IGNORED

Inside High End Equipment

STC

20 minutes ago, mansr said:

Circular, not linear.

With Dimensions 4-11 used as filters...

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

17 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

wow - somebody carved the case out of billet - next up: forged cases

How about something like this?

Incidentally, the John Curl Blowtorch Preamp part 2 Thread in DIY Audio , now has almost 100,000 replies !!!

Click on the image twice for a much larger image.

John Curl's Blowtorch Preamplifier.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

More Pro Audio than High End, but a work of art nevertheless... IMHO:

PacificMicrosonics4.thumb.jpg.7a6535444952cd06378ef2d749013ef2.jpg

PacificMicrosonics1.thumb.jpg.d274794e8425dada0aff516b27f89857.jpg

PacificMicrosonics2.thumb.jpg.0ecfdc5d1dda54d91737dccde45e6013.jpg

Can't believe I let mine go :-(

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

Incidentally, the John Curl Blowtorch Preamp part 2 Thread in DIY Audio , now has almost 100,000 replies !!!

What DAC is this? 

Lovely design and "encapsulation" (isolation) !!!

Roch

2 minutes ago, elcorso said:

What DAC is this? 

Lovely designs and "encapsulation" !!!

Roch

It's the John Curl (Teresa's friend) Blowtorch Preamplifier.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

13 minutes ago, elcorso said:

Thanks, I confused the output transformers with some DAC chipsets...

Roch

Roch

I am confused now too.

It was supposed to be the Preamp. Whatever it is , it sure looks good though, but more like a DAC to me too.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=john+curl's+blowtorch+preamplifier+diy+audio&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFi8DIhffYAhVGw7wKHV-xAToQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=607

Being High End, gutb is sure to know ! :D

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/lumin/open1_big.jpg

YES, it is a Lumin DAC !

This has the [potential to be a really cool thread but without a description of brand & more importantly what type of gear it is, it's just a bunch of boards tubes caps transformers and wires.

Love the copper Marantz SACD(?) player.

Someone guessed Levinson for an Oppo player?

Must've been joking.

11 minutes ago, Milt99 said:

This has the [potential to be a really cool thread but without a description of brand & more importantly what type of gear it is, it's just a bunch of boards tubes caps transformers and wires.

Love the copper Marantz SACD(?) player.

Someone guessed Levinson for an Oppo player?

Must've been joking.

Then guess this one:

Guess.thumb.JPG.81854c8638f9bb0723269ea4f2d6e4e9.JPG

Roch

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

I can't believe that anybody is taken-in by things like this. All cases like this do is triple the price! You're not just paying for the aluminum that 's in the case, you're also paying for the aluminum that they machined away as well! This is what's wrong with the high-end. Useless bling that does nothing to improve SQ, It's just there to drive the prices up. I've often thought that equipment should be sold two ways, in sturdy, utilitarian enclosures (like the kind Schiit and Audio by Van Alistine uses) and if the buyer wants to pay for it, excesses such as the (admittedly beautiful) case machined from a single billet of aluminum as shown above. So many of the pleasurable things in life have been pushed out of the reach of the average hobbyist, things the average Joe Working Stiff used to be able to afford: Sports cars, private planes, nice cabin cruisers, sail boats, etc. Now the greedy among us want to push audio completely out of the reach of the average would-be audiophile as well. Then the pundits of this hobby lament in print about how we don't get many young people coming into audio! When I was a teen, One could buy a decent stereo amplifier as a kit under $40. Decent (for the times) speakers for about the same. An AR turntable was $70 and a decent magnetic cartridge from Shure, Pickering, or General Electric could be had for $10 and a stereo FM tuner could be bought from Eico, Dynaco, Heathkit, or Knight for $40! That system, by the standards of the day, provided damn good performance, and super value. Now, of course, if one had a little more money, but still reasonably priced,they could buy finished amps and tuners from H. H. Scott, Fisher, Marantz, Sherwood and McIntosh. A pair of Dynaco MKIII 60 Watt/channel power amps could be built, from kits for just a tad over  $100, a Dynaco Preamp, the PAS3X could be had for under $50. H. H. Scott sold kits, nice ones too; as did Harman Kardon, and the stuff was quality for the period. Even in the 70's every college kid was able to buy a decent receiver from Japanese companies such as Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic, Technics, Sansui and the like and a pair of OK speakers from AR, Infinity, or Dynaco to go with them as well as a sub-$100 direct-drive turntable to complete the system and the stuff sounded OK. But the point was that average people could afford it, and the kid who started modestly when young could buy better and better equipment and still not be priced out of the market! Bah!, these price trends make me sick and it's bling like the case shown above that makes equipment so expensive, and causes your average young music lovers to stick with their iPhones and earbuds while making fun of our audio hobby! Can't say I blame them much!

Sorry about the rant!

George

30 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Sorry about the rant!

And if it was an expensive car , you wouldn't be buying the likes of Eico, Dynaco, Heathkit, or Knight,

would you ?

" I've often thought that equipment should be sold two ways, in sturdy, utilitarian enclosures"

Yeah ! Bring back the likes of WW2 SURPLUS electronic gear ! :P

5 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Useless bling that does nothing to improve SQ, It's just there to drive the prices up.

I don’t see anything wrong with their approach. Some audiophile prefer these kind of designs for better vibration control. 

Audiophile is is a very small community.  It is a hobby of obsession of equipment and solving the puzzle the hard way. 

There is is a demand for it. Just like some people who prefer to $10 for a cup of coffee that can be bought for $1. It is Not the coffee that matters to them. Same thing with audiophiles,  it is not the music but the obsession of the way they reached there. 

5 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I can't believe that anybody is taken-in by things like this. All cases like this do is triple the price!

What about ventilation, isn't it an important requirement to ensure stable performance and longevity of components?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

A stereo microphone preamplifier with a single power transformer, yet with *unmeasurable* crosstalk: < -140dB at 200kHz. Try to match that.

Mod5 int2 (1).jpg

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.