IGNORED

Network Streamers With I2S Output?

On 3/3/2018 at 2:01 PM, tapatrick said:

To confirm what Greg says here, I tried a WavIO USB to I2S converter with an Audio g-d HDMI I2S module into my PS Audio Junior DAC and the result was impressive. I've also been using Lucians new Bluwave USB to Spdif board into my DAC as well. This is also stunning due to the isolation and the quality of the oscillators on the Bluewave.

These 2 results set me on the path to find the best input and I'm working on a Sparky Roon streamer chain including Ian Canadas reclocker and isolators boards plus an Audio g-d HDMI module (to sidestep the usb to I2S stage). This is still in progress as I had some Linux programming to learn about plus glitches with my Audio g-d module and an LT3045 3.3v regulator. Its not been smooth but new items are in the post, so hopefully in a week or so I may be able to get this all working and powered with clean DC. Even though the PS Audio DACs use an internal master clock the quality of supplied input, especially if it has been isolated, clean powered and reclocked does matter.

Makes me also wonder what the result could be if the master clock (a crystek VXCO I believe) in the PS Audio was upgraded... hmm :)

You have to look at what the PS A DAC is going internally. My understanding is that it is reclocking all data so externally reclocking before it’s internal reclocking is redundant. The improvement you are hearing is likely from isolation. Externally, I would feed it with a clean source. Internally, you could look at updating the master clock. 

On 5/17/2018 at 7:08 AM, tapatrick said:

No...not the first. 

On 5/17/2018 at 8:48 AM, Solstice380 said:

Being limited to 192/24 will limit the interest.  Most likely it is well suited to the Metrum DACs. 

With 24/192 it could stream DSD64 via DoP, but not sure any DAC would support it that way. Support for native DSD is unlikely on a Raspberry Pi.

6 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Why not. Depends on the tweaker.. question is whether its worth it.

Can be done with and Audio-gd HDMI LVDS module or one of these...http://yanasoft.jp/yana/hdmi_i2s.html

You would need a proper LVDS i2s send board which requires a power supply, but it can be done. I would pass on the trouble and use USB. FYI I recall a post from Ted S. where he stated, that using CMOS level i2s might work into his DAC without first conversion to LVDS i2s. I would ask him before attempting it. 

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

..FYI I recall a post from Ted S. where he stated, that using CMOS level i2s might work into his DAC without first conversion to LVDS i2s. I would ask him before attempting it. 

Thats interesting info. Thanks, I may follow up on that as I was under the impression PS Audio DACs needed to follow their recommended format...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

You have to look at what the PS A DAC is going internally. My understanding is that it is reclocking all data so externally reclocking before it’s internal reclocking is redundant. The improvement you are hearing is likely from isolation. Externally, I would feed it with a clean source. Internally, you could look at updating the master clock. 

I don't have the skills nor desire to mess with my PS Audio Junior DAC interior, but I wonder who would be able to upgrade the internal clock, that is something I would be interested in...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

You would need a proper LVDS i2s send board which requires a power supply, but it can be done. I would pass on the trouble and use USB. FYI I recall a post from Ted S. where he stated, that using CMOS level i2s might work into his DAC without first conversion to LVDS i2s. I would ask him before attempting it. 

I have tried all the inputs including USB and found I2S through a Wavio board with HDMI LVDS module (with clean power all round) gave the best sound to me, so I'm trying to find the best I2S source...

55 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

I have tried all the inputs including USB and found I2S through a Wavio board with HDMI LVDS module (with clean power all round) gave the best sound to me, so I'm trying to find the best I2S source...

That’s what I meant...I consider that the source. 

3 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

Or to anyone with any sense.

?  There are many of us already doing I2S with PCM at rates well above 192k and at DSD bit rates (DSD64 through DSD512).  Moreover, Metrum deciding to use RJ45 as the I2S vehicle is a hurdle that removes quite a few dacs from the compatibility discussion...so not sure what you meant by "anyone with any sense".  But yes, for a Metrum companion, it makes sense.

On 20/05/2018 at 1:25 AM, ted_b said:

?  There are many of us already doing I2S with PCM at rates well above 192k and at DSD bit rates (DSD64 through DSD512).  Moreover, Metrum deciding to use RJ45 as the I2S vehicle is a hurdle that removes quite a few dacs from the compatibility discussion...so not sure what you meant by "anyone with any sense".  But yes, for a Metrum companion, it makes sense.

Apologies, should have phrased that differently. I just don't get the obsession with stupidly high sample rates and the bitching that ensues if 'Device X' doesn't support it. I listen to straight CD rips with no DSP. Amazing. No need for anything else; particularly given the huge variation in mastering. 

So I was having a grumble. People should listen more and obssess less.

On 5/19/2018 at 8:25 PM, ted_b said:

How would i2s be able to conduct 1 bit DSD stream ? Isn’t I2S, Multibit by designs ? If so, it is PCM and or DOP, and not Native DSd

• 7 months later...

I hope to soon be using what should by be the simplest solution and that is inputting an  Oppomod UDP-203 over ethernet and then outputting i2s over hdmi to the Holo Audio Spring-2 Dac.

I have just hooked up to Qoboz for the very first time from a Pixel 2 using BubbleUPnP with playback in 96/24 on an Oppo BDP 105D. Elsa Dreisig sounds pretty divine already, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Oppomod 203 i2s to Holo Audio Spring-2 compares.

\"Damn it Chris! I\'m a doctor, not an engineer!\"

• 6 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, tmitchmd said:

I hope to soon be using what should by be the simplest solution and that is inputting an  Oppomod UDP-203 over ethernet and then outputting i2s over hdmi to the Holo Audio Spring-2 Dac.

I have just hooked up to Qoboz for the very first time from a Pixel 2 using BubbleUPnP with playback in 96/24 on an Oppo BDP 105D. Elsa Dreisig sounds pretty divine already, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Oppomod 203 i2s to Holo Audio Spring-2 compares.

Been down this road with my Oppo 203 and can say it sounds terrific from i2s inito my Directstream Dac.
I posted a mod thread over on another forum HERE:

My Oppomod 203 progress thread

(MODS: Hope its ok to link this, could be good information to some, thanks)

Only snag with the Oppo is that you cant stream DSD from your Roon Library unless its from teh Oppo's USB port and your "limited" to 24/192.
Aside that...all good.

Sounds noticeably better btw with Oppo's "PureAudio" button activated, disabling all the video circuitry.

• 1 year later...