IGNORED

Computerphool confessions

1. I block the built-in camera on my dedicated TAILS laptop, which supposedly has the camera disabled at BIOS level.

2. I run shell loop from bash command line level all the time.

3. I do batch editing with massive regular expression in vi all the time.

Note: The above are totally made up :D

10 hours ago, accwai said:

1. I block the built-in camera on my dedicated TAILS laptop, which supposedly has the camera disabled at BIOS level.

2. I run shell loop from bash command line level all the time.

3. I do batch editing with massive regular expression in vi all the time.

Note: The above are totally made up :D

1.- I fight fire with fire - I am always naked in front of my laptop camera - if you access it, it's your vision and your dinner to lose ! :D

2.- I use emacs for everything... and I mean EVERYTHING!!!!!! (cue gary oldman)

3.- I haven't touched mac or windows since 2013.

All true

v

18 hours ago, mansr said:

I actually do that, often nested three levels.

Even more hardcore than me. Good guy! x-D

2 hours ago, mansr said:

I use Emacs for everything except running vi.

Doesn't emacs have a vi mode?

Back when I was working as part-time sysadmin at the computing department of my old university, I used emacs extensively as well. But in Unix single user mode, you can never be sure you have all the filesystems needed by emacs mounted . So you have to be well versed in vi. In fact, sometimes you can't even rely on having full screen editing available. So you need to know how to work with ed as well.

31 minutes ago, accwai said:

Back when I was working as part-time sysadmin at the computing department of my old university, I used emacs extensively as well. But in Unix single user mode, you can never be sure you have all the filesystems needed by emacs mounted . So you have to be well versed in vi. In fact, sometimes you can't even rely on having full screen editing available. So you need to know how to work with ed as well.

Been there on a DEC Tru64 system. Had to use ed to fix some config file I'd messed up.

22 hours ago, wgscott said:

2. I use zsh instead of bash or tcsh.

I remember when tcsh was nothing more than a context diff patch for the BSD csh.  This is the mid-late 80s.  You needed first an AT&T UNIX source code license, then the BSD source (which included csh, vi, and many other goodies).

When Linux arrived, things changed pretty radically.  Just ask SCO.  :)

The whole "up arrow" command line history thing came from VMS (I think).  With UNIX before "up arrow" history, you needed to be pretty proficient with history regex and pushd/popd.

13 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Back in the days of hard copy terminals, there were no curses based editors.  You haven't lived until you added new users to a UNIX system using only "ed" and "mkdir", and "chown".  :)

I wrote a shell script (in zsh) that does exactly that to make a new user account, so I could do it remotely (except for the ed part.  I have my limits.)

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

The whole "up arrow" command line history thing came from VMS (I think). 

I have it, combined with command-line completion, so if I want to re-use a command that starts with m, I can then hit the m key (or the whole word) and the up arrow repeatedly until I get to the command of choice

2 hours ago, wgscott said:

It is the only reason I use it.  Before OS X came along, I had a big ugly SGI sitting on my desk to do work, and a feeble little mac (OS 9 or earlier) for writing papers and grants.

That is true - few people quite realizes this, but OS X made the dream of a viable unix desktop WORKSTATION come true (and intel's progress helped too) - too bad the company went evil - that sent me back to Linux -  Dell Precision 7710 quad Xeon - runs rings around most computers around here and no evil software in it.

v

I've used Solaris, Tru64, and (currently) Linux as workstation OS. In their prime, the former two did everything you'd expect of them, but of course only Linux has stayed current. A lot of design choices in Linux are actually modelled after Solaris which for a long time was the pioneer in advanced OS features. OS X, on the other hand, is an utter horror. Although the GUI is pretty at first glance, doing anything productive (in my line of work) is infuriating. I want a system where every last detail can be customised to my liking. The computer is a tool and should do my bidding, not the other way around.

10 minutes ago, mansr said:

I've used Solaris, Tru64, and (currently) Linux as workstation OS. In their prime, the former two did everything you'd expect of them, but of course only Linux has stayed current. A lot of design choices in Linux are actually modelled after Solaris which for a long time was the pioneer in advanced OS features. OS X, on the other hand, is an utter horror. Although the GUI is pretty at first glance, doing anything productive (in my line of work) is infuriating. I want a system where every last detail can be customised to my liking. The computer is a tool and should do my bidding, not the other way around.

You should be able to do any unixy thing on OS X with little to no drama, with the exception of some kernel-specific tasks.  Installing fink or macports can help a lot, and X11 is a must in my line of work as well.  The biggest PITA is Apple's fictional belief that FORTRAN is legacy.

10 minutes ago, mansr said:

I assume you do embedded systems  (sorry if I am wrong) yeah - NOTHING works on OSX - flashing tools, profilers, etc - in the past was forced to use windows - then we moved our stuff to Linux - pretty happy about it (bye bye QNX) - could not do anything that I do on the mac, unfortunately.... and also Apple went evil... :D

v