operating systems and tweaking them, making a raspberry a NAA and using different digital outputs (USB, digital coaxial) 

Then came a time i got more and intrigued with USB regenerators after reading about it on CA as well audiocircle 

I ended up buying a used Uptone regen amber understanding the basic issues of computer based playback like USB noise and poor clock performance from the PC side due to several reasons

With regards to USB cables i never used a USB cable made by companies specializing in making cables. Started using basic printer cables assuming build and design of cable is of no major importance when it comes to USB cable. One of my friend made a DIY usb cable following basic thumb rules for making a USB cable

When i used the USB regenerator for the first time between my dac and PC, it was a very positive experience and relatively dull and lifeless sound from USB  improved in all aspects

After using it for a year i started looking at different ways to improve the sound further like using a LPSU with the regenrator , using a NAA like SOTM or SOnore microrendu

A week back one of my friend who had stopped using computer as source decided to upgrade his CD player and had accepted computer audio is not for him mainly due to his issues using a computer. He had briefly tried computer as source and for that purpose bought a USB cable. He decided to sell the cable and since i was posting the sale on his behalf advised me to try the cable in my setup

I did not expect any kind of miracles but since i was using a well built USB cable for the first time in my setup i decided to use it directly from my PC to the dac, i.e. without the usb regenerator in between. It took me 2 days to accept that i was not assuming things but the sound with this particular USB cable was much more better then what i got with using the USB regenerator in my setup. More body to the mids, resolving and silky smooth highs and taut bass with an expansive soundstage

So I expected things to improve even more once i introduce the USB regenerator back into my setup. To my surprise after introducing the USB regenerator back in my setup with the new USB cable the sound was more smooth but lacked any kind of dynmaics. It was like a DOLBY noise reduction applied to it and sound was lifeless

So my question is what changed with this new USB cable that it out performed a well know USB regenerator and to top it all up made the sound even worst when used with regenerator.

The regenerator brought about positive changes when I was using basic USB cables

I apologize in advance if my question is too dumb to ask but i don't know much about technicalities of a cable (capacitance and resistance) and how clocks work wrt. to digital to analogue conversion. I have a basic idea but don't have deep knowledge in these subjects

My DAC is a burson audio conductor with ESS9018 dac board and a Cmedia USB interface and the USB cable in question is by an Australian company called VUE cables. Its a level 3 cable in which data lines are made of pure silver

The company has most probably closed down as the official site is down since a long time

Don't fault what works.  Experiment further to determine what introducing the Uptone is doing that detracts from the sound.  Could be used means it took a bad bump during shipping or it could just greatly benefit from using the USPCB adapter and your friend's VUE cable.

13 minutes ago, rando said:

Don't fault what works.  Experiment further to determine what introducing the Uptone is doing that detracts from the sound.  Could be used means it took a bad bump during shipping or it could just greatly benefit from using the USPCB adapter and your friend's VUE cable.

Hi

As far as I see I don't see it being damaged in any way that it should malfunction

Still , it was packed in its original box plus a box more with foam. 

Yes the USPCB adapter was what I was thinking to connect the regenerator to the dac. 

Right now I am using the DIY usb cable between regen and dac.

Even flipping the cables don't change the sound by much 

From pc to regenerator - DIY usb cable 

From regenerator to DAC - VUE usb cable 

Still using vue cable direct from pc to dac sounds way better 

2 minutes ago, rando said:

Sounds like your friend made an easy sale.

:)

Yeah he won't mind 

But to be frank he always knew I won't be the one who will buy the cable from him so he was in no way wanting me to try it out so I can purchase it 

Anyways have invited another good friend of mine to validate my claims as he has a good ear and has been into audio as a hobby since many more years then me 

Cables are always a potential for audible variation, because they can be interference noise generators, or carriers. Nothing to do with capacitance or inductance, in the conventional sense.

Does the USB regenerator connect via a cable on input. and output? If so, swap the two cables - does this make a difference?

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

Cables are always a potential for audible variation, because they can be interference noise generators, or carriers. Nothing to do with capacitance or inductance, in the conventional sense.

Does the USB regenerator connect via a cable on input. and output? If so, swap the two cables - does this make a difference?

He said he already tried swapping cables:

Right now I am using the DIY usb cable between regen and dac.

Even flipping the cables don't change the sound by much 

Still a surprise :)

By the way just gave the mentioned regen to a friend who has a northstar dac and some mid range audioquest cable 

He uses Mac mini as source with audirvana software 

He did find the ususal improvements with sound when he used the regen between dac and macmini

In his words the changes were subtle but still a positive change.

So the regen is working and has. K issues for sure