Jump to content
  • Topic Moderators

STC

Inside High End Equipment

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I am starting this thread to share pictures of high end equipment.. My friend who specializes repairing high end equipment regularly send me the pictures of all his work and often discuss the parts and quality of workmanship in them. There must be thousands of pictures that he shared with me. Instead of deleting them I thought I could archieve it here so that others could catch a glimpse of what's inside.

 

Today I received Swiss made hi end Nagra PL-P preamp which was restored to the original specs replacing the baattery power supply modification . I also have videos of them playing but due to copyright issues with the songs and poor audio I am refraining from posting them here. If you are interested please PM ASAP before I delete them.

 

 

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.29.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.29 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.30 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.30 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.30.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.31.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is seriously inappropriate to share pictures made by such a repair shop. Of course this starts with the repair shop doing this itself.

This is not really about pictures which can be taken from the top with the lid off, but about parts which are normally not accessible to you and me. Say the under side of a PCB, unveiling secrets, after a day of work to tear it apart for repair.

 

This is just my opinion as a manufacturer. What you do is up to you. 9_9


Lush^2      Blaxius^2      Ethernet^2     HDMI^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, STC said:

I am starting this thread to share pictures of high end equipment.. My friend who specializes repairing high end equipment regularly send me the pictures of all his work and often discuss the parts and quality of workmanship in them. There must be thousands of pictures that he shared with me. Instead of deleting them I thought I could archieve it here so that others could catch a glimpse of what's inside.

 

Today I received Swiss made hi end Nagra PL-P preamp which was restored to the original specs replacing the baattery power supply modification . I also have videos of them playing but due to copyright issues with the songs and poor audio I am refraining from posting them here. If you are interested please PM ASAP before I delete them.

 

 

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.29.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.29 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.30 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.30 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.30.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 14.31.31.jpeg

 

In the 3rd and 4th photos from the top, the electrolytic capacitors are too close to the valves and will have a reduced service life due to the heat.

I base this on extensive feedback in a U.K. forum devoted mainly to Musical Fidelity valve products

Edited by sandyk

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

 

PROFILE UPDATED 18-06-2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sandyk said:

 

In the 2nd and 3rd photos from the top, the electrolytic capacitors are too close to the valves and will have a reduced service lie due to the heat.

Unless there's enough meat in the caps to last years, unless that is.

 

That's one reason not choosing tube gear, the heat build up affects not only caps, but insulation materials, those 1950's jobs don't have the insulation of today with Teflon for example. Heat will break down and crumble early bakelite stuff. The low voltage (up to 1500V DC) just adds to the mix. If you like the tube sound, fine, but consider the downsides.


AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Unless there's enough meat in the caps to last years, unless that is.

 

That's one reason not choosing tube gear, the heat build up affects not only caps, but insulation materials, those 1950's jobs don't have the insulation of today with Teflon for example. Heat will break down and crumble early bakelite stuff. The low voltage (up to 1500V DC) just adds to the mix. If you like the tube sound, fine, but consider the downsides.

 Garry

I have seen numerous photos of charred PCBs around the valve sockets of M.F. valve headphone amplifiers, and the work needed to repair that area, as well as replacing the failing electros with higher temperature types. and relocating hot wire wound resistors.

 

Alex


How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

 

PROFILE UPDATED 18-06-2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PeterSt said:

This is not really about pictures which can be taken from the top with the lid off, but about parts which are normally not accessible to you and me. Say the under side of a PCB, unveiling secrets, after a day of work to tear it apart for repair.

So do you think the teardown pictures of Apple products published by iFixit are inappropriate?


NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

 

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, rickca said:

So do you think the teardown pictures of Apple products published by iFixit are inappropriate?

 

So if I call in a contractor to work on my software (bug finding), do you think it is OK if he publishes the source code ?


Lush^2      Blaxius^2      Ethernet^2     HDMI^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

 

So if I call in a contractor to work on my software (bug finding), do you think it is OK if he publishes the source code ?

Of course not, but in that case you are explicitly giving your contractor access to something confidential (source code) in order to perform a service for you.  It's not the same as tearing down a product to look at its parts.

 

I was just pointing out that iFixit publishes a teardown and repair guides on brand new Apple devices.  I don't see a problem with that.


NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

 

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

 

So if I call in a contractor to work on my software (bug finding), do you think it is OK if he publishes the source code ?

Not the same thing by a long shot.  Publishing schematics would be different as it would involve copyright as would source code.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PeterSt said:

I think it is seriously inappropriate to share pictures made by such a repair shop. Of course this starts with the repair shop doing this itself.

This is not really about pictures which can be taken from the top with the lid off, but about parts which are normally not accessible to you and me. Say the under side of a PCB, unveiling secrets, after a day of work to tear it apart for repair.

 

This is just my opinion as a manufacturer. What you do is up to you. 9_9

 

You're joking, right?

 

There's not an electronic item in my house where it's parts aren't accessible to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

 

So if I call in a contractor to work on my software (bug finding), do you think it is OK if he publishes the source code ?

 

You better get all the repair videos of:

 

Phones,

Electronics,

Cars,

Vacuum Cleaners,

Washer/Dryers,

Power tools,

 

reported at YT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to work for a major manufacturer of IT gear.  It was common practice to teardown competitive products and video every single step of the process.  


NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

 

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, plissken said:

 

You're joking, right?

 

There's not an electronic item in my house where it's parts aren't accessible to me. 

 

And all those items belong to you. You can do what you like with them, outside of copyright/patent infringement or using them to commit crimes etc. The manufacturer has released them into the "public domain" by selling them and has no call on them whatsoever.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

Not the same thing by a long shot.  Publishing schematics would be different as it would involve copyright as would source code.  

 

A while ago, some guy reverse engineered the Coincident Technology M300B Frankenstein MK II monoblock amp and published the schematic on SET Asylum:

 

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/7/edit/7527820140325143853.html

 

He claimed that since the manufacturer never showed a schematic for the amp, he was the sole creator of the diagram. And as such, he is the actual copyright owner of the published diagram.

 

The strange things happening on the net these days... But if we follow through with this logic, I don't understand why the guy didn't sue the manufacturer for violating *his* copyrights x-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, inside photos of older gear:

 

Esoteric P2 CD transport

 

200912111548.jpg

 

200912111542.jpg

 

The above are from an old CD transport tear-down article at lapizator.eu. The thing is literally built like a tank. I have the successor model P2S and inspected the inside when I first got it. The photos in the article, while impressive, doesn't quite show how awesomely hefty the real thing is.

 

Yamamoto A-09S

 

2_open_big.jpg

 

Single-ended stereo amp with 8W per channel. Photo above from review article at 6moons.com. Neat point-to-point wiring totally by hand. High quality components throughout, down to the inhouse wound transformers/choke and tube sockets manufactured inhouse. I used to have the predecessor model A-09. The inside has this Zen-like serenity to it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, accwai said:

 

A while ago, some guy reverse engineered the Coincident Technology M300B Frankenstein MK II monoblock amp and published the schematic on SET Asylum:

 

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/7/edit/7527820140325143853.html

 

He claimed that since the manufacturer never showed a schematic for the amp, he was the sole creator of the diagram. And as such, he is the actual copyright owner of the published diagram.

 

The strange things happening on the net these days... But if we follow through with this logic, I don't understand why the guy didn't sue the manufacturer for violating *his* copyrights x-D

 

There have been numerous instances of one manufacturer copying another's design when the later was not patented, recall B & K.  Whether the person who produced a schematic actually owned the copyright is doubtful because a schematic already existed in the hands of Coincident.

 

A controversy exists as to whether a photograph of a 3 dimensional object comes under fair use or not.  Photographs of the Eiffel tower taken at night are said to violate the copyright of the one who designed the lighting.  It's the same situation regarding the Seattle Space Needle unless the tower is just part of the skyline.

 

If "part of the skyline" is the correct approach, then there might be a copyright issue with close ups of this gear.

 

Disclaimer:  This is not legal advice, if that is what you want, go find a lawyer.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...