IGNORED

Audiophilia Forever: An Expensive New Year’s Shopping Guide

6 minutes ago, Ajax said:

The Devialet and speakers cost about US$8k a few years ago (I bought them as demos at a Hi Fi show in Melbourne) and the subs and Mini another $1500. Say $10k all up and with a bit of effort you could pick it up now for around $8k used. My point is that you can have both convenience and excellent "Hi End" sound for a lot less than the numbers quoted in the article.

I appreciate that we all have our own idea of what represents good value, but when you consider equipment of this calibre can comfortably last 10 years, and is early upgradable with firmware, then compared to the cost other of hobbies, such as golf & snow skiing (which can cost $5k "every" year because of club memberships etc), and the fact that we / I listen to it every day, I actually think that today's high end audio is inexpensive.

If you buy quality gear together with a Tidal subscription, and amortise it over say a 10 year period then you can have an amazing selection of great sounding music at your fingertips for less than $1,000 per annum. You would actually pay less than that because you would likely sell it for say 30% of its initial value.

I'm totally with you on this. Expensive cars can only be driven so much, golfing only in the summer (here anyway), skiing only in the winter, etc... A great audio system can be heard 365 days per year, for several hours each day. Plus, there are no maintenance costs such as tires, new alternator (mine went out on Wednesday), and insurance. If I added up how much my father spends on a golf membership to a championship course here in MN, I bet he could've purchase one heck of an audio system. The six-figure initiation fee just to enter, the three-figure monthly minimum food expenditures, plus all the new golf clubs etc...

It sounds crazy, but perhaps our hobby is more reasonable that previously thought. To us anyway. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png