IGNORED

Better Roon Endpoints?

16 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

How about switch of WiFi as well ? ?

I thought about this but maybe the improvements we hear about because of COMPLETE isolation from mains power? I'm talking about the DAC USB input isolation only, of course.

Ethernet may not PERFECTLY isolate with it's little transformers (capacitive coupling maybe?).

So if you add ethernet to your iPhone you might be un-doing the benefits of the battery based USB source? 

Something for someone to try maybe but I'm in no rush. I'm late to the party, but I'm quite impressed.

As mentioned there is that trade-off with having the computer and wireless transmitter (the iPhone) close to the DAC but it MAY be the lesser of two evils - compared with coupled to mains power.

I do think you need the more expensive lightning adapter which allows charging (there's one lightning adapter that doesn't include the lightning charging port) - and charging should be with a battery powerbank, not wall plug, to keep all the benefits - if iPhone battery life is a concern.

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Yes indeed. Up to DSD512 (native) or DSD256 (DoP) if your DAC supports it and if your WiFi is robust and reliable.

Yep, see my post just above. There is a tradeoff here but maybe the battery based USB source wins in sound quality, even with having a computer/wireless transmitter near the DAC (the iPhone)? Maybe, maybe not.

I am liking the sound though and others have been surprised too (as above and on other threads/forums).

Thinking about this more...if the iphone will sound better than a rendu (with or without an lps?), maybe this may be an alternative to look at closer....

The main issue i see is the power...there is only one port on the iphone or tablet that can be used, and that same port is also used for power.....i wonder if they make a y adapter that allows it to be powered on a couple pins and the audio out another set of pins?

or do any of the tablets have more than one port (e.g. one port for power and one port for audio?).

1 minute ago, beerandmusic said:

Thinking about this more...if the iphone will sound better than a rendu (with or without an lps?), maybe this may be an alternative to look at closer....

Yup that's what this entire thread is about.

2 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

The main issue i see is the power...there is only one port on the iphone or tablet that can be used

Check links further up for the recommended Apple adapter that allows for charging.

5 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Did roon change their software specifically to support iphone or do you just configure it like any other usb interface?

This iOS endpoint support only came with a Roon update a few weeks ago. So Roon have obviously been working with Apple behind the scenes, to support this.

So Apple have allowed audio out of the iOS Roon app, out of the lightning connector via the official lightning to USB adapter. Then you use whatever USB cable to your USB DAC.

A really awesome solution.

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Please test and report back if that 2 months promocode isn’t working. 

My final solution will include either Alexa or Google Home support (preferrably alexa)....Roon told me that they were working on alexa support about a year ago, but even recent searches haven't found anything official....i wonder if there is any movement in this direction?

If ever go ROON, i will do lifetime...i will never buy into any subscription service...

23 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

My final solution will include either Alexa or Google Home support (preferrably alexa)....Roon told me that they were working on alexa support about a year ago, but even recent searches haven't found anything official....i wonder if there is any movement in this direction?

If ever go ROON, i will do lifetime...i will never buy into any subscription service...

Hehe you are really obsessed with Alexa. I'm guessing you already use it and can't live without?

I've never tried Siri or any voice commands. Maybe it's time I try it out.

2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hehe you are really obsessed with Alexa. I'm guessing you already use it and can't live without?

I've never tried Siri or any voice commands. Maybe it's time I try it out.

I just recently got alexa working to my home stereo in 2 different ways, and neither is optimum, but it really is sweet to just say turn on music and play my playlist, or play artist, or play track, etc.......I know now, that my final solution will definitely include my new girlfriend.

Back to the thread title,

I imagine the Allo USBridge to have a lower noise USB output and they sell an approved wireless adapter with it.

The USBridge can be powered with 5Vdc 2.1amps... so most battery powerbanks will suit. The big ones like the TP-Link I recommended pump out up to 2.5amp...

If I really like the iPhone endpoint (wireless) then a wireless USBbridge is what I'll get. Heck I might just get it to play with right now anyway.

https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html

https://www.allo.com/sparky/usb-wifi-dongle.html

It comes fully assembled by the way, so don't be afraid that it's a big DIY job.

While the iPhone is doing many things in the background (while still trying to minimise power consumption) a dedicated endpoint doing nothing other than being a Roon endpoint SHOULD be better...  I think I'll try it out.

4 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Back to the thread title,

I imagine the Allo USBridge to have a lower noise USB output and they sell an approved wireless adapter with it.

The USBridge can be powered with 5Vdc 2.1amps... so most battery powerbanks will suit. The big ones like the TP-Link I recommended pump out up to 2.5amp...

If I really like the iPhone endpoint (wireless) then a wireless USBbridge is what I'll get. Heck I might just get it to play with right now anyway.

https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html

https://www.allo.com/sparky/usb-wifi-dongle.html

It comes fully assembled by the way, so don't be afraid that it's a big DIY job.

It will be interesting to compare....please buy and share what you find, so i don't have to (wink).

But I thought you said the reason the iphone works as endpoint was because that ROON upgraded their software so it would support it...how does that relate to the allo?

5 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

It will be interesting to compare....please buy and share what you find, so i don't have to (wink).

But I thought you said the reason the iphone works as endpoint was because that ROON upgraded their software so it would support it...how does that relate to the allo?

Correct. The Allo has been working as an endpoint before the recent iOS endpoint feature.

Some (most) people don't care about lower noise USB output, like we do here.

The iOS endpoint feature just brings so much practicality to streaming around the house for many people. Not all Roon users are into tweaking as we are here... And that's more than ok of course. 

I was never open to the idea of a wireless endpoint but the iPhone has got me interested (after listening to music with it) and since the Allo can be configured to be wireless and has a better USB output (by design), it should be better in theory. Whether it is, I'm about to find out.

I'm happy to try and share. I can always use it around the house in another zone, even if it doesn't make it to my main listening setup.

2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Correct. The Allo has been working as an endpoint before the recent iOS endpoint feature.

Some (most) people don't care about lower noise USB output, like we do here.

The iOS endpoint feature just brings so much practicality to streaming around the house for many people. Not all Roon users are into tweaking as we are here... And that's more than ok of course. 

I was never open to the idea of a wireless endpoint but the iPhone has got me interested (after listening to music with it) and since the Allo can be configured to be wireless and has a better USB output (by design), it should be better in theory. Whether it is, I'm about to find out.

I'm happy to try and share. I can always use it around the house in another zone, even if it doesn't make it to my main listening setup.

I know i have read others talking about the allo (on this site as well as other sites for awhile), and many swear by it...I never gave it much thought mainly because the idea of wifi didn't appeal, but maybe it is worth a look....

^^^ I am always scouring the internet for different options, and I came across a Mcintosh wifi player, and i thought to myself at the time, who would ever pay that kind of money for wifi...but maybe wifi isn't such a bad idea after all...Maybe the idea that noise is the biggest difference between SQ interfaces, and that whether your source is $100 or $10K isn't as important as the interface itself....I have always said i preferred TOSLINK to usb regardless of price...even the cheap spdif output of my cheap asus vm60 sounds really good (better than most things regardless of price)...it just sounds "cleaner".  Maybe wifi can be the ultimate solution.  But why would the wifi reciever be better than something internal (like a music player with a sd card)?....

....back to topic....i am just talking to myself and letting my brain regurgitate....

12 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

i am just talking to myself and letting my brain regurgitate....

It's all good. We all have the same maddening interests here.

As I said way up also, I've never been fond of having a computer + wireless transmitter so close to my DAC either...

But after listening with the iPhone, maybe ethernet isn't isolating as well as I thought (capacitive coupling maybe?) all these years? Maybe? Maybe not. A battery based USB source is testing my thinking (after listening)

Now, the reliability and robustness of ethernet vs WiFi is another story. I don't do any up-sampling or DSP so my WiFi network isn't being tested/stressed.

6 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

It's all good. We all have the same maddening interests here.

As I said way up also, I've never been fond of having a computer + wireless transmitter so close to my DAC either...

But after listening with the iPhone, maybe ethernet isn't isolating as well as I thought (capacitive coupling maybe?) all these years? Maybe? Maybe not

Now, the reliability and robustness of ethernet is another story. I don't do any up-sampling or DSP so my network isn't being tested.

Yea, i hate wifi in general  (i have so much wifi already and i get drops all the time)...My door cam is running 24hrs, i have a dozen wifi plugs and lights, a half dozen alexas around the house (beckoning my every command)....I am sure if i ever go that route (e.g. wifi audio) that i will set up it's own dedicated wifi network, just so it doesn't have to compete....

Someone in another thread (i think bibo or something) said he knows of developers working on enet interfaces and that he suspect good improvements in enet soon......i hope so, and at a competitive price.

I really want a wired music server with alexa support with good reviews under $2k...i can't believe i am asking for too much (grin)....there are a few devices that come close, and I may even buy a ND8006 to hold me off until the right product comes along.  I don't really need roon, i would rather tell my girlfriend alexa what to play....you can even tell her to play something new....  I am actually finding myself willing to give a little in the SQ for a little more in the alexa friendliness....

1 minute ago, beerandmusic said:

i hate wifi in general  (i have so much wifi already and i get drops all the time)...

You sound like a prime candidate for trying a WiFi mesh system.

Eero Mesh or NetGear Orbi or Linksys Velop or Google Home WiFi 

Maybe start a thread in networking for advice.

I think your WiFi woes will immediately disappear. You can usually try for free and return within 30 days if you're not happy.

8 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

You sound like a prime candidate for trying a WiFi mesh system.

Eero Mesh or NetGear Orbi or Linksys Velop or Google Home WiFi 

Maybe start a thread in networking for advice.

I think your WiFi woes will immediately disappear. You can usually try for free and return within 30 days if you're not happy.

Yea, i came really close to buying the google system, but even so, i think i would prefer dedicated wifi for audio, IF i decide to go that route....(I have 2 routers and an extender already)....You kind of got me excited with this thread, as I don't want to pay for a $3K trifecta or ultra, but the more i think about it and as fast as things seem to be moving these days, I can live a little longer with my lowly TEAC NT503, until a real alexa solution is available....I am happy with the SQ I have already, and, if i wasn't i would probably buy a used pair of FOCALs first.

Saying i get drops all the time is probably an exageration....my main problem seems to be my alexa video phone system, and it's not really that bad....occasionally i have to tell my alexa to turn the same light on twice....but overall,  it's pretty stable.  I will probably buy a google wifi mesh  system after we move.