Is USB straight from a computer to a Chord DAC; like the Qutest the best connection possible?  Has anyone here tested their Qutest connected directly to a computer / laptop with USB vs a network streamer?  I connect my Quest directly to my Mac Mini, which dedicated to only running ROON Core with an AudioQuest Diamond USB and I think it sounds great.  But could it sound significantly better if I eliminated the computer from the stream???  I've read lots that taking a usb connection directly from a computer is just a 'bad' idea but I've also heard that it really depends on how usb is implemented in the source and the DAC?  Specifically, I heard from Rob Watts himself that Chord DAC's are optimized for USB direct input.  So, I'm trying to decide if I need to try something like a SOTM SMS-200 Ultra or a Sonore UltraRendu but I'm hesitant to go to the expense and hassle of more boxes.   I recently read this about his $150K system: https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/opinion/1392-after-25-years-is-this-the-worlds-best-audio-system  Specifically:

"Some Facebook readers criticized me for not using an audiophile-grade music server or USB link. I responded that if anyone can show me a music server or USB link that actually sounds better that what I have in terms of resolution, tonality, soundstaging, imaging, whatever -- I’m all ears. But so far, I’ve heard nothing that has proven itself better-sounding or more versatile -- my computer plays any digital music format and file type from streaming services and my local music drive, and my USB link, with its lengthy length, transfers the bits just fine.

The reason I can get away with using a laptop has to do with the next component in the signal chain: the EMM Labs DA2 Reference DAC ($25,000). Designed by Ed Meitner, who’s been creating digital-audio products since the 1970s, the DA2 Reference seems immune to swaps of USB links, as well as differences in source components."

Am I missing something??

Just as an example: https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/new-optical-ethernet-streamer-from-sonore-systemoptique-sopt.7479/

Is it surprising I'm confused and skeptical?  Very frustrating!!!  Why should I have to go to the expense and hassle of buying everything, rewiring my house just so I can test this??  Then reviews (who get all the gear for free to test) say -we'll you have to trust your own ears!

14 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Nobody is forcing you to do anything you don’t want to do. Many people find the exercise enjoyable. 

Are you suggesting that you don’t want to test yourself, you want reviews to tell you the answer (as if there was a single right answer), and that because a review sample isn’t paid for the reviewer should give you a conclusive answer that solves the issue for what you will hear?

I’m a bit confused. 

I would be happy to test myself but it's difficult to do this now with quarantine as I can't borrow any gear.    With regards to your second question, YES! Actually, I do look to reviews to guide me and give me answers.  Why is that unreasonable?  Isn't that their JOB!!!