IGNORED

Separating components for air space

bobfa

I only mentioned rubber as a material to avoid as it physically causes issues over time.  I was intentionally trying to avoid the discussion of whether this material vs. that sounds different in order to avoid detracting from the thread for the original poster.  

The myrtle wood and Delrin are our favorites if we wanted to go down the "what material sounds best to you" path.  In our experience, the units tend to sound like what you put them on.  So a softer material tends to sound spongy, while a very hard material like steel sounds fairly harsh with our equipment.  The harder woods are where things settle in nicely to us, and Delrin is the best plastic that we could find without spending entirely too much time trying thousands of different polymers.  We used rubber over 20 years ago before we explored other options.  

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

7 hours ago, GUTB said:

Mapleshade claims they invented these things and warns against knock-offs.

Maplesahde as a company is reputable. Their brass footers do work -- eliminated footfall noise from my turntable (although the spring feet it comes with are more effective overall in terms of sonics) and helped a 845 SET a lot. They claim that their air-dried maple shelves work better that kiln-dried butcher blocks -- I don't know because I could never bring myself to spend $200+ on a block of maple when you can buy large heavy maple butcher blocks for less than $100.

Maple audio stands are quite attractive though. Mapleshade and Timbernation put out very nice-looking furniture.  They just want too much for it though.

I use Mapleshades brass weights and have bought some maple stands and music from them but they definitely did not invent those footers. They did perhaps first re-purpose them for audio. I might be splitting hairs here...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I think a cheap way to test would be to order a maple cutting board and dense plastic one - try one vs. the other.  Loser gets used as a ... cutting board.  Or both do.

In keeping with the Audio Ayatollah's "Fatwa Against Science" please avoid any double blind testing or other things that have created our modern civilzation

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 4:52 PM, wwaldmanfan said:

I ordered a box of these to put the DAC+, the Mac mini, and the Brooklyn Amp on.  The Mac really slides around a lot they should help with that.  I also have weight to put on top of the Mac as it is so light.   I am not hoping for sonic benefit at this time only physical stability.  

On 1/12/2018 at 3:50 PM, davide256 said:

BTW, this is very affordable and reasonably rigid/ well made for an inexpensive 4 shelf audio rack. Hopefully the number of shelves and shelf dimensions meet your needs

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGVULRK

Thanks for the info on that rack.  I am working with the local zoning officer for the Living Room (my wife) to ensure whatever I place in the room will pass inspection!  It will have to keep things under cover a bit more than an open rack.