IGNORED

Separating components for air space

bobfa

On 1/10/2018 at 8:34 PM, GUTB said:

Mapleshade Isoblocks are more effective, give more clearance...but also more expensive.

isoblocks_1_med.jpg

Note: Each one has two sandwiches stuck together -- there's four individual blocks in this picture. I use these for my own speakers:

IMG_0407.thumb.JPG.73980d2cd72979725581ba9418c07df2.JPG

IMG_0408.thumb.JPG.fc8eb01c58c5a4d8e12ea2aadc19be0c.JPG

Low bass reproduction can physically vibrate/move a speaker, compromising the clarity of the bass and midrange. Your speakers should have as little freedom to move as possible. Isoblocks are basically filters for low bass frequency feedback coming from the surface an object rests on... useful for electronics and players but not for speakers.... they actually increase the instability of the speaker. Your stand should be rigid, tightly coupled to the floor and allow the speaker to freely radiate sound in all directions.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

19 hours ago, wwaldmanfan said:

Gotta hand it to Mapleshade getting folks to fork over $40 a set for these, when you can make them yourself for $2.32 and a few drops of glue. Tell me they are not the identical product.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-2C-Rubber-Cork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

5a57b88136e9b_Screenshot-2018-1-11MP-2C-DiversiTechMP-2C-RubberCorkAnti-VibrationPad2x2x78.thumb.png.b9f43dbd9b89852f6851c4e5dac0575d.png

Dang, wished I'd seen this before I bought 3 sets of Isoblocks. A little rubber glue and I could  have made my own for 25% of what I paid. :)

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 1/10/2018 at 4:53 PM, bobfa said:

I have a temporary rack in my cabinet that I have setup to take all the gear in and out so I can change and test.  Right now I have my Mytek DAC+ sitting on top of my JS-2.

For spacing as the DAC+ gets rather warm I use hockey pucks.  This is not for sound it is for air movement. Note that the DAC+ has a lot of air venting top and bottom so I assume it needs the air flow.

63FC6375-7DF6-4464-8F87-BE780453D103.thumb.jpeg.03cd9fffcc4e3577ff473aa03ad62c4f.jpeg

The hockey pucks are too big in diameter and slide around.  I am looking to add something between these two devices and maybe some others.  There will be a MacMini in the rack this weekend and so forth.  

In the long run the equipment will be put in some sort of audio racking system and I will want some better vibration reduction and some “cool” factor.  

Any suggestions?  This gear is physically small and a lot of the stuff I have seen is too big.

—RJF

BTW, this is very affordable and reasonably rigid/ well made for an inexpensive 4 shelf audio rack. Hopefully the number of shelves and shelf dimensions meet your needs

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGVULRK

Regards,

Dave

Audio system