IGNORED

Inside High End Equipment

STC

2 minutes ago, STC said:

Look carefully and you see the traces of the old module. Same DAC one is DIP and another is SOIC. One is small, one is large. In the the left channel was soldered to the bottom of the PCB. The DIP was soldered next to each other because it couldn’t fit in. in this case, it was replacing the faulty DAC with DIP module. 

Why not use a SOIC replacement?

5 minutes ago, STC said:

Ask them why one is failing more often than the another. 

It could be interesting to compare the surface temperature of both packages.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

21 minutes ago, STC said:

That was brilliant. You are right about overheating. Not sure if that was the module's fault or design's fault. DIP was the older design though. 

The larger DIP packages would have longer traces to the pins, as well the I.C.  pins themselves being much larger and perhaps reducing the internal heating slightly.

With the LM4562 series for example, the designers reported hearing an improvement with the HA (metal can) version, despite their A.P. Test equipment not revealing any differences in measurements.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

The larger DIP packages would have longer traces to the pins, as well the I.C.  pins themselves being much larger and perhaps reducing the internal heating slightly.

With the LM4562 series for example, the designers reported hearing an improvement with the HA (metal can) version, despite their A.P. Test equipment not revealing any differences in measurements.

I told my friend to take the temperature. But he thinks the problem is related to something else which is too complicated for me to understand. 

Acoustic Transmission  measurements at ears should reveal them them. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/11/2018 at 8:53 AM, PeterSt said:

So if I call in a contractor to work on my software (bug finding), do you think it is OK if he publishes the source code ?

LOL!  Photos of electronic internals compared to source code?  REALLY?!?

There are no secrets with electronic parts, just the ability for the end user to see where the manufacturer cut corners and used low grade components.

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers