IGNORED

Best next upgrade up from microRendu? Go for Ultra or SOtM or a Server or something else?

26 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

My fear is this current set up will better the Aurender $8000 server so just can’t jump live without a net on that one. Unless I knew it was superior then I’d do it but I don’t know that at all. Anyone here on of those? 

Replacing the microrendu for the SOTM Ultra will bring a substantial improvement with what you have - no doubt and not a huge amount to spend. The best of what's been listed above is the Innuos zenith SE again it will better what you have. However the SE is reaching the end of it's 100 unit production and there doesn't appear to be plans to extend this. Therefore it can be safely assumed that there is something new on the horizon. It might be worth  few weeks wait and use an Ultra as a stopgap.

1 minute ago, fsmithjack said:

UltraRendu 

Lol. I was wrong on both counts. You can do as you suggest, the final sound will be dominated by the Ultrarendu and its power supply.

The Ultrarendu is a bit on the bright (or revealing side) partnered with an LPS1 its a bright forward sound. This brightness is tamed a bit by the Isoregen. Partnering the Ultrarendu with the JS2 in my opinion would be better- a smoother overall sound with better grip and detail in the bass. Alternatively using 2 LPS1's in series, will work. I think you will need to experiment, you might just love the sound with Ultrarendu and LPS1.

7 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

NUC I7 with SSD HD for W10 OS and JRiver 22 powered by JS-2

UltraRendu Powered by LPS-1

txUSB Ultra Powered by LPS-1

What you listed may sound fabulous. You could replace the LPS1 powering the Ultrarendu with the new LPS 1.2 model coming out soon, if you needed to tweak the sound further. I would get the SOTM sPS500 power supply rather than the HDPlex. It has a smooth warm but highly detailed balance its a superior product. This would complement the Ultrarendu. Alternatively you could use it to power the server and use the JS2 for the ultrarendu, it will give you a bit more flexibility. The txUSBUltra works well with the LPS1. Your Breeze audio power supplies would need to be at least 5 amps rated, if so you could try them. The first thing I would do is slot the Ultrarendu into your current sytem and take it from there.

16 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

Do you think the NUC with JS-2 and SSD for OS and I7 and more ram will help sound vs my A8 processor and spinning drive? 

It will sound better due to the JS2 low noise power supply. You don't need huge amounts of RAM for audio 4GB (8gB max) is plenty. SSD vs HDD is another debate I prefer hard discs, the biggest impact will be the JS2 not the NUC, I.M.O

Regarding your server, Instead of the NUC and i7 you could also look at the j1900 celeron processor this is used in the innuos Zenith SE.

It's a low powered 10 Watt processor. There are some ready made servers based on this. It could easily run Jriver. You could add to it SOTM's txUSB exp PCIE card with sCLK ex 48 clock, for improved USB output.  This will sound fabulous when powered with the JS2 and other upgrades planned. Either USB output or ethernet to Ultrarendu.

just 1 example of a ready made server.

http://www.mitxpc.com/proddetail.php?prod=RS-1UACT1900

35 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

If I am using Ethernet out to the UltraRendu why would I focus on improving the pc usb out and clock and all that - doesn't the ultra help with all that? Trying to learn is all. Thx 

Yes if you are going to use the ethernet out to ultrarendu no need to improve the pc's USB. If using Sotm's USB PCIE card then no need for Ultrarendu.

1) PC/ ethernet - Ultrarendu- txUSB Ultra (you could also keep your Isoregen before txUSB Ultra)

or

2) PC/SOTM (txUSBexp+ sclk48 = USB out)- txUSB Ultra

hope its clearer now.

35 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

Guys - to use the tx-USB ultra do I need to get the ultra 200 also to take full advantage of the master clock? or can I get the ultraRendu and then choose the tx-USB ultra and not get the master clock or do i get the master clock and still use with ultraRendu. This is the kind of stuff that shows the limit of my understanding of how all these bland together? Thanks for all of the help. 

To clarify its a mater clock input to use with a master clock such as SOTM's new reference clock ( not yet released ) or something like the MUTEC M10. You can link it to either the txUSB Ultra or sMS200 Ultra or both simultaneously. The M10 has 8 inputs. You can use the Ultrarendu with a txUSB Ultra with master clock input, or the sMS 200 Ultra and txUSB Ultra both with master clock inputs.

10 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

-- UltraRendu powered by ???? (loves/need idea's here)

-- USPCB to ISO Regen powered by LPS-1 then

Definitely you are on the right path. you could try the Ultrarendu with the new LPS 1.2 if things were a bit too bright then you could swap the USPCB with a lush USB cable just as a tweak. If you weren't too worried about loading times then a large HDD would be fine. Alternatively an SSD for OS and an external attached storage HDD via USB would work.

26 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

There is a used Lumin U1 for $3500. Does that beat this set up hands down?

How about this?

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/innuos-zenith-mkii-1tb-hdd-music-server?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkZHTBRCBARIsAMbXLhEvVdf23I5LEECfnZw89jOpxAHa0cDpkJqY3lDxhfXL_ygLCk5iCBoaAtcvEALw_wcB

Innuos zenith Mk ii as server, ethernet out to Ultrarendu (use the js2 with Ultrarendu), possibly add txUSB Ultra with LPS1

or Innuos zenith Mkii as server, USB out to tx USB Ultra.

50ohm or 75ohm depends on Master clock choice May @ SOTM recommended 50hm to me.

9 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

wow that looks great. there is no one in the us to sell these? too bad. could i use with with just my iso regen and power supplies? money does come into play if i added something like this - I might be able to swing that? Does it use jriver or prob its own server software?

It uses its own software and has its own power supply, so yes you can use your own power supplies further down the line I'm sure you can get a US version, it will be much better than the NUC and you could slot it right into your setup. On its own it would beat what you have right now.

2 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

Do you think the one in the add that attached to this post will do 120v?

Thanks

It looks like its multi compatible, you will just need to change the plug from UK to USA. Best check with the dealer to confirm. I would expect with postage and import duties might be easier to get it direct your end.

1 hour ago, fsmithjack said:

with this if / when I get the Bricasti ethernet media card added to my dac this will be applicable as well right? that makes it great  the nuc was also applicable here but not the other sotm stuff so this looks like a better idea that can work with it all correct?

You can use it both ways, USB out to DAC or Ethernet out to renderer. Most use the USB out, but I think in a recent review of the se version, Jason Kennedy preferred Ethernet  out to renderer. A good idea is to get one out on a 30 day loan then you can try it out and see how you get on with it.

2 hours ago, Ben2300 said:

This is no longer their flagship. I think people are talking about the MKII SE version not the std version.

The difference is small, certainly not in proportion to the large increase in cost. I think @BigAlMc has both under test he would know more.

I originally thought that the microrendu was the week link but its actually the PC/ source also - hence the recomendation for a j1900 based server - just because its known to sound good. Well this has a celeron j1900 motherboard and for the price it would make a great source to build on eith via USB ( adding and txUSBUltra at a later date if wanted) or ethernet eg Ultrarendu etc. It probably wont need anything extra as an addon and wil outperform what is there now.

3 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

WHAT DO YOU THINK GUYS...

Its difficult to opt for a preference because you've finalised 3 very good proposals now and I doubt theres a large gap in sound quality between any of the 3, its down to personal preferences now. I also like the idea of the incremental approach - dealing first with the weekest parts server and microrendu and adding the rest in stages. The superserver will allow you more customisation the ability to use jriver etc but the Innuos is known to sound good and as @beerandmusic's point will have a resale value. Best of luck with your decision.

5 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

What do you guys know of the Melco N1Z/2 Hardware Melco N1Z/2 is the flagship of the new Mk2 series.

I've heard very good things about it, Hers a review comparing it to the Zenith it might help.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/innous-zenith-mkii-music-server/

I think theres another review floating around somewhere that favours the Melco. I deally a listen would help you decide.

You sound like an Antipodes DX kind of guy if you can stretch the budget.

The owner of Verastarr Cables which makes fantastic / super high end / incredible cables / I have tried a few bought 10 motherboards and other internals and built these DYI versions that are made to use with a top notch linear power supply so it is much cheaper but of course you need to buy a quality power supply but it is basically a DX for $2,900

Sounds good ask him to try one with your JS2. Antipodes is a detailed forward sound I like it very much I think they are releasing a newer version soon. At this level there are'nt huge gaps between products there aren't any day and night differences, I think it's a matter of personal preference.

21 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

I mean I bought on Amazon so I can return I guess - do you think this is real

Hate to say this but it does not look like the same motherboard as Innuos. Just the same processor. There's no way of knowing what it would sound like unless you try it out. I would send it back.

@fsmithjack this is the server I posted earlier - the price is not far apart from the one you bought on amazon, you can add bits like ram (make sure it's 1.35v) ssd, etc, to it if it works out cheaper than the original 'Thinkmate' link I posted.

https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-Barebone-Components-Other-SYS-E200-8B/dp/B00T4XV1Y8

There's also a used ultrarendu being advertised on here on CA for sale forum that might interest you.

Perfect upgrade and sounds much much better than my regular pc. Everything works perfect and I installed JRiver MC23 install and all is good. It is not a licensed version Windows 10 so what does that mean?

That's good news, I think with windows you'll just get the unlicensed messages that's all, if you don't mind the messages it'll work fine. You can buy cheap license keys from eBay, genuine ones that have been taken from dismantled machines. You'll just need to confirm its not being used on another machine to get it registered. Just check the sellers feedback first.