IGNORED

Inside High End Equipment

STC

I am starting this thread to share pictures of high end equipment.. My friend who specializes repairing high end equipment regularly send me the pictures of all his work and often discuss the parts and quality of workmanship in them. There must be thousands of pictures that he shared with me. Instead of deleting them I thought I could archieve it here so that others could catch a glimpse of what's inside.

Today I received Swiss made hi end Nagra PL-P preamp which was restored to the original specs replacing the baattery power supply modification . I also have videos of them playing but due to copyright issues with the songs and poor audio I am refraining from posting them here. If you are interested please PM ASAP before I delete them.

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.29.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.29 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.30 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.30 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.30.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.31.jpeg

I think it is seriously inappropriate to share pictures made by such a repair shop. Of course this starts with the repair shop doing this itself.

This is not really about pictures which can be taken from the top with the lid off, but about parts which are normally not accessible to you and me. Say the under side of a PCB, unveiling secrets, after a day of work to tear it apart for repair.

This is just my opinion as a manufacturer. What you do is up to you. 9_9

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

2 hours ago, STC said:

I am starting this thread to share pictures of high end equipment.. My friend who specializes repairing high end equipment regularly send me the pictures of all his work and often discuss the parts and quality of workmanship in them. There must be thousands of pictures that he shared with me. Instead of deleting them I thought I could archieve it here so that others could catch a glimpse of what's inside.

Today I received Swiss made hi end Nagra PL-P preamp which was restored to the original specs replacing the baattery power supply modification . I also have videos of them playing but due to copyright issues with the songs and poor audio I am refraining from posting them here. If you are interested please PM ASAP before I delete them.

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.29.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.29 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.30 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.30 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.30.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.31.jpeg

In the 3rd and 4th photos from the top, the electrolytic capacitors are too close to the valves and will have a reduced service life due to the heat.

I base this on extensive feedback in a U.K. forum devoted mainly to Musical Fidelity valve products

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 minutes ago, sandyk said:

In the 2nd and 3rd photos from the top, the electrolytic capacitors are too close to the valves and will have a reduced service lie due to the heat.

Unless there's enough meat in the caps to last years, unless that is.

That's one reason not choosing tube gear, the heat build up affects not only caps, but insulation materials, those 1950's jobs don't have the insulation of today with Teflon for example. Heat will break down and crumble early bakelite stuff. The low voltage (up to 1500V DC) just adds to the mix. If you like the tube sound, fine, but consider the downsides.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

9 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Unless there's enough meat in the caps to last years, unless that is.

That's one reason not choosing tube gear, the heat build up affects not only caps, but insulation materials, those 1950's jobs don't have the insulation of today with Teflon for example. Heat will break down and crumble early bakelite stuff. The low voltage (up to 1500V DC) just adds to the mix. If you like the tube sound, fine, but consider the downsides.

Garry

I have seen numerous photos of charred PCBs around the valve sockets of M.F. valve headphone amplifiers, and the work needed to repair that area, as well as replacing the failing electros with higher temperature types. and relocating hot wire wound resistors.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 hours ago, PeterSt said:

This is not really about pictures which can be taken from the top with the lid off, but about parts which are normally not accessible to you and me. Say the under side of a PCB, unveiling secrets, after a day of work to tear it apart for repair.

So do you think the teardown pictures of Apple products published by iFixit are inappropriate?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

26 minutes ago, rickca said:

So do you think the teardown pictures of Apple products published by iFixit are inappropriate?

So if I call in a contractor to work on my software (bug finding), do you think it is OK if he publishes the source code ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

7 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

So if I call in a contractor to work on my software (bug finding), do you think it is OK if he publishes the source code ?

Of course not, but in that case you are explicitly giving your contractor access to something confidential (source code) in order to perform a service for you.  It's not the same as tearing down a product to look at its parts.

I was just pointing out that iFixit publishes a teardown and repair guides on brand new Apple devices.  I don't see a problem with that.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

6 hours ago, PeterSt said:

I think it is seriously inappropriate to share pictures made by such a repair shop. Of course this starts with the repair shop doing this itself.

This is just my opinion as a manufacturer. What you do is up to you. 9_9

You're joking, right?

There's not an electronic item in my house where it's parts aren't accessible to me. 

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

You better get all the repair videos of:

Phones,

Electronics,

Cars,

Vacuum Cleaners,

Washer/Dryers,

Power tools,

reported at YT. 

I used to work for a major manufacturer of IT gear.  It was common practice to teardown competitive products and video every single step of the process.  

15 minutes ago, plissken said:

You're joking, right?

There's not an electronic item in my house where it's parts aren't accessible to me. 

And all those items belong to you. You can do what you like with them, outside of copyright/patent infringement or using them to commit crimes etc. The manufacturer has released them into the "public domain" by selling them and has no call on them whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

Not the same thing by a long shot.  Publishing schematics would be different as it would involve copyright as would source code.  

A while ago, some guy reverse engineered the Coincident Technology M300B Frankenstein MK II monoblock amp and published the schematic on SET Asylum:

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/7/edit/7527820140325143853.html

He claimed that since the manufacturer never showed a schematic for the amp, he was the sole creator of the diagram. And as such, he is the actual copyright owner of the published diagram.

The strange things happening on the net these days... But if we follow through with this logic, I don't understand why the guy didn't sue the manufacturer for violating *his* copyrights x-D

Ok, inside photos of older gear:

Esoteric P2 CD transport

200912111548.jpg

200912111542.jpg

The above are from an old CD transport tear-down article at lapizator.eu. The thing is literally built like a tank. I have the successor model P2S and inspected the inside when I first got it. The photos in the article, while impressive, doesn't quite show how awesomely hefty the real thing is.

Yamamoto A-09S

2_open_big.jpg

Single-ended stereo amp with 8W per channel. Photo above from review article at 6moons.com. Neat point-to-point wiring totally by hand. High quality components throughout, down to the inhouse wound transformers/choke and tube sockets manufactured inhouse. I used to have the predecessor model A-09. The inside has this Zen-like serenity to it :)

4 hours ago, accwai said:

A while ago, some guy reverse engineered the Coincident Technology M300B Frankenstein MK II monoblock amp and published the schematic on SET Asylum:

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/7/edit/7527820140325143853.html

He claimed that since the manufacturer never showed a schematic for the amp, he was the sole creator of the diagram. And as such, he is the actual copyright owner of the published diagram.

The strange things happening on the net these days... But if we follow through with this logic, I don't understand why the guy didn't sue the manufacturer for violating *his* copyrights x-D

There have been numerous instances of one manufacturer copying another's design when the later was not patented, recall B & K.  Whether the person who produced a schematic actually owned the copyright is doubtful because a schematic already existed in the hands of Coincident.

A controversy exists as to whether a photograph of a 3 dimensional object comes under fair use or not.  Photographs of the Eiffel tower taken at night are said to violate the copyright of the one who designed the lighting.  It's the same situation regarding the Seattle Space Needle unless the tower is just part of the skyline.

If "part of the skyline" is the correct approach, then there might be a copyright issue with close ups of this gear.

Disclaimer:  This is not legal advice, if that is what you want, go find a lawyer.