IGNORED

Best next upgrade up from microRendu? Go for Ultra or SOtM or a Server or something else?

10 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

Hey guys what do you think? What is the next best bang for buck upgrade up from the mircoRednu?

- Part of  my system I listed in my signature 

- To go with my microRendu I use and already own below. Was wondering if you guys knew of the next best thing I should plug in? I have been thinking UltraRendu but thought you guys might have some nice ideas before I pull the trigger on that. Here is the other stuff that makes my rendu sound so nice.

Uptone Audio: JS-2 Linear Power Supply

Uptone Audio: LPS-1 (2 units)

Uptone Audio: ISO Regen and Amber Regen

Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB Cable

Curious Regen Link

Uptone Audio 2 x USPCB A/B Adapters

Breeze Audio 12V Linear Power Supplies (2)

Ghent Audio DC Cables

Audioquest Vodka RJ/E

Cardas Clear RJ/E

Audoquest Forest RJ/E (3)

Netgear GS108 network switch

PS Audio P10 and a half dozen PS Audio Noise Harvesters

HP PC as server w/Roon 1.4 and JRiver MC22, I find JRiver to sound much better and I find PC sounds better than Sonic Transporter but really because JRiver can only be used on  pc and JRiver flat out sounds better.

Would love some feedback and idea;s from you guys.

Thanks  

your chain is too long...sell it all and start over.

honest opinion....

If i were to start over I would buy the best used streamer/dac in your budget (that you could resell easily, e.g. ps audio, aurendar, auralic or similar) as I suspect major advances in the next year or two.

PS, what is your reason for wanting to upgrade?  2016 product of year doesn't cut it anymore?  That should tell you how things are advancing.

Now that i see your gear and read your post,

I would consider the INNUOS stuff if you haven't already?

I heard that Austin pop went that way from his SOTM...

I know i personally would prefer simpler and maybe that is why Austin went that way...check with him on how he liked his update....he is well respected here and has extensive knowledge and experience with SOTM.

4 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

Beerandmusic thanks - I’ll read those tonight! Thanks 

I would pm austin pop directly.

He has compared sotm and rendu and has just moved to the INNUOS.  I don't believe anyone here is more respected that would have better insight for you here regarding those 3 products (e.g. rendu, sotm, and innuos).

On 1/22/2018 at 2:45 PM, fsmithjack said:

It shows that it has a linear power supply with it but I assume its not that good? I have a Uptone Audio JS-2 so maybe that will work with it? What do you guys think? Lumin U1 with JS-2 or still to my other plan - maybe Innuos? 

Lumin has good reviews, but the zeniths are newer models and likely have newer advances in technology, plus their interface looks nice...if i had your money, i would go zenith, and i have been seriously contemplating the lumin d2 (more along my budget).

20 minutes ago, One and a half said:

The Zenith have hdd that are too small for an ever expanding library, unless everything was converted to MP3. Also not sure if Roon server can be installed either.

D2 uses noisiest Ethernet , unless there’s heavy filtering, lps for a start.

the zenith is out of my budget...D2 is only i could afford for myself...not sure what you mean by "noisiest enet"? are their diagrams showing the noise of differnt streamers that you compared it to?

The zenith having hdd is a plus?  many streamers don't have hd at all, and wish to keep their hd on nas or other?

Are you promoting the Lumin U1 over the Zenith?

6 hours ago, KingRex said:

If your still unsure call Mojo Audio.  Playing files from the internal drive far surpass my $8K analog setup in most every way.  Streaming from a NAS is not as good,

Wow...this is first time i have heard that internal storage sounds better than enet.

I am sure it is dependent with the rest of the design.  What exact manufacturer/model are you talking about playing internal storage from??

Have you tried Rendu Ultra or SOTM Ultra to compare to your internal storage solution?

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

Navigation lesson: Move the mouse over my name, where it says "One and a Half replied to topic", and it takes you straight to the post that's quoted.

you are going to have to elaborate what you are saying.  I see the link about IT equipment, but I have no idea what point you are trying to make?

1 hour ago, fsmithjack said:

Guys - I am very close to pulling the trigger on the Innous but back of my head I am thinking this. It is more money and more boxes and cables (which bothers some but not me because I am all about the sound) but I don't have time or skill to make my own. Can you guys tell me - please help me if I chose this route if:

- You think it will sound better 

- what I should do different ( add a certain NAS or cable or something else, I am just patching this together from you.

Verse the Innous I am thinkingL

SOtM 200ultra with clock option upgrade option - Uptone LPS-1 - Ghent Cables 

SOtM txUSB ultra with clock option upgrade - Uptone LPS-1

mutec ref 10 - (what cables do I use here - 50ohm or 75ohm and no idea what cable to use and do I need a special power supply for this.

NUC I7 so I can run my beloved JRiver and powered by Uptone JS-2

I will get the Uptone switch when availavle

Will this SOtM flat out beat the Innuous - it is way more money - prob close to double more but if it will flat out perform Innous then I am considering it.

I have the absolutely outstanding - not sure if anyone has used or heard one Terrarium Q Black Diamond USB Cable so nice to be able to use it if not i will sell it - I went on a search a few years ago when usb cables were all the rage and it beat out everything - everything and by a lot.

So will this be way better - if so what else do i need - NAS - Ethernet cable - new power supply for NAS - somthing other than NUC? I can't make my own. Love you help.

If Innous is 97% sound of this then I will just get that but if this is a flat out superior sounding system then I want to consider. If you know anther member that knows more about this will you copy and past and shoot this too them. I work 70 hours and have a little one on the way so time is tough but I am all about best sound. I am getting excited!!! 

I was first one to suggest the Zenith to you.

I also suggested you contact AUstin pop directly.

He is well respected here, and has extensive experience with SOTM and has also checked out the Rendu products with a few other people.  He switched from SOTM to the Zenith. 

Check with him directly about pros and cons of each and which he ultimately liked better and any other advice.

He won't steer you wrong.

10 hours ago, KingRex said:

I have not heard a Rendu, but know and trust people who have compared the two designs.  They prefer internal storage.

Please elaborate on this.

What specifically were they comparing and did they publish their comparisons on any forum?

I have a tendency to believe that higher SQ may be attainable by not using an enet->usb device, but haven't heard of anyone who has compared, so i am very interested.

On 1/24/2018 at 5:06 PM, One and a half said:

An update Jan 25. The M5 arrived, but it's staying in the box, going back to the vendor unopened. I was advised a procedure that I didn't feel comfortable with relating to the connection of the M5 on the Ethernet side.

In researching methods to make Ethernet quieter, the amount of effort to clamp the noise emitted from IT devices like routers. switches and cables is just as fraught with drama as is USB,  just ask any ham radio operator. Fixes include linear power supplies to the switches (which at CA we know of) and routers, ferrite cores on Ethernet cables and in some cases shielded Ethernet cabling. The problem of STP Ethernet, is rampant conduction of noise to an unwilling host.

Ethernet is good for IT, for audio? Even if the Ethernet cable is unplugged, it still plays from a buffer, together with the noise from the system intact. 

I'm out of Ethernet for audio.

Better the devil you know.

if you are "out" for ethernet, what are you "in" for?

5 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Roon does the conversion from (any) DSD to 176.4 PCM. Does a great job.

i have tried that route before (but with different hardware & software) and preferred native dsd over enet to same native dsd files converted to lower res pcm...anyway, thanks for sharing.

i do like spdif for pcm only files though!!

30 minutes ago, ALRAINBOW said:

I build servers for myself but consult others in there pro builds.  

May I ask what is better than win 2016 ,why 

and when did it become obsolete lol.  

Please don’t misteak me for a troll I am not answer honestly plesee 

win2016?

I was referring to this sites 2016 product of the year...the micro rendu.  author said he has it and looking to upgrade it.....i am just suggesting that things are moving relatively quickly now and that i suspect better things are around the corner....jmo

5 minutes ago, ALRAINBOW said:

See your point but if one makes a Linux product streamed from windows and claim it cleans all before it and it does not take it where it comes from

the Linux groupies want windows gone period

A custom built server is much better than any store bought sever like aurender but you cannot tell this to Some unless you put them

in your room And force them to hear it

I don't doubt a custom built pc "can" be designed to be as good or better than an off the shelf box, but audiophilia is a niche market to begin with.  The DIY are a small niche within that group...For those that are into it, great for them...I am sure the payoff also includes personal satisfaction.  Not sure where you are going with this though....unless you are suggesting the author of this post may want to build his own box.  It's not a path that i would be interested in, but he may...

15 minutes ago, ALRAINBOW said:

a Few misconceptions on drives and where they sound best. 

Internal drives sound best and is the standard to achieve in networking storage 

network storage can be achieved as very close if one takes care in keeping the network clean. 

Take a router and use a lps for it. 

Make your own network meaning it’s own address this keeps all the network traffic out of the music network.  

Next a netwrok switch just for the music devices alone. This means the dac pc and nas 

alone one other cable comes from the new router 

this new switch needs a lps. 

Next no laptop anything is great while they can be improved inherently they are setup for power saving and have features you don’t need or want. 

Buy an I7 6xxx K the K is a must 

use just 4 g ram buy Audio ram 

win 10 sucks compared to win 2012 or win 2016 the only way to make win 10 better is strip

it down but this is complex and better to use win server 2016 

2016 is best so far and for the Linux gang 

Linux is thin and lacks weight play a close up

piano it’s very obvious 

use a full size main board 

google mIn Boards that have win server drivers. 

Buy one that has two network land doijg so increases the chance of one working 

don’t cAre about video cards and a gamer board is better due to its beefy reg power for the cpu 

buy and hdplex 200 watt lps 

buy hdplex 400 dc to atx power modual 

hard drive a simple 120 gig sata drive is fine for OS online no music goes on this drive period 

use the 5 volt at the rear for the os drive power 

Ss drives need only 5 volts 

music drive or drives can be powered from

dc power at plug on dc atx board 

do not use the 5 volts on the main bOard 

use any case you wish and fans are fine but use a wall wort to power them this includes the cpu fan. It may need not 12 volts like the case fans 

be carful in doing this and it’s fine at first to use the Main board cpu fan power at first. 

don’t buy or try anything like

AO at first just use the windows and turn off all virus and fire wall. 

If your dac does not need 5 volts buy a power cutter and use it at the pc. 

Once your happy then go to AO and you will be happy 

use the usb it’s fine and don’t use the regens or rendu.  Not yet and a rendu is far better then a REGEN is.  

If you wish I can reccomend someone to build

it for you and they support it as well over the internet. 

Also bios settings are very very important for great digital sound. 

Now if others here feel I am wrong that’s fine 

but don’t tell me I am crazy as the amount that f bull given out is amazing as I build these I read and shake my head.  

Lastly the dac you have that you like should be left alone as this server will increase its sound many fold 

players to use. 

J river a good player has many features.  

Roon better and coupled with HQ player is a few levels better. Lastly don’t use roon gui on the pc playing your music to your dac 

don’t use roon gui on the pc streaming to

your dac pc Ina two pc setup

meaning room steamed to dac pc running hq player. This second pc can use a rendu or naa.  

Use room server on both pcs or one pc if both roon and hq player usesed

use a control pc or tablet to do all. 

Good luck 

i understand a dedicated network, but not sure why you need a router with its own lps.

why not just a switch with  music server...what do you need the internet router for if you are playing from local storage.

2 hours ago, ALRAINBOW said:

The reason for the router is to create a new network that’s isolated from the rest of your home. Also routers are bad to use in your music network they are busy and need to be a step away 

just keep it on it's own network completely separate than your home network....you don't need a router at all....just a switch and set your own static ip's.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 4:17 AM, fsmithjack said:

Hey Guys - Kamal at USA SOtM emailed me this morning. 

They just released their new SOtM external master clock. The first 50 orders get a free sPS-500 Power Supply for $3,500.

I was hoping this would be less than the Mutec REF 10 but I guess $3500 is where those close are today (expensive)

https://sotm-usa.com/products/sclk-ocx10-plus-free-sps-500-power-supply

UPDATE ON MY SYSTEM:

Ok so will know today exactly what I am doing. Of course I am going in a different direction than I was heading.

I am starting with Bricasti Ethernet Media Player. This is step one.

I may get there separate M5 Media Player so I can then add a SOtM txUSB after it to go with my Uptone LPS-1 Power Supply and my great Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB Cable.  

I think this combo has the potential to be amazing. My hope is that it is better than SOtM 200ultra or Ultra Rendu or Innous or Melco.

Brian at Bricasti makes smoking good digital products. I will be and use and then later on try the txUSB. Who knows maybe it is good enough to not need the txUSB.

Option 2.) Just have the Bricasti media player hard add installed in my M1SE DAC. Brian seems to think this is the most ideal setup because it removes the entire usb chain and goes direct. The thing is if you already have a Bricasti this is the way to go but because I already own all the great supporting usb gear I am tempted to try the M5.

I will let you know. 

i would go with sotm instead of m5....m5 doesn't support high res native dsd...must be an older product...

27 minutes ago, firedog said:

Not true. The present version of the m5 supports DSD 128

ok, this was confusing...

AES, standard SPDIF, RCA or optional 75 ohm BNC up to 192k PCM and DSD 64. DSD 128 over USB.

sounded like only over usb, not enet, but i see it doesn't even have a usb input..so i guess it is dsd128...still no dsd256 like sotm?