IGNORED

HQPlayer won't play. What am I doing wrong?

i have installed the latest version of HQP (3.20.1). I have created my library and set up my settings for my T+A DAC 8 DSD. However, I can't get HQP to play. If I double click on an album, the album art appears briefly and then disappears. Nothing shows in the artist/performer/album line and nothing shows on the display of my DAC. I have things set up to upsample to DSD512. Attached are screen shots of the player, settings, and library. I don't know if the problem is with HQP or with Windows 10. I have disabled a number of services but I don't believe any should affect HQP playback.

y aHQP.thumb.jpg.e8a258d6d011a11095c245573bde4e68.jpg5a6147a034828_HQPsettimgs.thumb.jpg.a1326c030361e2f1d29522519ceafc16.jpg5a6147a57e917_HQPLibrary.thumb.jpg.b413ffdd6f3d5e8341972b43f9778110.jpg

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

39 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

You have it set to upsample to DSD1024, 48 rate family.

44.1 x 512 is what I’d try.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are my hero. :)

My server just came back from replacing the overheating Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD with the Samsung 850 Pro SSD that you recommended, and I obviously forget the correct bit rate. Dumb on my part, but it works now.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I have it running at 48 x 512, which I now recall is what Miska recommended for the T+A DAC 8 DSD.

9 minutes ago, Allan F said:

I have it running at 48 x 512, which I now recall is what Miska recommended for the T+A DAC 8.

I think I read that the 5th order modulators are the best for the T&A.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

19 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

I think I read that the 5th order modulators are the best for the T&A.

I will experiment with it. Miska had suggested ASDM7 as default. What is really encouraging is that the 850 Pro SSD is running at about 42C at DSD512. By contrast, the 960 Evo was idling at 59C and was getting up to 79C or more at DSD512. Samsung's maximum recommended operating temperature is 70C.

4 hours ago, Allan F said:

I will experiment with it. Miska had suggested ASDM7 as default. What is really encouraging is that the 850 Pro SSD is running at about 42C at DSD512. By contrast, the 960 Evo was idling at 59C and was getting up to 79C or more at DSD512. Samsung's maximum recommended operating temperature is 70C.

Not an expert but from what I've read is that the 960 pro is more suited for heavy use.

[br]

10 hours ago, mordante said:

Not an expert but from what I've read is that the 960 pro is more suited for heavy use.

Not if it overheats as did the 960 Evo M.2, which shut down my PC with the warning, "Back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive..." Both the 960 Pro and the 960 Evo are prone to overheating and throttling under heavy load. The 850 Pro, unlike those M.2 drives, is located near the top of the case and does not overheat. It is capable of doing the job it is tasked to do.

That's about overall cooling inside the computer case. HQPlayer itself uses the storage same way regardless of DSP settings. But combined heat production of CPU + other components and the overall case cooling is what drives things like SSD temperatures. Fast SSDs, RAM, etc run hotter so the overall heat bill increases.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

That's about overall cooling inside the computer case. HQPlayer itself uses the storage same way regardless of DSP settings. But combined heat production of CPU + other components and the overall case cooling is what drives things like SSD temperatures. Fast SSDs, RAM, etc run hotter so the overall heat bill increases.

Thank you for the explanation. If I understand correctly, however, Is it not true that HQPlayer upsampling to DSD512 will generate more heat overall than less compute heavy DSP settings, making it more likely that an SSD may overheat, especially a fast M.2 drive attached to the mobo? This is in no way intended as a criticism of HQPlayer.

18 hours ago, Allan F said:

Thank you for the explanation. If I understand correctly, however, Is it not true that HQPlayer upsampling to DSD512 will generate more heat overall than less compute heavy DSP settings, making it more likely that an SSD may overheat, especially a fast M.2 drive attached to the mobo? This is in no way intended as a criticism of HQPlayer.

Sure, CPU will generate more heat. Different SSD models produce different amount of heat. But SSD will generate same heat regardless of HQPlayer settings. Combined heat bill is of course different... And that combined heat needs to be taken out of the case or something will overheat (each component depending on their upper heat tolerance limits).

In my fanless Streacom FC10 configuration I have Intel 600p series M.2 SSD. And the CPU is i5 7600T so it doesn't produce much heat compared to heat sink capacity (65W TDP spec while the CPU is 35W TDP).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers