IGNORED

On the subject of "ringing"

semente

13 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

The high-frequency rolloff of the Ayre QA-9's Listen filter seems pretty benign. You can find my measurements at https://www.stereophile.com/content/ayre-acoustics-qa-9-usb-ad-converter-measurements

Below is fig.2  on that page, showing the frequency response at –1dBFS with the Listen filter,  analyzed in the digital domain, and data sampled at 192kHz (left channel blue, right red), 96kHz (left green, right gray), 48kHz (left cyan, right magenta)  The vertical scale is 1dB/div. The response at 20kHz is down by just a fraction of a dB at all 3 sample rates, though the rolloff is slow, which will potentially allow some aliasing at single Fs rates with some music.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

1112AQA9fig02.jpg

Something is off here. A 48 kHz sampled signal by definition has no content above 24 kHz. What is that graph actually showing?

3 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Look more closely at the graph using the color coding for the traces I supplied in my earlier posting.

Oh, I see now the traces stop at different places. That's far too many overlapping traces in one graph if you ask me.

Now that's settled, I'm anything but impressed. An anti-aliasing filter that is down only a few dB at Nyquist will result in severe aliasing if the input has any content above this frequency. For the higher sample rates, this might not be a problem, but for 44.1/48 kHz, a lot of music has content extending far enough above Nyquist that aliases could easily fold back well into the audible range.

1 minute ago, Shadders said:

I have mode NO mention of downsampling. Why you persist in repeating this, despite i am not talking about it, and my example does NOT state anything about downsampling, shows you intentionally lie about others to state that they are wrong.

The downsampling in Fokus' example is incidental and irrelevant. Use the 'sinc' effect in Sox to apply filters without resampling. You'll get the same effect.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, anwaypasible said:

pre ringing to me is when the quantified airspace of what the convolver frames has a gap with the frame of normal allocated space.

that can only happen with say 16bit audio going through a 24bit convolver, because thanks to the size difference between the two there is room for a gap (doesn't work/happen when staying within the same bitdepth).

WTF?

9 hours ago, anwaypasible said:

imagine you've got an audio track with phase that varies from 1 through 180 degrees.

What is that supposed to mean?