IGNORED

Installing the UpTone Audio MMK in a 2014 Mac mini

Wow Robert!

Can't thank you enough for posting the photos of your installation process (and for having given us permission to use some of these in our overdue photo-essay installation guide).

So glad that you--and hundreds of others--are enjoying the benefits of eliminating the high-current pulse train that normally controls the fan speed in the Mac mini (this occurs in other computers too, but it is harder to do anything about it for those).  It makes a very nice sonic difference to get rid of those 25KHz/0.5A pulses!

For those dropping by, MMK ($135) stands for "Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit."  Always in stock and available on our web site.  Use of our choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7 amp JS-2 linear power supply is optional, though after installation of an MMK (in a 2010/'11/'12/'14 Mac mini--all the thin ones) one does need to provide an external source of +12VDC--at least 4.5 amps.

By the way, the benefits of the Linear Fan Controller upgrade afforded by the MMK can be had even if the external power supply used is an SMPS (switch mode power supply) such as this $26 Mean Well GST90A.  The MMK will still provide smooth, variable DC to the fan--controlled by the Mac's OS, thermal sensors, and the fan tachometer--based on the varying cooling needs of the computer.

Of course the perforce and SQ will be better with a great linear supply, but we have had a bunch of people do the above while saving for a JS-2. B|

While the installation process may look challenging to some, folks all over the world have performed it without incident.  The MMK comes with a toolkit and detailed instructions, and I am always available to assist.

Lastly, I will mention that for those who buy a JS-2 and an MMK (at the same time or years apart), we offer complimentary installation/test of the MMK in your Mac mini.  All you pay for that service is the round-trip shipping of the computer.  A number of people have even had Apple drop-ship a new or refurbished Mac directly to UpTone for this free service.

Regards,

--Alex C.

• 5 months later...
19 hours ago, johndoe21ro said:

I appreciate the effort to write down an answer but that doesn't help me much. The fan speed is high and it's high without it even being turned on. When it's on it remains high... Looking for an answer from a Mac Mini owner... 

Sounds like you need to reset the SMC (System Management Controller):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201295

Feel free to contact me directly for further assistance.  Frankly there is almost nothing that can fail on the MMK.  If your machine was working fine with the MMK installed, then your installation was correct.  Most likely either your Mac is failing or the external power supply you are using has a problem.  The ultimate way to prove that for yourself is to reinstall the original Apple 7.2A SMPS (you did save it and the clip, etc. right?)

Keep us posted,

--Alex C.

14 hours ago, johndoe21ro said:

The culprit was the white ribbon cable! After its re-insertion everything went just fine. 

That’s great! Thank for letting us know you figured it out.  

Somehow we had the impression that you had had the MMK installed and that your machine was running fine with it for a while before the problem started.  But rereading your original post it does seem this was a new installation that you just recently made.  Had I not made the wrong assumption I would have suggested you check the MMK cable connections. 9_9

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, musicguy said:

I just did my MMK install.   A big thank you for this forum very helpful.

1st  way better sound,  need i say more.

2nd.  How can i test my fan to make sure everything is working correct.

musicguy

First: Congratulations on your successful installation of our popular Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK)!

You should have received an addendum e-mail from us which contained--among other pre-install hints--information and links for testing operation of the fan (still under automatic control of the operating system and Mac mini thermal sensors).  Here is the relevances excerpt from that e-mail:

Upon first power up after you complete the installation of the MMK (or maybe before you even start), please download the free fan speed/temperature utility called "Macs Fan Control” from http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control and launch it to be sure that your Mac mini fan is running.  
It should report at least 1800 rpm, and if you double-click on the highlighted Exhaust fan you can then select "Constant RPM value" and run it up to a high speed to listen and confirm fan control (you have to click OKAY to have the speed change take effect, and be sure to set it back to automatic afterwards so the computer and OS X will adjust the fan as needed).

Alternatively, you can leave the cover off during first power-up after MMK installation and use a flashlight to confirm the fan is running (it is all black in there so it can be hard to tell).  If for some reason the fan is not running, then please shut down your Mac mini and recheck all connections.

Another popular free utility for fan control and temperature reporting is smcFanControl from http://www.eidac.de.  That is what I had been using, but I am recommending "Macs Fan Control" because it reports the fan speed the moment you launch it.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.  We are always here to help.

Enjoy your upgraded Mac mini.  And if you did not purchase it with our acclaimed JS-2 choke-filtered, dual-output, 5~7.4 amp linear power supply, perhaps you will consider upgrading to one in the future.

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Andy-HandyHifi said:

I have ALMOST completed this modification successfully, (after having to purchase a separate tool kit as the 2014 needs a T5 Torx to remove the wireless card, which I am not sure really needed to be done looking at it now, but it is what it is and here we are) 

I have watched the rebuilt on youtube and it looks so EASY but in my photo below I have circled my problem, and try as I might, I just CANNOT get these to snap back on in place.. I removed them properly with a spudger.   I am THIS close to completing this mod and I have a Proforma LPS just waiting for to power it up

Oooh... There was no need to remove the wireless card for the install.

There is a chance that the uFl coaxial connectors got bent inside.  Can you unplug them and take a close-up photo of the contacts on the ends of the cable?