IGNORED

iTunes gone mad

16 hours ago, semente said:

I've been using this workflow for years without problems. I don't understand what happened...

Unfortunately I can't suggest any solution to your current difficulties but I faced the same decision as you about 10 years ago: how to separate classical music from jazz etc in iTunes. I solved the problem by (1) adding many new genres to my iTunes library (e.g. classical-classical, classical-romantic, classical-modern, classical-contemporary etc), (2) sticking with the basic iTunes library file structure (Artist/Album/Tracks) and (3) moving ALL the iTunes related folders to my NAS . I only run iTunes when I wish to add to the library or curate its contents. When I've had computer glitches (power cuts etc) the music library integrity has not been affected, unless I happen to be in the middle of an edit of the metadata.

Perhaps worth noting the independence of the physical file structure from the view of the music library provided by server and player software. My approach was to keep the physical file structure as simple as possible and tailor the GUI in the software to provide the display and control options I preferred. Only downside of this is that it can require extra computing in the NAS or control device, particularly for a large library (94k tracks).

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800