IGNORED

Separating components for air space

bobfa

1 hour ago, mourip said:

I use these also. Tons on eBay.

Actually I take it back. Mine use cork like the ones from Mapleshade. They are principally used for industrial equipment vibration isolation but work well for us.

You could stack and glue them to get the same as Mapleshade. Search for "cork isolation footer". They are very cheap on eBay. You can get 12 for $11.

I often use them along with some Mapleshade brass weights put on top of my DAC or preamp. I have real hockey pucks also but they are quite hard so I do not believe they are as good for absorbing vibration.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

7 hours ago, Ryan Berry said:

The main suggestion I'd make is to avoid anything fully rubber.  We used to use rubber feet in the early years of Ayre and to this day get units back that have flattened over the years of continued heat and weight.  I'm not sure what the hockey pucks would do over time, but you may have dinner plates in 5 or 6 years!

Welcome Ryan. Nice to hear from someone with industry experience.

I have used the rubber a cork feet for several years and they hold up well.

System

On 1/10/2018 at 11:34 PM, Speedskater said:

The vibration properties of those rectangle blocks only when the weight on each block is in the block's design range.

Most vibration devices that are sold usually give at least a maximum weight limit. Some are sold in multiple sizes to account for that.

System

15 hours ago, Milt99 said:

Yup. Mostly used underneath house furnaces.

But remember, MapleShade sprinkles their maple syrup majik goo and then cryos them to get the molecules in harmonic synch and that ain't cheap!

It is the "maple syrup majik goo and then cryos them to get the molecules in harmonic synch" that is the value added component that allows them to charge $24 insted of $8 for basically 8 glued up furnace footers. 

Actually these are the least suspect devices that they sell and they do seem to work. IMO.

System

7 hours ago, GUTB said:

Mapleshade claims they invented these things and warns against knock-offs.

Maplesahde as a company is reputable. Their brass footers do work -- eliminated footfall noise from my turntable (although the spring feet it comes with are more effective overall in terms of sonics) and helped a 845 SET a lot. They claim that their air-dried maple shelves work better that kiln-dried butcher blocks -- I don't know because I could never bring myself to spend $200+ on a block of maple when you can buy large heavy maple butcher blocks for less than $100.

Maple audio stands are quite attractive though. Mapleshade and Timbernation put out very nice-looking furniture.  They just want too much for it though.

I use Mapleshades brass weights and have bought some maple stands and music from them but they definitely did not invent those footers. They did perhaps first re-purpose them for audio. I might be splitting hairs here...

System