IGNORED

Inside High End Equipment

STC

On 10/21/2019 at 3:37 PM, STC said:

Local scientist modification to CD player. Anyone want to guess why?  

@fas42 you go first. 

C8055365-930F-4728-A8FB-FC8F5730522C.thumb.jpeg.1003d466afeae04e71abe096b7c46d5f.jpeg

This was a poor attempt to copy what Krell used to do with their CD players. They used green led to absorb the stray laser light. Perhaps someone got the idea from there to come up with the green pen marker. 

Knowledge shared by my techie friend. 

26 minutes ago, STC said:

This was a poor attempt to copy what Krell used to do with their CD players. They used green led to absorb the stray laser light. Perhaps someone got the idea from there to come up with the green pen marker. 

Knowledge shared by my techie friend. 

Well that failed too, because later on they found that the application of the green pen actually resulted in increased Jitter, which many seem to like as it can sometimes sound a bit like added HF detail

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

40 minutes ago, STC said:

Just like how the green pen did?  Still dont’t understand why green. And one used blue. CD laser is red.  And they make these for believers. Faith cannot be questioned. 

Neither makes sense, but the LED makes even less sense. The green pen treatment was intended to stop scattered reflections of laser light escaping through the disc edge. If this really was a problem, at least treating it at the supposed source had some merit.

Now how is an LED supposed to help with scattered light? Are they hoping the green case will absorb light of other wavelengths? Supposing it does, it's still not going to make any worthwhile difference. If you paint a square inch on a wall black, does the room get darker overall? Do they somehow believe that the green light will "neutralise" the red light from laser? Confused, perhaps, by some high-school chemistry experiment involving acids, bases, and a pH indicator?

If stray light were a concern, painting the interior in Vantablack would fix it.

10 hours ago, STC said:

Just like how the green pen did?  Still dont’t understand why green. And one used blue. CD laser is red.  And they make these for believers. Faith cannot be questioned. 

Incidentally, LEDs can not absorb light, but they can detect light like a photodiode, and also output a DC voltage as a response to light.

You could even  use a string of them in parallel and series to create a low power Solar Cell.

https://www.techulator.com/resources/10515-LED-solar-cell-its-working.aspx

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

On 10/24/2019 at 5:26 AM, sandyk said:

Incidentally, LEDs can not absorb light, but they can detect light like a photodiode, and also output a DC voltage as a response to light.

You could even  use a string of them in parallel and series to create a low power Solar Cell.

https://www.techulator.com/resources/10515-LED-solar-cell-its-working.aspx

These LEDs not connected to anything. They just lit up next to the laser shining the transport mechanism. I am only guessing that the green light mixes with stray red somehow makes them not to have any influence in the data picked up by the laser unit from the CD itself.  

Hopefully, another unit will come soon and I will do blind tests with the LEF on and Off. 

9 hours ago, STC said:

These LEDs not connected to anything. They just lit up next to the laser shining the transport mechanism. I am only guessing that the green light mixes with stray red somehow makes them not to have any influence in the data picked up by the laser unit from the CD itself.

That isn't how light works. As for CD pickups in general, the photodetector is likely most sensitivite around the wavelength of the laser and relative insensitive to green light. Moreover, due to the construction of the optics, only light from a small angle reaches the detector in the first place.

Photodetectors are usually not keyed to specific wavelengths, they can pick up any wavelength. It is more to do with the small angle as you said, mansr.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 minute ago, botrytis said:

Photodetectors are usually not keyed to specific wavelengths, they can pick up any wavelength. It is more to do with the small angle as you said, mansr.

The datasheets say otherwise. Here's the sensitivity of a random photodiode from Vishay:

image.png.a7140dc58df2571c609c259ec9920197.png

A CD laser has a wavelength of 780 nm, close to the sensitivity peak of this photodiode. For green light of 550 nm, it is only half as sensitive. Contrast that with this one:

image.png.78771ed573c3e092151759969a7e3a24.png

On 10/23/2019 at 1:13 AM, sandyk said:

Well that failed too, because later on they found that the application of the green pen actually resulted in increased Jitter, which many seem to like as it can sometimes sound a bit like added HF detail

If i recall correctly, it was Keith Johnson who discovered this effect.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

21 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Nerds 😁

What kind of nerds?, electronic nerds, physic nerds, “scientist” nerds, audio nerds, audiophile nerds, OCD nerds, audio forum nerds, not really audiophile nerds but have nothing better to do.

All kinds of nerds here. 😇

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

2 hours ago, Allan F said:

If i recall correctly, it was Keith Johnson who discovered this effect.

Hi Allan

You have a pretty good memory .:)

Kind regards

Alex

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/27888-painting-the-edge-of-a-cd-green/page/2/

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Hi Allan

You have a pretty good memory .:)

Kind regards

Alex

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/27888-painting-the-edge-of-a-cd-green/page/2/

Long term only, Alex. My short term memory sucks! :)

Regards,

Allan

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

40 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Long term only, Alex. My short term memory sucks! :)

Regards,

Allan

Hi Allan

That's par for the course as you age. I have found recently that I have occasional trouble recalling the names of actresses and actors from recent times, but sometimes the next time I see them, their name pops into my head without consciously thinking about it.

I will send you a copy of a reassuring email.

Kind Regards

Alex

Image result for nerds candy images

There ya go......

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects