IGNORED

OT: Share your hobbies beyond being an audiophile

4 hours ago, wgscott said:

I look at cycling more as an activity than a hobby, but if it counts, I do a fair amount of riding both on and off-road.

We have two golden retrievers.  I kind of hesitate to call that a hobby, but it does consume a fair amount of time and money, so in that sense probably it qualifies.

As a scientist, I'm kind of in a fortunate position in the sense that I get paid to pursue that as a hobby.

I left off 2 of those 3 as I also don't consider them hobbies; same with some other things

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby

I am not sure where to put the 'gentlemen scientists' of the Victorian era, or related groups in France, Italy and no doubt ancient China...

My current Golden got a terrible bacterial infection a year ago.  Apparently, the moron who gave him a dog bath/trim was rough with the clippers, cutting him and when went he went thru a shallow mud puddle on a hike, his foot picked up the bacteria.

Nothing in the GI tract, only in blood samples.

The expense was the least of my worries.

• 1 year later...
On 2/23/2019 at 12:23 AM, biosailor said:

In the light of a recently retired, I propose another hobby: TIME!

After having retired from a most demanding job in science full of a crammed agenda, meetings, project discussions, and lecturing, I am delighted to start a day without a fixed agenda, enjoying a good cup of coffee and reading the papers from A to Z. What a luxury of being able to drift into a day and ask myself what Iam going to do to make it a good day. I am fully enjoying this initial part of my retirement.

I am fully aware that such a delightful state doesn‘t last for ever. I used to be a fanatic skier, but being away from skiing for more than 20 years, I dislike the ever growing industry around skiing: artificial snow, leveling out ski tracks, ever more ski lifts. And seeing the damage this development does to the fragile balance in the mountains, I totally refuse to go skiing again. Instead, I took up snow shoe hiking. What a delight to climb a mountain slowly and quietly and fully being immersed in the landscape! See the attached picture of my last tour in the central parts of Switzerland. I so much enjoyed my new activity, that I‘ll take up ski touring as my next endeavour.

I keep thinking about filling my free time with more and more hobbies, so keep up the good suggestions in this thread!

C8A2F7FB-7413-4500-ADCA-43293B1C93BD.jpeg

Free Your Heels; Free your Mind