I still have to build some DC starquad chords for that SR7.  If I went the Qutest or Hugo 2 route could just make a DC connector with my own micro termination.  Probably be better than any adapter add on.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Borrowing from the 2Qute, qutest and hugo2, here would be my dream Chord DAC.

Hugo 2 encasing, no LIPO Batteries, 12V DC input,  Hugo 2 amp stage and digital volume control with remote, outputs the same on Hugo 2, a full USB B input for streaming, inputs for future mini BLU, no galvanic isolation.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Since StarQuad cables have 4 wires to begin with, I really dunno what to do when micro USB would only need pin #1 for +5V and pin #5 for ground respectively

Have to get a little creative, doable.  Could even take an existing chord and make a short connection with those two leads.  Should be better than an adapter.

Something like this with LPS-1 @ 7V should work (7V→6V→5V) just fine, we'll simply replace one end with those micro USB connectors from Hirose

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30634-the-true-experimental-tweak-thread/?page=122&tab=comments#comment-730773

On 10/18/2017 at 3:11 AM, Cornan said:

IMG_6703-1.thumb.JPG.353618251988b74d039832397ddbf607.JPGIMG_6700.thumb.JPG.3e9a34020a240f4520d9878b0f2f9b5c.JPG 

I have made two versions with LT3045s with following output voltage:

1. For Aqvox switch. 6v & 5v. Powered with 7v.

2. For ISO Regen. 8v & 7v. Powered with 9v.

Cables used are from Canare 4S6 cables (just the double wires).

I hope that helps! ?

2 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Something like this with LPS-1 @ 7V should work (7V→6V→5V) just fine, we'll simply replace one end with those micro USB connectors from Hirose

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30634-the-true-experimental-tweak-thread/?page=122&tab=comments#comment-730773

Are you finding that those  LT3045's make a difference??   

Why not just a direct 5V from the LPS-1?

15 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Are you finding that those  LT3045's make a difference??   

Why not just a direct 5V from the LPS-1?

Not sure yet, though it really doesn't hurt to give that a shot at $26 a piece with free international shipping.

Since both 2Qute and Quetest should share a very similar / identical USB input chip from Atmel, what if I were paying someone else to modify that clock with one tap from sCLK-EX?

a63Nmde.jpg

I'm aware that even @romaz didn't try that with his Hugo 2 but nobody knows what would happen until we've done that. Since the warranty is already over and done with, it's gonna be fine to get rid of that micro USB input and simply hardwire the StarQuad DC cable afterwards.

39 minutes ago, barrows said:

I suspect he Qutest all be the best DAC under $5K for those who do not need balanced output or volume control (or may be able to use software VC).  I just recommended it to my brother as a really great upgrade for his setup.

I hope we will still see a new Hugo TT, as volume control and balanced outputs are needed by many audiophiles, including myself, and i prefer onboard power supplies (and please no battery/supercap nonsense)...

Without the TT Chord is missing a critical price point between DAVE-Qutest for a home system DAC (non-portable)

Wow, big statement conidering the new iFi DSD Pro was announced and it does have the features "missing" from the Chord, among others. Maybe lets wait till people hear them to decide which DAC is best. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, barrows said:

I suspect he Qutest all be the best DAC under $5K for those who do not need balanced output or volume control (or may be able to use software VC).  I just recommended it to my brother as a really great upgrade for his setup.

I hope we will still see a new Hugo TT, as volume control and balanced outputs are needed by many audiophiles, including myself, and i prefer onboard power supplies (and please no battery/supercap nonsense)...

Without the TT Chord is missing a critical price point between DAVE-Qutest for a home system DAC (non-portable)

My perspective as well, hence my post.  Huge price and feature gap.

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

10 hours ago, firedog said:

Wow, big statement conidering the new iFi DSD Pro was announced and it does have the features "missing" from the Chord, among others. Maybe lets wait till people hear them to decide which DAC is best. 

Qutest uses the same design as Hugo2, so there is no need to hear it, it has already been heard.  My statement was clear, that it is all that for those who do not need other "features".  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Just now, barrows said:

Qutest uses the same design as Hugo2, so there is no need to hear it, it has already been heard.  My statement was clear, that it is all that for those who do not need other "features".  

Still quite an assumption. How many times have we seen "it's the same, but" and it turns out not to be as good? Quite a few, I think. 

And besides, that still doesn't show someone else can't make a better DAC at a mid price point like the Qutest. How do you "know" they haven't. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 minutes ago, barrows said:

Totally agree!

21 minutes ago, barrows said:

Not an assumption, the sound quality of the H2 is well documented and the Qutest uses the same architecture.  The only difference pertaining to sound quality will be power supply, and with the Qutest one is able to use the power supply of their choice, which actually means better than H2 sound quality will be possible if a really good LPS is used...

I am going to build a really trick PS for my brother's unit...

Hi Barrows, I have been reading this as a part of an article on AVForum about the new Chord Qutest:

'Chord has made some interesting revisions to the hardware design too. The USB input is galvanically isolated which is something that the mobile models do without and unlike its predecessor, the Qutest can be run from a USB power supply – meaning depending on the other hardware you have at your disposal, you might not need a mains socket to run it at all.'

I guess it means that, for instance, if you have an USB Regen in your system with an LPS on it, you don't need a separate power LPS. I did not read this els-where, so it can be untrue.

I am not sure what they mean there, there is a separate micro USB jack for the power supply: do they mean to say it can also be powered from the USB jack used for the audio input?  I would suspect not, but do not pretend to know.

In any case, I will build a sweet "perfect" linear power supply to gift to my brother with a USB jack on it so it is super easy for him to incorporate with his unit (no stupid adapters or anything, all he will need is a standard USB-microUSB cable for power).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 minute ago, barrows said:

I am not sue what they mean there, there is a separate micro USB jack for the power supply: do they mean to say it can also be powered from the USB jack used for the audio input?  I would suspect not, but do not pretend to know.

In any case, I will build a sweet "perfect" linear power supply to gift to my brother with a USB jack on it so it is super easy for him to incorporate with his unit (no stupid adapters or anything, all he will need is a standard USB-microUSB cable for power).

I agree, the text is confusing and english is not my native language. Your brother is lucky with you!

3 minutes ago, mozes said:

To me Hugo 2 is more versatile with a volume control, headphone amp and desktop mode. You can also use it to drive high efficiency speakers!

Right, I would say the beauty of the Qutest is that it gives one the performance of the H2, for less money, for those who do not need extra features.  I need volume control and balanced outputs, for example, so it is not for me, but my brother has an nice integrated amp with single ended inputs, it is perfect for him.  And it does not use batteries which are no advantage and just a plain hassle in my experience.

SONORE computer audio

1 minute ago, barrows said:

Right, I would say the beauty of the Qutest is that it gives one the performance of the H2, for less money, for those who do not need extra features.  I need volume control and balanced outputs, for example, so it is not for me, but my brother has an nice integrated amp with single ended inputs, it is perfect for him.  And it does not use batteries which are no advantage and just a plain hassle in my experience.

I am not sure if the batteries are bypassed in the H2 when desktop mode is activated.

2 hours ago, mozes said:

I am not sure if the batteries are bypassed in the H2 when desktop mode is activated.

Your confusing barrows statement from Qutest to H2.    He is talking about the Qutest when referring to not using batteries.  I wish Chord would make a Qutest with volume control.  Rob says that the Qutest has an improved sound stage over the 2Qute, so it may be sufficient for my needs driving my high impedance speakers, as I do now with the 2Qute.  But, I was hoping for a volume control remote over using a mouse with JRiver.  Also it would be nice to properly control DSD, when needed.  Like I said before, I can't seem to get the perfect Chord design I desire at the right price point.

32 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Your confusing barrows statement from Qutest to H2.    He is talking about the Qutest when referring to not using batteries.  I wish Chord would make a Qutest with volume control.  Rob says that the Qutest has an improved sound stage over the 2Qute, so it may be sufficient for my needs driving my high impedance speakers, as I do now with the 2Qute.  But, I was hoping for a volume control remote over using a mouse with JRiver.  Also it would be nice to properly control DSD, when needed.  Like I said before, I can't seem to get the perfect Chord design I desire at the right price point.

I am talking about the H2 not the Qutest. I am ok with the batteries, that doesn’t bother me. In fact I consider it a plus when I want to power my Omegas without any AC mains. Iphone>H2>speakers

3 hours ago, mozes said:

I am talking about the H2 not the Qutest. I am ok with the batteries, that doesn’t bother me. In fact I consider it a plus when I want to power my Omegas without any AC mains. Iphone>H2>speakers

Yes, for mobility driving the speakers direct, H2 is the one.  All desktop mode is for the H2, is for charging mode, the batteries won't be fully charged and are trickle charged to maintain optimum charge level for operation of the H2 and battery life.  

Another advantage to the H2 over the Qutest is no galvanic isolation.  In the case of driving the speakers direct with the H2, it is not needed and possible would be a detriment to SQ.  The only thing I don't like is, from my understanding, that the H2 needs to see the 5V from the USB input, to power up, wish that wasn't so, unnecessary.  I also don't like the micro input, wish it was full USB 2.0.  

The H2 is more ideal than the Qutest for driving speakers direct for greater power output and remote digital control, just over 1 W, perfect for the Omegas.  

The big one is the batteries in the H2, my experience has been that they are a limiting factor to SQ and that a quality linear power supply would be superior???  You have the H2, Mozes?  Test it out.  I would love to be told differently.  Then I would maybe go H2 route for upgrade.

There is no technical reason to say that galvanic isolation of the USB is a detriment to sound quality, quite the opposite is true.

SONORE computer audio