IGNORED

Inside High End Equipment

STC

4 hours ago, PeterSt said:

This is not really about pictures which can be taken from the top with the lid off, but about parts which are normally not accessible to you and me. Say the under side of a PCB, unveiling secrets, after a day of work to tear it apart for repair.

So do you think the teardown pictures of Apple products published by iFixit are inappropriate?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

7 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

So if I call in a contractor to work on my software (bug finding), do you think it is OK if he publishes the source code ?

Of course not, but in that case you are explicitly giving your contractor access to something confidential (source code) in order to perform a service for you.  It's not the same as tearing down a product to look at its parts.

I was just pointing out that iFixit publishes a teardown and repair guides on brand new Apple devices.  I don't see a problem with that.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

I used to work for a major manufacturer of IT gear.  It was common practice to teardown competitive products and video every single step of the process.