• Topic Moderators

STC

Inside High End Equipment

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

Actually, Crown shows nothing. 

Atleast they are not hesitating to show the internal mechanism because the innovation is genuine and patented. 

The amps I REALLY want to build from this thread on DIYAudio:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/232484-midlife-crisis-833c-amp-build.html

Magz (Maxamillion on Audio Asylum) IS MY HERO!

833C single-ended, about 100 WPC, nearly 3000V B+, using Monolith Magnetics output transformers costing about 2000 Euro each. He said the build for a pair was about a $10,000 including a couple of PS Audio P5 regenerators besides acting as pre-regulators, also provide a very constant AC input to the amps.

I realized that building them would consume my life for a year or two. And if I slipped with that B+, it would kill me so fast I wouldn't even know I died. And with my old bad back, I couldn't even move them around, much less lift them.

So I bought a couple of PS Audio BHK-250s at the Black Friday Sale price for an almost $2,000 savings!

Still, I am drawn to them like a moth to a flame... someday!!!

833 Amp with Speakers.jpg

Completed 833 Amp Inside View.jpg

833 Amp Left with Trans Cover.jpg

833 Amp with Cyl Cover.jpg

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

3 minutes ago, STC said:

@gstew  nice setup. 

LOL... Magz's setup actually. Mine is not nearly as pretty. My DIY builds would never win any beauty contests. 

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

On 11/01/2018 at 1:53 PM, PeterSt said:

So if I call in a contractor to work on my software (bug finding), do you think it is OK if he publishes the source code ?

The schematic is the source code, a pic of a PCB is not enough to reverse engineer from. Lots of manufacturers post pics of the insides and PCBs these days.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

Why not just use a PCB?

Would be better, but its not the true way, P to P is far better for interference and EMC problems... Hand wired in total darkness by dedicated masters of the soldering iron...

1 hour ago, mordante said:

The inside of my dream power amp.

rg7_mk4.jpg

Can't guess who's this amp is so I'll Pass on this one...

Just now, marce said:

Can't guess who's this amp is so I'll Pass on this one...

Symphonic Line RG7mk4

[br]

23 minutes ago, marce said:

Would be better, but its not the true way, P to P is far better for interference and EMC problems...

I'm aware of extreme applications where a PCB won't do, but audio is not among them.

23 minutes ago, marce said:

Hand wired in total darkness by dedicated masters of the soldering iron...

Japanese virgins, presumably.

No an ancient old master has to solder the wires, virgins roll capacitors...

Yeah there are the odd occasions where a PCB wont do, getting fewer each year though, with new materials and in  y case the thickness copper I have used is 7 ounce.. double sided, most for a multi-layer was 6 ounce copper, 6 layer for a 14kW SMPS....

3 hours ago, marce said:

The Yamamoto stuff is art...

No its a mess.

While I don't think that 'mess' is the word that I would use, it's defiantly poor engineering.

Large caps supported only by their leads, high voltage smoothing caps with resistors almost touching them, if the power leads were twisted together to give a little homage to EMC etc. then I may be more impressed... I dare not ask how much it is.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

aassc.jpg

New audiophile linear power supply perhaps:D allows only the best sounding electrons through.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

aassc.jpg

Finally a DAC that can create the conditions of the Original Experience...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System