IGNORED

Keep Losing my MiND

I am having a very frustrating time with my Simaudio Moon MiND 180. Sometimes my network sees it, more often than not, it doesn't.

I use any of 4 control points Galaxy S8+ phone, Galaxy Tab E tablet, iphone7 or Ipad.... All of which have issues finding the MiND Zone at times. It's inconsistent. Sometimes during play, the Zone disconnects and then it's just gone.... All the while the music is playing, I cannot clear the playlist, nothing. 

Music is on a NAS drive (synology DS213-2 bay),

Control Point software is either Bubble UPnP or the Moon App... both lose the MiND

Server software is either the Synology Audio Server or Asset UPnP... Bubble no longer even sees my server software so I stopped using it.

Now I realize there is likely a networking thing going on... but what? And how does one fix something as cryptic as the dark magic of home networking issues?

Just to make things even more fun, my router is supplied from my TV/Internet/everything else carrier, Telus..... Yeah, I'm in Canada.... no, it's not the snow.... ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BigBadger

things to try -

1. Check the router DHCP IP address assignments for any conflicts - probably OK but worth checking.

2. You haven't said if using wifi or not for the MiND 180,  if using wifi it may be worth trying a physical cable connection for the streamer, control points should be ok on wifi.

3. add an inexpensive switch such as a Netgear 8 port and connect all network devices to the switch, with one connection from the switch to the router. ISP supplied routers can sometimes be a bit erratic in an audio streaming setup.

10 hours ago, Alvantri said:

things to try -

1. Check the router DHCP IP address assignments for any conflicts - probably OK but worth checking.

2. You haven't said if using wifi or not for the MiND 180,  if using wifi it may be worth trying a physical cable connection for the streamer, control points should be ok on wifi.

3. add an inexpensive switch such as a Netgear 8 port and connect all network devices to the switch, with one connection from the switch to the router. ISP supplied routers can sometimes be a bit erratic in an audio streaming setup.

Not really up on DHCP but it appears the router  'sees' the 180 and has assigned the IP address to it and only it.

I abhor wi-fi when not necessary .. All my stuff is hardwired.

I've done that. I have a Netgear 8 port for all my gear.

BB

Have you checked to see if there is a software update for the MiND180?   

---

Tech stuff:

When things are working properly try to see if you can ping the device.  We want to set a baseline of operation.  If it responds to ping when we can test to see if it responds when the control programs  stop talking.  This "might" help to debug the problem.  We are trying to prove that the device OS is responding on the network below the control programs. 

The following link is an OK description of what and how do to a Ping test.  It assumes you have a desktop /laptop device on your same network as the stereo.

https://kb.netgear.com/989/Testing-network-connectivity-with-ping

If still having problems I would further check for possible IP address conflicts on the network even though the router may report it all ok. Download a free network sniffer program called 'Fing' from Google play or App store and scan the network and check each ip address for all network devices.

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:23 AM, bobfa said:

Have you checked to see if there is a software update for the MiND180?   

---

Tech stuff:

When things are working properly try to see if you can ping the device.  We want to set a baseline of operation.  If it responds to ping when we can test to see if it responds when the control programs  stop talking.  This "might" help to debug the problem.  We are trying to prove that the device OS is responding on the network below the control programs. 

The following link is an OK description of what and how do to a Ping test.  It assumes you have a desktop /laptop device on your same network as the stereo.

https://kb.netgear.com/989/Testing-network-connectivity-with-ping

yes, no further updates available. I missed the 'ping' part of your message. I'll give it a go. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

@BigBadger

Even if the thread is already a few days old, the problem with my Mind 180 still existed: It is connected to a NAS (Synology 213j) via the router by LAN and constantly lost contact with my iPhone. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Strangely enough, the control sometimes also ran smoothly for several hours. All updates were made, nothing helped. Also the tip to switch briefly to flight mode before using the Mind didn't help.

Maybe I have now found a solution. Since I deactivated the automatic selection of the WiFi transmission channel at my router and selected a fixed channel, everything works fine. The mind probably loses contact with the smartphone or app as soon as the router changes the WiFi channel. I have not entered any WiFi data in the app, but the Mind is controlled via WiFi anyway.

Maybe this helps someone.

Stefan

Go where you feel most alive.

May be it is a stupid suggestion for those who streams from NAS to a DAC but it seems to me that fixed IP address should be assigned to the NAS and the setting in the controlling software should specify the IP address of the NAS where the music files are stored. 

MetalNuts

Thank you for your help. 

@Ishmael Slapowitz

No, the Moon 180 MiND isn‘t Roon ready.😕

@MetalNuts

The issue is in fact, that only the connection between iPhone and MiND is lost. The server stays connected without a problem. The music keeps running, though the MiND is out of control: The seconds in the title information start to stumble, before it stops completely and no key of the control reacts anymore, but the music keeps running. You have to close the app and re-start it. 

Sorry, my misunderstanding then.  I use Roon and occasionally Roon lost connection with my renderer and I have to close Roon wait for a while and re-start Roon before I can resume control. Sometimes, it takes too long and I will use Lumin instead.

MetalNuts

The original MiND module is just terrible. It is a low end component sourced by a 3rd party. Half of the things that should work on it do not. It has a partial support for DLNA and most of the features work only via the MiND app which crashes most of the time. There not much you can do except ensuring you run the latest firmware. Other than that, it is just a poor product. 

@Ran You are probably right. The whole systems seems to be crappy. I don't speak of one crash per day. I speak of one crash every ten seconds. 

The strange thing is, that I used my old iPad this afternoon and it worked perfectly. No crash, wonderful sound. Then I connected my switch with a mains filter and the whole sh… started again. Took the mains filter out, the app kept crashing every ten seconds. Resetting the system, disconnected the mains plug, waited for some minutes, no way. 

At the very first beginning after I bought the device everything was fine. Changed some devices and the issues began. And it seems that there is no way back to a working system. Really frustrating.🤬

@Lightstream I found that once you try to connect to the MiND with a second device, the app will crash while the app on the first device will lose connectivity. There is / was something funky in the communication protocol between the MiND device and the app. I ended up selling the equipment. Support from Simaudio was useless. Not sure if they have fixed anything in the current version.