IGNORED

Better Roon Endpoints?

Just now, R1200CL said:

But you guys have different iPhone models ?

Doesn't matter. Running the same version of iOS and same version of Roon Remote app.

Just check you have the latest Remote app installed. There was an update a few days ago - maybe remove it from your iPhone and download it again? @davide256

21 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Doesn't matter.

I think you're correct.

Testing now. My iPhone 6 is now controlled by my iPad and the iPad shows it's playing after screen is off. (As I removed the keep screen awake option)

I have nothing connected to the iPhone, but that doesn't matter.

When I kill Roon in iPhone, of cause the iPhone disappears.

This one TP-Link TL-PBG6700 won a test here in Norway, as it was delivering according to given specifications. Very cheap.

iOS 11.2.1 is the latest iOS version.

11 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I think you're correct.

Testing now. My iPhone 6 is now controlled by my iPad and the iPad shows it's playing after screen is off. (As I removed the keep screen awake option)

I have nothing connected to the iPhone, but that doesn't matter.

When I kill Roon in iPhone, of cause the iPhone disappears.

This one TP-Link TL-PBG6700 won a test here in Norway, as it was delivering according to given specifications. Very cheap.

Nice! I have the TP-Link TL-PB20100. It's battery storage is massive and should give 18+ hours of continuous music playback.

Yes I have the same observations as you - the only time I lose connection with the iPhone, is when I close the Roon app on the iPhone. Other than that, Roon Core stays connected to the iPhone.

28 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Yes I have the same observations as you - the only time I lose connection with the iPhone, is when I close the Roon app on the iPhone. Other than that, Roon Core stays connected to the iPhone.

Actually if you open the iPhone app without start playing. It will be gone as audio zone when screen goes off.

So will the iPhone as an endpoint put out high res, like Hotel California that's MQA 24/192 ?

I have borrowed to someone my Explorer2. so I can't test.

On 07/01/2018 at 8:12 AM, davide256 said:

I'm floored by how good an iPhone6 sounds as a Roon endpoint feeding asynch USB, wondering what others have tried,

compared?

Back to the 1st post - I use the iPhone as an endpoint around the house but prefer the ultraRedu for my main setup.

I have my main WiFi router outside the listening room but still obviously use WiFi access inside the listening room for browsing Roon and the web from my iPad.

But I prefer to keep all wireless transmitting devices away from my DAC, so I prefer ethernet for this reason (RF/EMI).

Plus the uRendu is doing almost nothing other than Roon playback whereas the iPhone is doing non-audio related processes at the same time as music playback. Maybe that's a factor? Maybe not.

There's no question having iOS devices as endpoints changes many things for many people (including me) - such a great new feature.

I had Raspberry Pi's setup with their sometimes dodgy Wifi as endpoints around the house. They can all disappear with my iPhone doing that job now. A much cleaner and convenient experience.

I have available (Not necessary all mine)

iPhone 4

iPhone 6

iPhone 6 pluss 

iPhone 6s pluss

iPhone X

iPad Air 2

iPad 10,5 pro

Not sure how many of theses new endpoints I can test ?

Actually there shouldn’t be any difference, but there probably is. As already reported. Maybe someone is able to dig out the technical differences that may matter. I’m not sure what to look for. 

It seems Sonore Rendu series may have gotten a competitor. At a better price point.

So now we need a cable that goes from LPS-1 to lightning plug for changing. 

The latest iPod Touch should be excellent endpoint as well then ?

2 minutes ago, One and a half said:

I found the iPad with cck and Roon to work at Redbook , but at higher rates, it depended on the DAC, and didn’t work that well at 96 let alone 192.

Roon can’t see behind the cck is the main issue possibly.

I played DXD and DSD128 all day today thru iPhone X > LH Labs Pulse - very cool.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

9 hours ago, R1200CL said:

You're funny. HQPlayer is SW. Not an endpoint. And anyway, your post is a bit off topic. Unless you managed to install HQPlayer on an iDevice x-D

The topic didn’t start out, nor is it titled as iPhone specific ... but I do see that Roon now allows playback using the iPhone which is super cool and sounds great. 

Thst said, I can switch between output via HQPlayer, or iPhone so they both look like endpoints as far as my Roon is concerned ??‍♂️

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

WTF!! Did my iPhone X just crunch my microRendu in SQ as a Roon endpoint?

iPhone X > Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter > Curious USB cable > Chord DAVE

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

Just now, skatbelt said:

WTF!! Did my iPhone X just crunch my microRendu in SQ as a Roon endpoint?

iPhone X > Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter > Curious USB cable > Chord DAVE

Wow a massive difference? Not even close?

Can you describe the differences?

4 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Wow a massive difference? Not even close?

Can you describe the differences?

Well, a notch in realness and air but a not a small difference in low end control.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

2 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Well, a notch in realness and air but a not a small difference in low end control.

Very cool indeed.

I preferred my ultraRendu + LPS-1 > Hugo2

I only tested briefly. Maybe I should give it a bit more of a listen this weekend

7 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Very cool indeed.

I preferred my ultraRendu + LPS-1 > Hugo2

I only tested briefly. Maybe I should give it a bit more of a listen this weekend

Forgive me but I am in the process of being flabbergasted. I just replaced my Mac Mini (modded) / Uptone JS-2 / LPS-1 / SDD-drive / microRendu with my iPhone just for fun and out of curiosity. Never expected this result. My microRendu is the first generation one so may be that explains your preference.

4 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

My microRendu is the first generation one so may be that explains your preference.

Possible. I did find the ultraRendu quite a step up from the v1.3 (original) microRendu.

But still, sounds like I need to re-test this weekend. Nothing to lose.

11 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Forgive me but I am in the process of being flabbergasted. I just replaced my Mac Mini (modded) / Uptone JS-2 / LPS-1 / SDD-drive / microRendu with my iPhone just for fun and out of curiosity. Never expected this result. My microRendu is the first generation one so may be that explains your preference.

Just for another data point, on the issues higher up in the thread - can you lock your iPhone screen so that your display is off and music continues to play? 

With your iPhone display off, it never disconnects from your Roon Core and causes the music to stop?

I have killed all app's except for Roon, disabled Mobile data and Bluetooth, set display brightness to minimal and more or less standard have most apps not do a background refresh. But to answer your question, no I keep Roon active with the setting 'Keep screen awake' on. Drains the battery quite quick I experienced.

1 minute ago, Em2016 said:

Do you keep the screen awake because you have to? You lose Roon connection if the screen locks?

Or you keep the screen awake because you want to?

I simply did not try it. It's already late here in the Netherlands.... :) I will report back on this tomorrow.

1 minute ago, skatbelt said:

I simply did not try it. It's already late here in the Netherlands.... :) I will report back on this tomorrow.

No rush at all.

I have no problem with the screen locked - music keeps playing.

But some others above have a different experience with music stopping.

Just looking for additional experiences to try and maybe help them.