IGNORED

What do you use as a source for your main system?

What do you use as a source on your "main" system?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, plissken said:

I wouldn't consider the choices a source. Sources are CDP's, Computers, Turn Tables etc...

Personally, i would consider the source the music itself, but I couldn't think of a better word that would capture both renderer and dac....i thought about using interface or transport, but that didn't sound right either.  Anyway, thanks for voting.

I use Roon on a mini, streaming to a RoonReady dCS Rossini (+Rossini external clock).

I previously used a Sonore microRendu (+LPS1) which was in my opinion way better than any of the other USB streaming pathways from the mini (including both Uptone and W4S reclockers). The mini is on an Uptone JS-2 (+MMK board), btw. 

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

iTunes, iMac via WiFi to Apple TV3 > Cambridge Dac

JRiver Mediaplayer 23 on a MacBook Pro via WiFi to a Logitech Squeezebox Touch to a Yggy by way of a Toslink SPDIF. Sony SCD-XA777ES SACD player via coax to Yggy for RedBook CDs, and directly to amplifier for SACDs. I can go directly from MacBook Pro to DAC via USB for Internet radio, and in fact, used that connection last summer for the BBC PROMS, streamed in 16-bit, 48 KHz FLAC.   

George

2 hours ago, loop7 said:

I don't consider DACs source components but I am likely in the minority. 

Seems like an optical transport, computer, server, streamer, bridge, etc. are sources.

Ok, allow me to re-word...

Of the options provided, what components do you use the most often in your Main system.  Select USB DAC if you don't select one of the network, coax, or optical solution.  Use "other"  if you cannot apply any of the choices as to the component you use the MOST on your MAIN SYSTEM.

Usually

Tidal -> Internet -> FiOS -> Router ->Windows computer ->Wireless or Ethernet back to router -> Wireless to Airport Express -> Optical to DAC -> Analog to Integrated amp..............All at the speed of light :)

Or

NAS -> Ethernet to Router ->Windows computer ->Wireless or Ethernet back to router -> Wireless to Airport Express -> Optical to DAC -> Analog to Integrated amp

Sometimes

CD Player -> Analog to Integrated amp

2 minutes ago, grelcar said:

Usually

Tidal -> Internet -> FiOS -> Router ->Windows computer ->Wireless or Ethernet back to router -> Wireless to Airport Express -> Optical to DAC -> Analog to Integrated amp..............All at the speed of light :)

Sometimes

CD Player -> Analog to Integrated amp

wow, first post!  welcome aboard...

Sources for music and video files:

- rips, downloads from 54 TB Synology NAS

- PC optical drives for CD, DVD, BD, but not SACD

- TV from Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime Cablecard tuner via Ethernet

Library/Player/Renderer/Controller:

- Win 7 PC, I7 CPU, 16GB RAM, 2 TB system hard drive

- JRiver

- Dirac Live VST plugin

Digital Output:

- Audio USB to DAC, up to 7.1 channels

- Video HDMI from AMD R9270 GPU to TV/Monitor

Analog Audio Output:

- Exasound E28 DAC directly to amps, subwoofer via XLR interconnects

Note that there is no preamp/prepro, player or cable box in the system.