IGNORED

Confusion About Best Subwoofer Option For My Audio System

5 hours ago, TubeLover said:

pair of subs is the only way to go

Anytime you hear absolutes in audio it's wrong :D

I'd tend to agree that two make more sense if you have the room. I don't know the assumptions their calculator uses. Their answer may have something to do with room size and the placement of the speakers. 

I think your idea of calling to discuss it with them is a good one.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, Mordikai said:

I believe in distributed subs, I use 4 in my main system and love it!! Even bass response in all the listening positions, and it'll rattle the walls when I break out the edm. :)

Yes, it is a good way to do it and you can even use smaller subs when you do it this way. 

Not everyone  has the physical setup that allows for 4 subs, unfortunately.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

1 hour ago, Mordikai said:

The mains subs are 4 - Aura ns18's in 8 cu ft sealed enclosures. I understand that this is a lot of space and overkill for most music. In my bedroom I'm doing 4 very small .75 cu ft subs which should reach the upper 20's in room.

I've wished in the past I could try it. Just couldn't be done in my environment. There's a company in the States that specialized in selling "swarm" setups of subs. Can't remember the name.

One of the reasons I went to the Kii Three system was that it gave me subwoofer  type bass without needing space and/or available corners.

2 subs next to the 2 monitors usually works pretty well if that's all that's practical for you. I'd also suggest buying subs that have a built in Room Correction  function. They cost more, but the RC helps a lot when your setup isn't perfect. 

You might want to send REL a simple diagram of your room with room dimensions and placement of furniture and spearkers and listening point. 

Then they  can probably tell you what would work best for that setup.