IGNORED

Curious USB Cable

I read it was pretty well regarded and bought one myself. Was pretty happy with it. 

That said I've replaced mine with the Lush cable from Phasure which is also quite popular on here. 

The Curious is more accurate. The Lush is just a bit more musical. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

See this thread for the Lush 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Have you read this https://audiobacon.net/2017/09/18/curious-cables-usb-review/

Also, when you dig further you'll find threads which are mostly glowing about it, but with the odd slating of it (not much really). Some of the chit chat does get a bit polluted by the odd person who's against the possibility of any usb cable being better and the odd compulsive advocate pops out too :)

I've been looking into getting one myself, I picked up a regen length but need a 0.8m too. At the price, it seems the Phasure Lush mentioned above is a good shout. When you look at spending even more (like double, but not necessarily for better results) the Audioquest Diamond USB gets mentioned, along with the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 which I get the impression is rated a bit more. Someone else has recommended me a Sablon Reserva Elite 1.2m at £555 saying it is fantastic compared to a Vovox Textura.

It's difficult to dig up much information from people who have actually tried a lot of cables at similar pricepoints, as for that you are usually listening to reviews or the rare people who have actually auditioned the contenders you are interested in.

My reading (of everything I can find) has left me thinking that without spending more, I will go for the Curious USB.

Yeah I read that review and several others which led to me buying the curious. It's a good cable and I think you'd be happy. 

Hopefully not breaking forum rules here but mine (80cm) is gathering dust and I'd be happy to do a reasonable price for an easy sale. PM me if either of you are interested. 

Apologies if that breaks forum rules and please delete this post if it does. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

• 2 months later...

I've sold recently my Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 and bought the Curious Cable. After reading the Audio Bacon's review and collect some opinions in this forum, there's no doubt about the excelent performance of this cable, specially considering its value. I think that to obtain a lot of more quality than Curious can offer, at least $1.500,00 need to be spent. It's what I expect for.

I'm very anxious to receive the cable.

I used the Curious for a while, then the Phasure Lush. The Lush initially sounded a bit closed in but after a fair run in and re-comparisons I used the Lush and couldn't go back to the Curious ...as you can see upthread I was trying to work out the best to buy, and ended up trying the Curious and the Lush and then a couple more.

In something like my SOtM trifecta, the Curious short link still makes sense though, feeding the tXUSBultra, particularly as it doesn't cost much being short, and as long as the 3 boxes are placed close together it is long enough to reach. The Lush out to the dac is better though (the cable in that setup which defines the sound much more).

That said, I compared also to a Vovox Textura USB which was was bottom of the lot for me then a Sablon Reserva Elite USB which was clearly the best of the lot. It had all the best qualities of the Curious and the Lush and I couldn't really fault it. I'll be buying one soon.

@toetapaudio on here sells the Sablon. It does cost more than twice the others, so it ought to sound better, but it does. It doesn't cost $1500 though. The Lush costs about the same and many people prefer it, it has a fuller sound and at first can sound less detailed to the Curious. But, when settled in and returning to the Curious, that whilst sounding more airy, sounds a bit brash and thin.

We put it in a high end system too (circa £60k) and it sounded just as I described. I think of the Curious as an initially impressive special effects unit, but where instruments lose a bit of weight and tone, and a touch brash.

In a dull system the Curious could liven it up though, and sometimes older ears like an injection of top end liveliness too, I think these are a couple of reasons why it is popular, that and that many people are moving to it for their first USB cable upgrade from cheap cables and it clearly will be better than them, hence the jubilation.

Finally, in a really good system, I have no doubt at all that it would be a weak link and compromise the sound.

I had gone through a number of highly rated USB cables before I settled on the Curious Cable as my reference with my Luxman DA-06 DAC. After reading comments about the Phasure Lush cable I bought one and found that I preferred it, replacing the Curious as my reference. However, not long ago I switched both my DAC and server, going to a T+A DAC8 DSD, upsampling all files to DSD512 with HQPlayer.

After listening for several weeks with the Lush, which I quite enjoyed, I decided to audition the Curious cable in the new setup. Somewhat to my surprise, I found that I preferred the Curious with this setup. It definitely is more resolving than the Lush in my system. By comparison, for want of  better terms, the Lush seems to "blend"or "smear" the sound somewhat - I notice greater separation of instruments and voices with the Curious. In vocal harmonies, for example, individual voices are more easily identified with the Curious. On songs like Because and Sun King from the Abbey Road album, The Beatles have never sounded better. I have only been listening with the Curious for a little over a week but, so far, I don;'t believe that I have encountered any negatives as compared to the Lush. In a couple of weeks, I will put the Lush cable back in the system to either confirm or question my current impressions.

The Curious and Phasure Lush are, IMO, the best sounding USB cables that I have had in my system.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I have a friend, here in Brazil, that has both, Sablon Reserva Elite USB and Curious Cable. A few time ago he told me that Sablon cable was better than Curious and, in fact, this is the current cable of his setup. However, this week he sent me a message and told that's not perfectly decided about these cables. Said that "every time I hear Curious Cable, I think it's unbeatable".

He asked me about 30 days to listen both and decide which is better. Now, reading about Phasure Lush, a new curiosity arose about it.

At the end, considering my current setup, I think any of them (Curious, Lush and Sablon) is more than enough. I bought Curious Cable last week, so, maybe it's better if I rest my head and just listen and enjoy.