On 1/7/2019 at 11:09 PM, Miska said:

Did you compare also DSD converted to 705.6 PCM in software before sending it to a Chord DAC? At least Mojo objectively (measured) performs much better this way than sending DSD there.

Miska, did I read you correct – HQPlayer should be set to none in filters and dither menus and to 705.6 sample rate in PCM defaults, and PCM should be selected in main window (for converting all DSD to PCM) while using Chord DACs such as Mojo and Qutest?  

4 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Miska, did I read you correct – HQPlayer should be set to none in filters and dither menus and to 705.6 sample rate in PCM defaults, and PCM should be selected in main window (for converting all DSD to PCM) while using Chord DACs such as Mojo and Qutest?  

No no, set filter of your choice like poly-sinc-ext2 or something, TPDF dither and PCM rate limit to 768k. You can also set "Auto rate family" if you like, but it is not necessary. Then select PCM in main window. This way all PCM and all DSD gets converted to 768k (or 705.6k).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 2:10 PM, OctavianH said:

After some time I had to restart my Qutest and I tried again the 3 output voltages. I had the same impression that 3V sound more dynamic and it is the best choice. Am I the only one hearing this?

Just saw this today. 3V theoretically has better SNR than 1V/2V. However the reason why 1V/2V are available is because many preamplifiers and receivers clips at 3V. I would say that’s one of the major reasons why the old 2Qute had widely varying reviews because it always give out 3V. That’s why Chord added the 1V/2V option. In fact, a friend recently told me he thought his Qutest shipped at 1V/2V. He paired his old 2Qute with his receiver and it was clearly clipping to my ear but he didn’t realize it and thought that’s just the sound of the DAC. He is much happier at 2V Qutest output with his receiver. Clearly, your Elise is compatible with 3V. 

• 2 months later...

Just some notes for Qutest owners

Bought a second hand uptone LPS1 and got a lovely boost at 5V. As it doesn't have the LT3045'S as the improved LPS1.2, i bought the LDOVR DXP regulator. A really nice boost, you will need another DC cable but fantasic SQ via a high quality power supply behind it.

I bought the single version and have the add on regulator coming soon.  so...

Havent seen many tweaks for the Qutest around, you guys heard anything? tips ect.?   I saw Darko had a weight on his.... advice.

Anything you think helped your set up, just looking to improve.....

Regardless have a lovely break all

Dave

• 2 months later...

Just received mine from HeadAmp now. This thing is just cool beyond belief. Packaging is an A+. Part of the experience to me. A big thanks to Justin at Headamp. Bought this and free two day shipping. Excellent.

I was on the fence about the Hugo TT 2 as an all in one replacing my Cavalli Liquid Fire and Wyred 4 Sound but after having this I might aim for that or a used Dave.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Ive been spoiled by it but like most gear it isnt the pinnacle there is always headroom for improvements, power, source, amp. I cant compare to other DACs but i think its a bargin. Power refines it, i tried NUC /Euphony player and got more out.

If you can test as much gear you can get your hands on before spending, i sold my mytek Brooklyn and bought blind... i was lucky the reviews were right.

Good luck regardless

Dave 😁

Just not sure about my next amp or keep my Gilmore lite mk2.

I upgraded my headphones to mr Speakers Ether2.  Something as lovely as a TT2  is out my league like a dream Bartok. But i am still waiting for the Rupert Neve Fidelice review headphone amp. But the cost... over double the original..

The point being the Qutest is the core of the system all others fit into..

Dave 😁

I'm running this w/Curious Cable and it is spectacular. I'm in one of those sessions where I'm bouncing around listening to different songs to test it. All great.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

On 5/16/2018 at 3:28 AM, jos said:

At first i used the middle one, but that was to loud in combination with my Amplifier, the Yamaha A-S2100, so I took the lowest setting. I didnt hear a sound quality change. The purpose of these settings are also to make a match with other source components. I don’t have any, so the lowest was the best choice in my case.

2 years later. I just picked up a Qutest to go with my S2100. I found the 2v setting to be perfect without any clipping. Have you changed  settings since then? Curious.

43 minutes ago, intensemojo said:

2 years later. I just picked up a Qutest to go with my S2100. I found the 2v setting to be perfect without any clipping. Have you changed  settings since then? Curious.

I think if you look at the Yamaha CD player offerings, they all output at 2V so I think setting Qutest to 2V output is the safest bet for not clipping.

That said, I think @Middy a good point about using 1V output too. Sometimes some amplifiers with their volume control would be more linear at specific volume settings. Meaning that you can listen to Qutest at 1V where say the S2100 volume is set at 12 o’clock to you can listen to Qutest at 2V where say the S2100 volume is set at 10 o’clock. Well, if your amplifier’s volume control is more linear and transparent at 12 o’clock than 10 o’clock, then Qutest would sound better at 1V than 2V. The original reason for having the 1V/2V/3V settings was that people were pairing the old 2Qute 3V output with amplifiers that were clipping which would obviously distort the sound. My take is that 1V or 2V should be fine and people should just set it to whatever sounds best to them. I usually think that people should use the highest voltage without clipping. But I’m beginning to understand that because of component synergies, this may not be the best choice for everyone.

22 hours ago, intensemojo said:

Yes, I’m on 2v now too and for a long time already, and it’s working fine. Two new additions afterwards to my setup are the EtherREGEN and Sonarworks. Quite happy with both of them, especially with Sonarworks (room correction software) in conjunction with Audirvana->ultraRendu.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Browniesbane said:

Got static from one speaker at low volume. Path is zen min>qutest>Rogue Sphinx. Last time this happened if it was dc offset ( on a different dac). Picking up the qutest I noticed it was fairly warm, is that normal or an indication of some problem  (like a dc offset)?

It is not DC offset because Qutest uses digital DC servo to get DC offset to <100uV

Qutest does run hot as with most Chord DACs. Sometimes I wonder if they’re using too small a box. Kind of like those Uptone products... But both companies say their products don’t overheat because there is a thermal breaker. But I’d leave the Qutest in a well-ventilated place.

I suspect your problem is a grounding issue. Qutest is not grounded. So if there is a long ground loop between your Zen Mini and Rogue Sphinx, you can get this static thing. I think there are two potential solutions:

1) Ground the Qutest and see if it goes away. You would have to use the digital coax input to ground the device I think. If you don’t know how to make a wire, you can always buy this: https://ifi-audio.com/products/groundhog/. But there is no guarantee this would work. It’s just a hunch.

2) Just make sure the ground loop between Rogue Sphinx and Zen Mini is as short as possible so that the leakage current is minimal. You can do that by making sure the Rogue Sphinx and Zen Mini power plugs are next to each other on your power bar (preferably) or power conditioner. That should reduce the ground loop impedance and not let the noise leak from the Zen Mini into the Rogue Sphinx into the speakers.

I would try #2 first. I’m assuming here you don’t have other stuff plugged into the Rogue Sphinx as the more complicated the connections, the more likely you’re going to get some funny ground loop somewhere.

https://www.atlhifi.com/shop/bare-pcb/pcb-for-dc-trap-blocker-filter-for-toroidal-transformers-toroids/?currency=GBP

But he has a corona message on his site.

Thats what i use as i have balanced isolation transformer that was humming but that was a high local voltage issue no DC offset. 249v in my home bouncing around...

Silly question are you using the supplied wall wart or something fancy?

Any chance of a ground loop ?

Try in another home you can try and see if the qutest is getting warm there?

Mines room temp only..

I am not qualified to give a real answer but definitely contact Chord with your concern. I know some guys here know how to measure DC offset if you are happy and safe too..

As the UK is locking down again you may not get a response soon. 

Not much help sorry but good luck..

Dave

41 minutes ago, ecwl said:

Qutest is not grounded

Whoa there...  What makes you think the Qutest is not grounded?  Note that in most cases, the ground/return path of the RCA interconnect from the Qutest to the preamp will ground it as most preamps (or integrateds) will have the ground/return of their RCA jacks tied to Ground.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

12 minutes ago, barrows said:

Whoa there...  What makes you think the Qutest is not grounded?  Note that in most cases, the ground/return path of the RCA interconnect from the Qutest to the preamp will ground it as most preamps (or integrateds) will have the ground/return of their RCA jacks tied to Ground.

I think we’re talking about the same thing. Rob Watts the designer says Qutest is not grounded. So as you pointed out the grounding path would go from the Zen mini through the Qutest into the Rogue. 
but I think the noise is not coming from Qutest as not being grounded. I think the noise is coming from a ground loop leakage current that John Swenson likes to talk about running from the Zen Mini through the Qutest into the Rogue. I may be wrong. But plugging the Zen Mini, Qutest and Rogue into the same power bar and if the problem resolved, that’s probably the answer?

I very much doubt that a "static" noise in one channel would have anything to do with grounding.  Any grounding issue would be expected to effect both channels equally.  First culprit I would rule out would be the possibility of a bad RCA cable.  Swap the cables L to R and test to rule out a bad cable.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio