IGNORED

multichannel digital output?

I like to process sound files on my PC using the AudioMulch software. I would like to have at least 4 channels of output. For stereo, I have been using a "HagUSB" (see hagtech.com) to link my laptop via spdif to my DAC. I love the sound, and this is quite a cheap solution. I would like to use a similar solution for multichannel output. In my view, it would be ideal to get something like a DTS signal so that I can use my Meridian processor as a lovely 4-channel DAC. Unfortunately I am not aware of any DTS encoder that I can use with AudioMulch for "live" encoding (I have only seen encoders that can be used for converting files). If anyone has an idea, I would be greatful!

Another approach that I would like: to use two HagUSB converters, one for each pair of channels. Each could be connected to a DAC. In AudioMulch, I can adress different output devices individually, but I don't know what will happen if I attach two identical converters. Will they get the same name or "USB1" and "USB2"? Any experiences with this rather unusual setup? I imagine there might be limitations due to the nature of USB...

Of course I could get a multichannel soundcard. Actually I already have one (Terratec DMX 6 Fire USB). BUT it has 6 analog outputs - and I do not like the sound quality at all. So I would prefer a soundcard with more than one coaxial digital output, and preferably no analog inputs and outputs (to keep things simple). Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for any inputs!

The first card that comes to mind is the Lynx AES16(e) which provides you with multiple digital outputs (and inputs) though via AES which will need some conversion to connect to a SPDIF DAC. Similarly there is the RME HDSP AES32 (and PCIe equivalent). Both of these are around £600.

Another thought I had was the Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 which has been used to output multi-channel into the multi-channel digital inputs of a Meridian processor so may suit you.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.